Antivirus Products updating their signatures on Christmas Day

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I was wondering do you think most Antivirus products will update their signatures on Christmas day. I heard Eset does but it will be interesting to find out what companies that don't.

Last edited:

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
From the Avira update logs:

Summary:
0 Files downloaded
0 Files installed

Thursday, December 24, 2015 8:52:15 PM

The update was carried out successfully!

Summary:
9 Files downloaded
10 Files installed
Downloaded file(s): aevdf.dat 8.12.40.144; xbv00112.vdf 8.12.40.124; xbv00113.vdf 8.12.40.126; xbv00114.vdf 8.12.40.130; xbv00115.vdf 8.12.40.144; local000.vdf; webcat1.dat;
webcat2.dat; webcat3.dat; webcat4.dat;

Friday, December 25, 2015 8:36:48 AM

The update was carried out successfully!

Now that's German efficiency...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Remember that usually only weekends are inactive to provide database updates + with technological aspects today, employees from lab does only for verification instead of fully manual process to gather data.

Last edited:

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
@Huracan not sure about Free, I am using the paid version atm, and the default setting is to check for updates every 2 hours.

Not saying there *are* updates every two hours, but at least it checks for them =) I never checked until you asked but the log files show it looks for updates every 2 hours without fail unattended. Some of the logged updates are manual updates just because I am anal retentive (note the candy cane). For Xmas day it appears all the updates at 36 past the hour were automated. I turn the machine off at night while I sleep so you'll not see any updates for a few hours each night.

Maybe someone running Avira Free could check what the default update schedule is set at as shown in the second window. Looks like Pro will accept checking as much as every 15 minutes. Not sure about Free.

2015-12-25 21_33_34-LOGFILES.jpg 2015-12-25 21_44_34-Avira Antivirus Pro.jpg

EDIT: Checked the individual logs this morning and there was only the 1 virus defs update all day yesterday even though it checked every 2 hours.

This page shows all the virus definition updates over time if you want to see how often they update compared to competitors: VDF History

Last edited:
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

The only av company That does not update on the weekends and special days is Norman ( atleast it was when i had installed last for About 8 years ago or so ) very strange policy they had....what a confusing company!

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
The only av company That does not update on the weekends and special days is Norman ( atleast it was when i had installed last for About 8 years ago or so ) very strange policy they had....what a confusing company!
I am pretty sure Norman got bought by AVG?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If I'm not mistaken the engines used for Norman is same from other re-branded/partnered products which came from Bitdefender, hence their detection rates are already nearly same with others compare way back before that seems to be mediocre.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.