Battle Anti-ransomware and anti-keylogger: ZoneAlarm or Hitman Pro Alert

alakazam

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Which of the two provides the best anti-ransomware and anti-keylogger: ZoneAlarm (Extreme Security and Anti-Ransomware - they are two different programs cause the anti-ransomeware tool is not included in ZoneAlarm's Extreme Security software for some reason :confused:) or Hitman Pro Alert (which is a single program that contains both the anti-ransomeware and anti-keylogger features)?

ZoneAlarm's two programs are a bit more expensive than Hitman Pro Alert. Which of the two companies should I go with? :unsure: With Hitman Pro Alert will I need any other antivirus security or will this work as a real-time antivirus too?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
HitmanPro.Alert is not a replacement for an antivirus program. It is a companion program.
Its ransomware protection is so-so.

I am not personally familiar with ZoneAlarm ransomware protection, but I can tell you that it is not a leader in that area.

The best anti-logger is SpyShelter.

There is no effective way to prevent ransomware on its own, because it comes in too many kinds. It's like getting a headache -- there are 50 possible causes for it.
The only effective way to prevent ransomware is to prevent all malware, and that means setting up a good security strategy in general.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Most modern av companies provide ransomware protection with their AV

I like to default deny everything, with a notify from sw to see whats happening so i can prevent malware from running

I like comodo sandbox alot

Those anti-ransomware products are just monetizing mostly, theyre lotto since ransomware is evolving faster than anti-ransomware tools do

G

Genux

The best way to prevent Ransomware and Loggers are to avoid them rather than relying on specific tools to block them. At your current pace, you'll be searching days on-end for every an Anti-X program available (Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Adware, Anti-Logger, Anti-Ransomware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Autorun, Anti-FirewallBypass, Anti-SandboxDetection) et cetera. I would advise to find a security application that permits only Whitelisted Applications, also known as Default-Deny.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
The best way to prevent Ransomware and Loggers are to avoid them rather than relying on specific tools to block them. At your current pace, you'll be searching days on-end for every an Anti-X program available (Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Adware, Anti-Logger, Anti-Ransomware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Autorun, Anti-FirewallBypass, Anti-SandboxDetection) et cetera. I would advise to find a security application that permits only Whitelisted Applications, also known as Default-Deny.
Good advice. Anyway if I would suggest a specific software I would say Zemana AntiLogger.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
IMHO HitmanPro.Alert can be a pain in the posterior - I have a three year licence & I have removed it, if ever I have any issue with a program I can guarantee it's Hitman. Adding exclusions is hit and miss & often does not work. The program will remove exclusions whenever it bloody well feels like it. FP's even when reported are rarely fixed, I was a fan of it but not anymore. Maybe the best protection against Ransomware is regular images (I use Macrium Reflect) copy images & all your docs, pics & music etc. to external drives & never plug two in at the same time - I now have ESET SS & ZAL, also OSArmor.

alakazam

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Yeah, I don't really know if constant worry about copying, backing up, plugging in and unplugging stuff is the best approach. It might work for some people, but when you work with large files, such as video recordings (like, if you're a YouTuber / vlogger etc.), photos, Word files in which you write everyday (if you're a writer working on a novel), it gets frustrating to have to constantly remember on which hard drive you placed the latest versions of your files, to go through the process of backing up every time you decide to sit down an write for half an hour etc.

As for Zemana AntiLogger, it seems pretty expensive. It has the same price as the discounted Black Friday version of the ZoneAlarm security suite (which contains a lot more features than Zemana's). I guess I'm gonna choose ZoneAlarm...

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
For anyone that doesn't have a simple / organised back up system, a hard drive failure will put them in exactly the same situation as a ransomware attack. I sadly see people whose PC''s I maintain who refuse to backup & reply on data on the hard drive lose most precious files forever - Free world though.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Zonealarm Extreme security is a complete and solid product. You won't need to add anything else. HitmanPro alert is good too, but it should be combined with an antivirus. Sadly, despite being excellent at blocking attacks, HitmanPro alert is well know to cause performance issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.