Troubleshoot Administrative Rights Problem

chcbkkr

Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2014
So today I decided to open BitTorrent to see if there was a new update available, except I couldn't because I got a message saying "Your system administrator has blocked this program. For more information, contact your system administrator." Which is funny because I am logged in as admin and I don't remember "blocking" it. So I tried running BitTorrent as administrator and it works, which is fine but I used to not need administrative rights to run it.

I don't know why I thought of it but I decided to reinstall, only to find out I can't uninstall from Programs and Features. Whenever I try to do so, I get a message saying "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall BitTorrent. Please contact your system administrator." But I am the administrator....

I tried reinstalling it without uninstalling, which works without new problems popping up, but it didn't change anything. Still needs admin rights to open. Still can't uninstall from Programs and Features.

I wanted to see if I could just get it to uninstall so I can reinstall a clean copy. I found this and tried doing the first option, but I couldn't find it in both "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall," but I did find it in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall." I tried using the data value from there to uninstall using elevated command but then I get "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."

I'm going to try uninstall in Safe Mode, but I have a feeling that won't work for one reason or another. Not really sure why this is happening either. Can anyone give some insight and some help?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.