Adguard for Windows

Product name
Adguard for Windows
Pros
  • See review
CONS
Memory usage is a bit high (this has been dealt with the latest Beta)
sometimes the GUI seemed sluggish while opening
BOTTOM LINE
See review

reyes

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 5, 2013
This type of software doesn’t require an introduction, because we are all familiar with Ad blockers and what it does. There are lots of Ad blockers in the industry and the two most used are 1) Adblock Plus (extension) 2) Admuncher (Programme). So what makes Adguard so special in a high competition sector??

Before I begin let me remind you some types of Ads we might encounter while using the Internet.
  • Text ads
  • Animated or gif-banner
  • Java and Flash banners
  • Video ads
  • Pop-ups
  • Interstitial webpage
  • Widgets of social networks
  • Contextual advertising

Some of these ads may be dangerous as they might redirect you to malicious websites. Most of these ads are harmless but they are definitely annoying

Adguard developed by Performix LLC changed the game in Adblocking sector with some superior technology like
  • Https filtering
  • Early removal of advertising elements: Adguard blocks advertising elements even before they are started to load into the browser
  • Use of Windows Filtering Protocol Network Driver so as to filter Modern UI application and IE in Enhanced Protection Mode
  • Filtering of programs like Skype, uTorrent, avast and others

While Admuncher hasn’t been able to filter https pages and Internet Explorer and Adblock plus has been accused of causing High RAM usage in Firefox also its not yet compatible with IE Enhanced protection Mode

Installation & License terms

Adguard provides a Full 14 day trial for us to test and know about its abilities

Adguard Offers 2 types of License

Standard License provide
  • Blocking of ads and popups
  • Malware protection

Price: One Pc One year: 19.95 $
One Pc Lifetime License: 49.95 $

Premium License provide
  • Blocking of ads and popups
  • Malware protection
  • Parental Control
  • Priority support

Price: One Pc One year: 24.95 $
One Pc Lifetime License: 59.95 $

Don’t worry if you cannot afford to buy a license. Adguard has provided a promotional offer through which you can enjoy the full version of Adguard. Just recommend Adguard to 4 of your friends via a unique referral link, and if they install it, you'll be awarded with a 1 year bonus license which is equivalent to a standard license. You can read more about it athttp://adguard.com/en/get-adguard-for-free.html

Download Link (online installer): http://adguard.com/en/download.html?show=1

The installation is pretty straight forward and after the installation you will be greeted with a configuration wizard where you can choose according to your preferences.
Adguard1.png

adguard2.png

Adguard User Interface

adguard3.png

The Adguard GUI is simple and straightforward. The developer had put some extra efforts to provide a concise description of each and every option in the GUI. Most of the options can be easily turned off and on. You can select “Extended interface” to adjust advanced options. The GUI is divided into 5 parts.

• Protection
  • Settings
  • Support
  • License
  • About

Adguard Protection

Adguard protection contains 3 Main Modules.

They are:

(1) Ad Blocker

(2) Browsing Security

(3) Parental Control

(1) Ad Blocker Module

The Adblocker Module is responsible for the removal of popups, animated ads, banners, video ads and other types of ads. This is done through the various Filter lists that are being updated frequently.

Ad blocker filters list

a. English filter— Ad filter for the English speaking Internet. This list is originally based on the EasyList filter and modified by Adguard according to the complaints from users (this is a language specific filter if the user is Russian then Russian Filter is activated at first instead of English Filter)

b. User filter — Filters that're manually added are stored here. Even if you add an exception or hide some elements of a website, the rules are stored here. And can be activated/deactivated when needed.

c. Spyware filter — the most complete list of various Internet trackers. This filter is developed by Adguard

d. Social networks widgets filter — this filter is to remove the "Like" and "Tweet" buttons on the pages of websites. This filter is developed by Adguard

e. Experimental filter — special filter created by volunteers. Anyone can take part in creating this filter.

f. Filter for useful ads— Filter that allows ads that may be useful to users. Advertising that falls under this filter shall comply with a set of rules.

Note: In the latest beta they have added an option to use ABP filter subscriptions.

(2) Browsing Security Module

The Adguard Browser Security Module is a special module that protect us from Malicious and Phishing website. They consist of Adguard’s own filters and Googles Safe browsing service provided by Google.

Adguard Browser Security filters

· Phishing sites filter

· Malicious sites filter

The Adguard for Windows will check each object loaded on it in addition to the page itself whereas the Adguard browser extensions inspects only those pages that you visit.

Adguard uses the protocol Safe Browsing API version 2.2 so as to keep personal data safe. I was informed that their servers know nothing about the websites that we visit as they use hash prefixes for checks instead of opened URLs.

To know more please visit this link http://adguard.com/en/how-malware-blocked.html

(3) Parental Control Module

The latest addition to Adguard is the Parental Control Module. It will be of great use for parents to protect their children from various online threats and restrict them from visiting pages with inappropriate content.

Some of the Features are listed below

· Safe Search will be enabled (most of the explicit and unacceptable contents will be excluded from search result of search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo)

· Using the Parental Control, one can also restrict anyone from downloading any exe file to the computer. This prevents children from downloading and installing any software/game/harmful executable off the internet.

· Password Protection: so as to prevent children from altering the settings and bypass the parental control module

· Pre-defined Sensitivity Level: we can select from a set of 3 pre-defined level which detects the protection level to be applied.

