Advice Request Adguard with torrenting

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Here's a strange issue I've been having with Adguard for Windows DNS protection feature. It's odd, but whenever I have that feature enabled no torrents seem to work right. They cannot connect to the tracker. I've tested this with torrent IP detection from IPleak.net and from mullvad.net, neither one works right. If I disable that feature in AdGuard they both work fine. I know the issue is not NextDNS, because I can use YogaDNS connected to NextDNSas a means to prevent DNS leaks and it works fine. This issue is not torrent client related, because it happens with both qbittorent and pico torrent. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you solve it?

(This still happens with the 7.7 version, FYI.)

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
I have not experienced this issue but I have Adguard for Windows + Adguard VPN and torrents work just fine.
I think perhaps the simplest solution would be to leave that feature disabled when u are downloading torrents.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Well, duh! I mean, that's like going to the doctor and saying "Doc, it hurts when I do this!" The the doctor says, "Well, don't do that then!" Obviously. But there has to be a root cause.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have been using AdGuard 7 for Windows for a while with the DNS module enabled and didnt see any issue with torrenting (qBittorrent).

If I did understand right you are using NextDNS servers, if you change for Cloudflare does torrenting work?

It is a very odd issue, maybe @avatar can help you here.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
This gets weirder. There is no issue with CF. ipleak.net was able to see an ip through the torrent, which is what's supposed to happen. If I immediately switch back over to NextDNS is stops working. But I don't see any reason for this; there's nothing in the NextDNS log to indicate an issue.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This gets weirder. There is no issue with CF. ipleak.net was able to see an ip through the torrent, which is what's supposed to happen. If I immediately switch back over to NextDNS is stops working. But I don't see any reason for this; there's nothing in the NextDNS log to indicate an issue.
You should probably report it to Adguard/NextDNS or use NextDNS via YogaDNS and turn of Adguard's DNS module.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I figured it out! NextDNS has "DNS Rebinding Protection" enabled. For whatever reason, nothing blocked by that was ever logged as being blocked. After creating an allow rule for the socks5 I'm using, yes wireguard and also proxied (only possible with Mullvad I think), everything works fine!

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.