Battle Adguard Chrome Extension vs Adguard for Desktop

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I'm looking for a good and efficient adblocker for the family computer. It has Chrome installed and IE is disabled. I've installed AdGuard browser extension with these 3 filters (AdGuard base filter, AdGuard Annoyances filter and Adguard spyware filter). They seem to be doing a good job till now. Since Chrome is the only application for which I need to block the ads will there be any benefit in purchasing the AdGuard for Desktop? People here at MT seems to recommend the Desktop version instead of the extension.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I'd stick with the browser extension if I were you. There's very little reason to spring for the desktop application if you're only going to be blocking ads in Chrome, not to mention the desktop application costs money and slows page load times enough to be noticeable.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I'd stick with the browser extension if I were you. There's very little reason to spring for the desktop application if you're only going to be blocking ads in Chrome, not to mention the desktop application costs money and slows page load times enough to be noticeable.

I have it installed on 5 computers with different configurations and OSs and never noticed any slowdown. I would check for conflicting software.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Depending on what Google intends to do. The desktop version might be the best option.

Our comment on Google Chrome's proposed extensions platform change
Chrome - Chrome Extension Manifest V3 May Break uBlock Origin Content Blocker

This still isn't final. So it might be possible adblocking extension won't be affected. We will have to wait and see.
I have it installed on 5 computers with different configurations and OSs and never noticed any slowdown. I would check for conflicting software.
Yeah I also use Adguard Desktop on my Gaming PC and so far have not noticed any problems(although I use just 3 filters).

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I would go with the desktop version it will protect all your browsers and more, granted if you are using browser it does not know about you will need to add it to its filtered app list which is very easy.

Another way to go would be Blackfog Desktop

L

Local Host

I would go with the desktop version it will protect all your browsers and more, granted if you are using browser it does not know about you will need to add it to its filtered app list which is very easy.

Another way to go would be Blackfog Desktop
Is another beast that does more than ad-blocking, overkill if we all we want is ad-blocking per se. The price you pay for 1y license of Blackfog you can get a Lifetime license for Adguard.

Adguard is totally worth it, and never had any issues with it in 2 years, plus I help them with bugs and lists.

jelle

Dec 24, 2013
I'm looking for a good and efficient adblocker for the family computer. It has Chrome installed and IE is disabled. I've installed AdGuard browser extension with these 3 filters (AdGuard base filter, AdGuard Annoyances filter and Adguard spyware filter). They seem to be doing a good job till now. Since Chrome is the only application for which I need to block the ads will there be any benefit in purchasing the AdGuard for Desktop? People here at MT seems to recommend the Desktop version instead of the extension.
chrome extensions ...aguard is good ..ublock origin is better and lighter .. the desktop version adguard 7.1 it slows pages but not much in this version they fix it for a big part .. adguard is the only one who blocks ads from from windows store apps and it does a good job on this no more ads in the apps ... in the desktop version there is no need to have a extension ...its all in adguard 7.1 desktop . it works fine . i.m happy with this version it works very good

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I have an active license for the desktop application, but I don't like that they use a root certificate filtering HTTPS connections.
So I'm using the (beta) extension.

you can disable that option in configs if u want

I've already used both. For now i'm using Adguard for Windows,and i'm loving it. I do like chrome extensions (like ublock origin) too but they have a problem: they block most cookies, so in case you need it in a determined site, you'll have to whitelist/disable it on that site. It's not a huge problem, but it sucks when you forget it

Reactions: Nevi

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
It should because it is not an AV. The only issue I can see is an AV who prevent installation of 3rd party browser certificates.
It has in the past conflicted with both ESET and Kaspersky. They are usually very fast to fix these problems when they happen.
Mostly because what I said above, and both have HIPS.
Thanks @Umbra and @mlnevese
I will install it together with Kaspersky… Do you know if the conflict with Kaspersky is fixed nowadays ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.