· Whitelist and Blacklist option

Adguard Assistant

Even though Adguard consists of huge filtering list it can still miss out some sites. To overcome this issue a special browser module has been developed by Adguard named Adguard Assistant. The Adguard Assistant will help you to manually block any content on a website with ease. The Assistant is also integrated with WOT reputation so that when you visit a site the assistant will show the site’s reputation according to the WOT which will give added security. When you manually block an element using Assistant, the rule will be added to the user Filter.

Note: They have made a separate extension for WOT in the latest Beta so from now on you can disable it, if you don’t want to use WOT.

Element hiding using Assistant
Element1.png

Element2.png

Element3.png

Element4.png

Adguard Settings
adguard5.png

I am going to show some of the significant settings option that you might want to check out.

· Main settings page

“Activate the most appropriate filters automatically”:- it automatically activates the language specific filters appropriately according to websites you visit (for ex if you visit a Russian website the Russian filter will be activated so as to filter that page

· Adblocker Settings

User Filter: - You can manually add your own rules under this tab

If you are interested in learning about how to create your own rules please visit this page to know more http://adguard.com/en/filterrules.html

· Browser settings

Here you'll find the list of browsers that are supported by Adguard by default. You can also manually add any browser, if the one you use, isn't on the default list, by clicking on the “Add a browser“ option. Actually you can even add some popular programs like Skype, uTorrent etc. and Adguard will filter these as well.

· Extension settings

Adguard now supports userscripts. Adguard Assistant is actually a userscript. From this settings tab you are able to install new userscripts which you like.

· Network settings

Filter https protocol: when enabled let you filter https pages

Use WFP network driver: The advantage to using the WFP driver is it can filter Internet Explorer 64-bit with Enhanced Protected Mode enabled and Metro UI Apps. This option is disabled in default but you can try it out and if you find any issue you can always revert back to stable network driver by unchecking this option. It’s almost stable now and is expected to be the default option in the later builds.

Let’s find out what are the strategies used by Adguard for Ad blocking

Adguard uses several blocking strategies simultaneously so as to completely remove all annoying ad banners from websites

· Blocking ads by URL

· Blocking ads using CSS

· HTML code filtration

I am not going too technical into these strategies. If you need to know more about these strategies please take a look at their official Website.

http://adguard.com/en/how-ads-blocked.html

My Personal experience

I always wondered what are the qualities required for a product to be a top class one. Adguard has all the qualities to become a wonderful product and the qualities I found apart from it being a stellar product is it’s backed with an outstanding support from the developer. The developer actually hears what the customers wants and have done all that he could do to implement those features. The latest example being the Memory management (in Beta stage) and the ability to add custom filter subscriptions (in Beta stage). If you want to enjoy an ad free web experience that extends to all the popular browser I highly recommend Adguard for Windows.

Last edited:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
That's one lame excuse to not recommend or use Adguard. A lot of security and productivity software create start-up entries which are far worse.

It certainly is a excuse not to use adguard because nothing I have installed slows down my startup & If something I install slows down my startup I instrantly uninstall.

No wonder I don't download things anymore

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
It certainly is a excuse not to use adguard because nothing I have installed slows down my startup & If something I install slows down my startup I instrantly uninstall.

Do you use some software to measure startup time?
Our service startup time is about 1-3 seconds and it is rather fast for windows service.

Where do i download it?

You can get the latest beta here:
http://download.adguard.com/d/2/adguardInstallerBeta.exe

But be aware it is beta version and there're some known bugs right now.

Garak1138

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2014
AdGuard is great product. I've been using it for past month or so, great add blocking. I have never noticed any slowdown of system start-up because of it.
Btw, nice review!

Reactions: XhenEd and reyes

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I am using Ad Block plus free as chrome extension and it's doing a very good job. Not sure what extra it does !! I don't feel any difference with ABP on and off performance wise.

reyes

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 5, 2013
I am using Ad Block plus free as chrome extension and it's doing a very good job. Not sure what extra it does !! I don't feel any difference with ABP on and off performance wise.
you can also try out adguard extension for chrome. it uses much less memory than ABP

Reactions: Kent
R

RevolutionSphere

you can also try out adguard extension for chrome. it uses much less memory than ABP
Is the Adguard extension worth checking out for Firefox, or should I just stick with ABP?

Last edited by a moderator:

nastavnikhe

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 16, 2012
What is the difference between Adguard extension and Adguard Premium version?

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
What is the difference between Adguard extension and Adguard Premium version?

Hi @nastavnikhe!

Adguard for Windows:
1. Works for all browsers
2. Better ads blocking. The difference is that Adguard for Windows filters page content *before* browser get it.
Detailed description of how it works is here: http://adguard.com/en/how-ads-blocked.html

3. Better phishing and malware protection:
+ Adguard for Windows checks all requests (extension checks webpage requests only, windows version checks all objects loaded to the page)
+ Adguard for Windows uses Safebrowsing v2 protocol. It is faster and more safe than lookup API used by extensions.
Detailed description is here: http://adguard.com/en/how-malware-blocked.html

4. Adguard for Windows has parental control module.

Alucard

Level 2
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
I love AdGuard, it is just an overall amazing product and I am really happy that I got it.
Honestly, to anyone who doesn't have it and is considering to get it, don't hesitate.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.