Status
Not open for further replies.

juhful

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Hi all, I recently installed Linux Mint 17 on my Windows 7 laptop using dual boot system, I have seen mentioned that linux is vulnerable to malware just not to the extent that windows is. My question is do I need to install an AV or not? And if yes which? I really don't see many choices out there, Thanks :)

Last edited:
I

illumination

Hi all, I recently installed Linux Mint 17 on my Windows 7 laptop using dual boot system, I have seen mentioned that linux is vulnerable to malware just not to the extent that windows is. My questionj is do I need to install an AV or not? And if yes which? I really don't see many choices out there, Thanks :)

There are 48 known pieces of malware that will actually run on Linux in the world, of course you have to give it root permission to do so. So to answer your question, it is not necessary to run an AV on Linux.

Now, if you are on a network with other computers running windows, and or transfer things back and forth from your linux to a windows OS, then yes, an anti virus would be a good thing, as you can scan the things you are transferring to windows to make sure you are not infecting the windows.

Linux runs on a different file system then windows does, hence windows designed malware will not "execute" on Linux, but it is still possible to harbor and transfer to another windows machine..

I hope this answer helps.

D

Deleted member 178

comodo seems to have abandoned the project , ESET selling an AV on linux is shameful, clamAV is quite weak, maybe i will give a try to Avast ; let see.

Reactions: nissimezra
I

illumination

comodo seems to have abandoned the project , ESET selling an AV on linux is shameful, clamAV is quite weak, maybe i will give a try to Avast ; let see.
Comodo Av for linux only works on certain Kernels "older versions" and even at that, i would not classify it as actually working..
Buying a license of Eset for Linux, ia a complete lack of regard for what Linux stands for.
ClamAv works just fine for scanning documents and files, although i have read others praise Avast for linux.

Me personally i use Clam AV for scanning of files, and use "Mandatory Access Control" to help thwart those with the know how to exploit linux, of course depending on the one you use either SElinux or Apparmor, and the time you put into learning it, so that you may modify them further, will matter. Creating custom rules with IPtables or UFW "firewall" will help as well.. If you really want to go crazy and lock down your machine, you can even customize the kernel..

All of this is really not necessary unless you are hunting down hackers and making them mad on purpose :p

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
lol shameful

Would like to hear the reason for those thoughts, just curious.
Either way opinions are entitled, i just like to poke for responses :p
sometimes for persuasion efforts :rolleyes:
With all the free av's available, one's that are sold should all be considered shameful in a sense, but i cant jump to conclusions yet :)
@Umbra Polaris :D

Buying a license of Eset for Linux, ia a complete lack of regard for what Linux stands for.
Again, buying a license for any paid product is a lack of regard for what all free AV's stand for. trying to find the common ground here, for any paid product at all vs free.

Keep in mind, it keeps out cross-platform threats. If you check an email in linux and it has a windows virus, it would remove just incase you go to windows also to check the same threat etc, thats why they have the charge for product. Not the only reason though. :D

For those of you that did not know. If you plug your android phone into a computer and ESET nod32, cyber security, or linux version, it will remove any threats sitting on your phone as well. How about them apples ??
Pic to explain next to windows threats :)
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/b235/dw0r96wb5hgbzxk6g.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowpipe

juhful

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I don't see anything for free linux AV on Avast site, just a paid suite for linux. Softpedia has it but it hasn't been updated in 4 years, is it still valid?

D

Deleted member 178

Linux is Opensource, The concept is to be free and always will be , this urge to grab every bucks possible is what i consider shameful (i pinpointed ESET but it applies to any paid softwares on Linux) , I think ESET has sufficient incomes from their Mac or Windows version to avoid do it on Linux.

D

Deleted member 178

I don't see anything for free linux AV on Avast site, just a paid suite for linux. Softpedia has it but it hasn't been updated in 4 years, is it still valid?

i will avoid it , lol

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013

I tried Comodo and I can't get it to work

Yes it's still there and just like Comodo, can't make it work on an Ubuntu compatible build

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Privilege escalation vulnerabilities may permit malware running under a limited account to infect the entire system on Linux, you dont have to have root from the start.

juhful

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Well judging from everything I have heard here and seeing what's available as far as an AV solution for linux I am under the impression that an Av is most likely not needed or I'm sure vendors would have more offerings than is currently available which is almost nill, thank you all for your responses but until I see evidence otherwise I am free ballin' my Linux Mint 17(which is pretty darn cool)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.