abhi95sinha's Config

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012
RE: Need a good AV ...!!

How's eset along with EAM or ESET v6 alone. I think it's good enough. btw I don't search for viruses so I don't think EAM will be required most of he time. :)

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011

did you try comodo atleast? i use comodo internet security suite on win 8 + hitmanpro+mbam and just installed eam7 which i found great improvements less false positive but the ui still looks like xp! do try comodo its great! eset is also good!

http://i.imgur.com/THGpD.png

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

I'm going to try it today :D

Update : Read 4m Umbra's thread that ESET + OAP is better than CIS

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

You need to use Comodo 5.12 for Windows 8
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-CIS-5-12-for-Windows-8

abhi95sinha said:
Update : It doesn't work with windows 8

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
abhi95sinha said:
Yaa it's one of the best. Btw, have you tried comodo dragon?

I haven't no, but there are lots of members around the forum that do use it. I'm sure that NSG001 uses it. :)

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Earth said:
You need to use Comodo 5.12 for Windows 8
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-CIS-5-12-for-Windows-8

Searching for Umbra's firewall setup guide

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: abhi95sinha's Config - Need a good AV

I was using Norton 2012, but updated to Norton AV 2013 today. So far so good.

But no not Norton and AVG together, I don't think that's a sensible thing to do.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012

Like Earth Said I too would recommend any one so you should choose between NORTON and AVG

D

Deleted member 178

abhi95sinha said:
Thanks. Btw, how's dragon n icedragon? Are they any good? :huh:

im using both of them instead the "original" ones. so far so good.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

Avira Free Edition is also fabulous if you are astute and fairly skilled. I always remember it being easy to live with.

You could go outside the box like me; Threatfire AV Level 5:
http://download.cnet.com/ThreatFire-AntiVirus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10726873.html
You will be whitelisting for a while, but once you get it set up (similar to training a firewall) you can shut it down when you run certain programs, out of the blue, that you know are legit. Just right click the toolbar icon and select "suspend". I do this when I use certain programs that I won't be using again, or for quite a while.

Add Sandboxie for unfamiliar sites and random search engine surfing.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

If your using Windows 8 then you do not need any 3rd party security. Threatfire is not an antivirus. Its a behavior blocker which is no longer in development.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

The currently supported program is labeled "Threatfire AV". I am fully aware that it is a behavior blocker, and it is very underrated because no one has tested malware against it at security LEVEL 5. If a mouse farts in my tower, I know about it. That is the gist.

As far as support, I have been downloading database and product updates for months (since I first started using TF) via the taskbar icon command. I am downloading a product update as we speak.

PC Tools (now Symantec, I think) never has marketed TF as a stand alone security program. They recommend it be used along side you AV. I prefer to use it in tandem with Sandboxie.

D

Deleted member 178

Aventador said:
If your using Windows 8 then you do not need any 3rd party security.

i will never trust Microsoft built-in security, just my opinion :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

i will never trust Microsoft built-in security, just my opinion

I heard that, loud and clear. No doubt. Trusting Microsoft built-in security is like trusting an imaginary babysitter. Now if Microsoft was headquartered at Kaspersky or Dr. Web in Muscovy, that would be different.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.