Antivirus Recommendation, AVG, Avast or BitDefender

Status
Not open for further replies.

markrunbox

Thread author
Mar 21, 2011
Hello. Since I installed this on windows 7 5 free edition avast.

What do you recommend? It remains to 5 Free or install Avast AVG Anti-Virus 2011 (1 year license bought) or BitDefender Antivirus 2011 (1 year license purchased). Of these three that I recommend AV?

PC: Intel Dual Core e2200 OC 2.7
4 GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia 9400GT 1GB
500 GB HDD

Thank you in advance.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
RE: Ativirus Recommendation, AVG, Avast or BitDefender

markrunbox said:
Hello. Since I installed this on windows 7 5 free edition avast.

What do you recommend? It remains to 5 Free or install Avast AVG Anti-Virus 2011 (1 year license bought) or BitDefender Antivirus 2011 (1 year license purchased). Of these three that I recommend AV?

PC: Intel Dual Core e2200 OC 2.7
4 GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia 9400GT 1GB
500 GB HDD

Thank you in advance.

Hey and warm welcome to MalwareTips :)

I think you should go for Avast together with Online armor or comodo firewall.

I don't know how bitdefender is but I know that bullguard is using bitdefender's AV engine and signatures.

AVG is a big disappointment; just write avg on youtube and you will find enough test that shows AVG's protection.

I hope this helps.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

In my opinion it is not worth paying for an antivirus. It is just a single layer of protection almost entirely based on signatures, inefficient against new malware threats. Free antivirus products like Avast Antivirus Free, Avira Antivir and Microsoft Security Essentials are as good as any payed antivirus. If you want a payed product, buy a security suite like Norton Internet Security, Kaspersky Internet Security etc. Comodo Internet Security is a free alternative, but some might consider that the antivirus integrated in this suite is fairly new so they install Avast Free (for example) and then Install Comodo Firewall (which is like Comodo Internet Security but without the antivirus). One thing you should know is that this software also includes HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Prevention) protection that might not be suited for a novice user.

Please post this question inside the Security Configuration Wizard and fill-in the form with your General computer knowledge, Security risk, etc. (you'll see what I mean when you start your thread there) since that might help other members to provide a better answer. Thanks!

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011

Between those three i would choose Avast. You could upgrade to version 6. BitDefender slows down your system and i see your processor is not the latest. It's an old architecture and you are running W7. Maybe it can keep up with your system but won't with Bitdefender. AVG has to recover from failures from last years so in detection they are not the best but also not the worst. I can't say that a simple antivirus program will keep your PC clean cause i don't know your habits so i would recommend the same advise members gave you earlier, use a HIPS only if you know how to and if you like being asked more then usual.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011

Having used and/or experiences with all in dealing with others systems I can easily say that there is ONLY one good choice and that would be Avast, as stated by ghost using version 6 would be ideal and as bogdan suggested making a post in the Security forum with more details will get you better suggestions such as adding on demand scanners and an extra layer with a secure DNS.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Well I recommend Avast Free as your protection.

acuariano

May 16, 2011
avast fre is good.sometimes uninstalling is the problem,actually i'm truing avira free which is good too.
and personally you should have sandboxie or defensewall

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I would recommend Avast Free since it works best. Its light on resources, scans fast and has great detection rates. Add the AutoSandbox and you're good to go.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
choose for AVAST free 6 :)
thats better than AVG :p
and, what for buying AV programs?
:D

combine avast with some great firewall such as comodo firewall (if you advanced user with many pop up) :p
or just use avast 6 free

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I am suggesting avast free since in my opinion it performs well and protects well for a free product.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I would recommend Avast. In the free antivirus industry it has better features than AVG and Bitdefender. Plus Avast has an Auto Sand Box mode.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
For me, Bit Defender was a big disappointment, its the only AV that
slowed my system very noticeable. So, I wont recommend it.
Avast is not near the top of my favorite antivirus but of the 3 you
mentioned, it gets my thumb up. When I used it, it behaved well
on my system and never gave me trouble.

Bo

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The author of this thread doesn't seem to visit us anymore so I'll lock the thread. He can send a private message to a member of the staff to re-open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.