Advice Request Antivirus Advice

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What AV do you suggest?

• Bitdefender Total Security

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Norton 360 Deluxe

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Avast Ultimate

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • AVG Ultimate

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • F-Secure Total

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • Other

Votes: 21 25.3%

• Total voters

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
F-Secure :)

Very complete, very efficient, you install it and forget it :)
I also made tests with Keyloggers that I voluntarily installed and the banking protection isolates very correctly the navigator :) especially that the editor listens to his customers and corrects very quickly the concerns when we, the testers report them ;)
And if you want cheap licenses, our friend @SerialCart can make you a small price :)
With F-Secure , be sure that you are in good side :)
Does BD still have the annoying pop-ups about installing the bloat/extras like VPN?
Still buggy :D

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
For half of that price, he can get AVG Ultimate for 10 devices 2 years. AVG is cheaper and delivers the same protection.
Even cheaper on serialcart:
AVG
Avast:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Does BD still have the annoying pop-ups about installing the bloat/extras like VPN?
Not now, I just tested, just the VPN icon on the desktop. Now the VPN is optional ;)
1674373194722.png

Yseurk

Level 1
Aug 28, 2022
I maybe missed it, but didn't see any mention of Windows Defender here, and base on the videos of ThePCSecurityChannel, WD is pretty good if you enable every feature like Cloud scan, etc, an it's free with Windows 10/11.

What is your OS ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What AV do you suggest?, and, please, why?
As mentioned before Paid AV does not guarantee better protection.

For Windows, stock Microsoft Defender is certainly a solid foundation to begin with and you can layer the following advice:
  • Safe browsing practices
  • Modern browser with Ad and Content blocking
  • Perform regular backups
  • Do not ignore OS and App updates
  • Standard User Accounts (encouraged, though optional)
Microsoft engineered their Defender Antivirus for the general population; powerful protection with an easy UI and no confusing pop-ups, all work (local or cloud) is done behind the scenes.

End of the day mistakes can happen, be prepared.

I am looking for a good multiplatform antivirus
How many devices are you looking to protect? And which platforms Android, Linux, Mac, iOS and Windows?

From a personal viewpoint I would avoid all subsiduaries under Gen Digital, these include: Norton/LifeLock, Avast, Avira, AVG, CCleaner.

Last edited:

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
I maybe missed it, but didn't see any mention of Windows Defender here, and base on the videos of ThePCSecurityChannel, WD is pretty good if you enable every feature like Cloud scan, etc, an it's free with Windows 10/11.

What is your OS ?
Windows (10 and11) and Android ,but WD ruled it out because three of the computers will be operated by novices with the "I accept, Next" syndrome and it is not an AV user friendly for them.

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
As mentioned before Paid AV does not guarantee better protection.

For Windows, stock Microsoft Defender is certainly a solid foundation to begin with and you can layer the following advice:
  • Safe browsing practices
  • Modern browser with Ad and Content blocking
  • Perform regular backups
  • Do not ignore OS and App updates
  • Standard User Accounts (encouraged, though optional)
Microsoft engineered their Defender Antivirus for the general population; powerful protection with an easy UI and no confusing pop-ups, all work (local or cloud) is done behind the scenes.

End of the day mistakes can happen, be prepared.

How many devices are you looking to protect? And which platforms Android, Linux, Mac, iOS and Windows?

From a personal viewpoint I would avoid all subsiduaries under Gen Digital, these include: Norton/LifeLock, Avast, Avira, AVG, CCleaner.
I need protection for 12 devices (4 W10, 1 W12 and 7 Android)

Reactions: micasayyo

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Just don't use any from Windows Defender, AVG / Avast (are the same company), McAffee and Norton and you will be better safe than that.

Consider only those reliable security products: Emsisoft, GData, BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky and avoid the rest if you want quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Just don't use any shitty from Windows Defender, AVG / Avast (are the same company), McAffee and Norton and you will be better safe than that.

Consider only those reliable security products: Emsisoft, GData, BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky and avoid the rest if you want quality.

Why avoid MS Defender, Norton?
I would like to have your opinion

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Why avoid MS Defender, Norton?
I would like to have your opinion
I think if you are programmer or if you reverse engineer, I don't think you need an answer. Any hacker who knows how to program decently can easily fool Windows Defender.

This is just a summary, it's my opinion. Some people still don't think so, maybe they don't know the blackhat side that well. It's because most forums are inunandos with Windows Defender bypass techniques, and Windows Defender is a joke when it comes to that.

But Norton, need we say much? It's been going downhill for a long time now, people only use it because it's usually installed on some brand's operating system, otherwise it would be a disaster. And it is

For me it's not even a topic of conversation. I respect other people's opinions, but I'm not going to change mine.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Just don't use any shitty from Windows Defender, AVG / Avast (are the same company), McAffee and Norton and you will be better safe than that.

Whats the reason calling avast /avg sh****

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Whats the reason calling avast /avg sh****
Companies that buy various products and antivirus to me are monopolies. I prefer companies that focus more on their products than buying similar antivirus or ones that add nothing to the company. One thing is to buy a different product, another is to buy the same products that add nothing but monopolies.

And then we have the false marketing of features in free versions, there was even sale of customer data in free versions.

Again, this is not a topic of conversation. It's my opinion (I'm not changing it) and I respect anyone who thinks otherwise. But I don't.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.