Advice Request Advise regarding protecting my computer

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing well. I would like advise from the forum members about two things:

1. Can you recommend an anti virus which is not simply set and forget like F-secure but one which I can tweak? I do not wish to use Kaspersky because of personal reasons. So, I am inclined to use one which is highly customizable. I do not mind paying :)

2. Completely aside from point 1, is there a good way to protect my computer for free? For example, using Defender UI to configure windows defender or use @Andy Ful tool to configure my windows defender, and then use Comodo firewall alongside it using @cruelsister settings? For my browser, I plan on using Ublock origin+ privacy badger + Emsisoft's extension.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

I look forward to learning from you all.

Thank you.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
1. Can you recommend an anti virus which is not simply set and forget like F-secure but one which I can tweak? I do not wish to use Kaspersky because of personal reasons. So, I am inclined to use one which is highly customizable. I do not mind paying :)
ESET is a very customizable and effective solution.

2. Completely aside from point 1, is there a good way to protect my computer for free? For example, using Defender UI to configure windows defender or use @Andy Ful tool to configure my windows defender, and then use Comodo firewall alongside it using @cruelsister settings? For my browser, I plan on using Ublock origin+ privacy badger + Emsisoft's extension.
Seems like a strong free config to me. You might as well want to check out Simple Windows Hardening:

And web-protection by using secure DNS like:

1. NextDNS
2. Quad9 | A public and free DNS service for a better security and privacy

Secure DNS can make extensions like Emsisoft Browser Protection redundant if you are browsing carefully.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
What you need it common sense, avoid using pirated/cracked/torrented or otherwise illegal softwar, dont download, click, and run everything you recieve, be it from an "friend" on Discord or other messaging services, dont open unsolicited email links and attachments (always check the sender address, the URL's themself, spelling, etc, dont open random office documents), and most importantly keep your system and applications up to date

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
Thank you @SecureKongo and @ScandinavianFish for your answers and valuable advise. Since I am learning, I will have questions and I hope you dont mind if I ask.

For now, I have one question. I checked the release notes for Comodo Firewall - last update was way back in March 2020. All info here: Comodo Internet Security Release Notes

Is it therefore still worth it to use Comodo Firewall, especially considering the developers are not paying any attention to it? (perhaps @cruelsister if you have time- may be you can give me some advise.). Thank you.

Reactions: Sorrento and Kongo

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If you want to adjust settings, I think software such as ESET and Avast are candidates for choice. In recent years, it seems that security software tends to simplify settings, so I guess that the target products will be narrowed down.
Have you ever had any reactions while using Kaspersky other than tests and false positives? If that didn't happen, I think a defender would be fine. I think the Defender UI settings screen can withstand the desire to tweak the software.
Comodo might be a good option if you like settings and tweaks. However, regarding recent comodo, it is a concern that the direction of how to proceed with this software in the future is unclear.
:)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Aforementioned, one of ESET's strongest advantages is it's tweaking possibilities. The fact that it includes an HIPS and a rule creator will alow you to do great things. But beware, with a great power comes a great responsability. Such modules are a powerful tool you must learn to use in order to not break your operating system.
Aside from HIPS, this antivirus is highly configurable in almost every module.

Another antivirus that will let you do this is AVG with its "geek:area". There are plenty of interesting and useful options there that will let you set the product up the to identity you want.

To conclude, I know you don't want to use it, sadly, but Kaspersky is really good at letting you configure the product at the extense you want, and offers solid protection.

Options that come to mind:
  • WiseVector + Anti-Executable
  • Free AV (Defender or 3rd Party) + SysHardener/H_C
  • CS' CFW with signatures from Microsoft Defender

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you are a home user, you avoid pirated downloads, and you excercise healthy caution with emails, you don't have a lot to worry about.
Any good antivirus is good enough, including Microsoft Defender.
If you want to up your security even more, Andy Ful's tools are great.
If you want super security, consider adding VoodooShield.

Comodo Firewall is buggy and inconsistent. I cannot recommend it.

A password manager can help you stay away from phishing sites, because if the site is not the real one, it won't recognise it, and won't give you the password.

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

• Microsoft Defender + (Hard_Configurator + ConfigureDefender + FirewallHardening)
  • Macrium Reflect Free
  • uBO
Apply maximum protection settings for all areas and the above configuration shall provide you reliable, easily maintained ultra-paranoid protection.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
When you install Hard_Configurator then Configure Defender and Firewall Hardening are already included (in Hard_Configurator). So with one install you get a lot of options for extra security. Other than that backup (macrium free or some like aomei) and an ad blocker would be the bare minimum requirement.

Last edited:

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Thank you so much @SecureKongo for these tips. I am not just new to having my own computer but also new to understanding all of these. I hope it is fine if from time to time, I keep posting silly questions to learn more from this community. Thank you again.
I'm pretty sure that's what the forum was made for. Ask whatever you want as long as you can learn a thing or two. ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

Thank you :)
It is customary for people to promote what they think is the best solution here. Then there are the incessant debates of what is best, what is most secure, what security paradigm is the most effective, most user friendly, etc. Others think this forum is their own private marketing promotion platform. The result for you is information overload. It is a distraction from youf goal which is only to protect your local system.

The most important thing is to find what works for you and that you keep using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.