Ads on opera startpage on mobile

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I used Opera since december 2019 on my smartphone. Now it started to show ads on the speed dial page while using duck duck go as search engine.

Anyone noticed those popunder ads also?

Replaced Opera with Brave on my phone with startpage as search engine (and block javascript on [*.]startpage.com to block startpage ads)

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I used Opera since december 2019 on my smartphone. Now it started to show ads on the new tab page while using duck duck go as search engine.

Anyone noticed those popunder ads also?

Replaced Opera with Brave on my phone with startpage as search engine (and block javascript on [*.]startpage.com to block startpage ads)
I have not ads. I used Opera to my smartphone and to my tablet. But i use google as search engine

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I had adblock enbled, but the popunders came from speeddial not from new tab page (corrected first post).
There is an option in the settings to turn off "promoted speed dials". I have always disabled it and have set show new to "never". I have always disabled "continue shopping and booking blah blah"

Also Opera has a default list excluded from adblocking

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I always have adblock enabled on both the phone and desktop version. It's highly recommended and I also use speeddial and the same search engine.
There is an option in the settings to turn off "promoted speed dials". I have always disabled it and have set show new to "never". I have always disabled "continue shopping and booking blah blah"
Can you please help and show where that settings are located? I'm curious.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Perfect. Waiting...
Here are the settings to be changed

Adblocker exceptions.PNGDelete those.PNGNews based on history.PNGnever.PNGSpeed dial.PNG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.