Battle Any Free or Paid Antivirus + Windows Firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uduoix

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
I used ESET Internet security for years, but last few months keep blocking DHCP, Windows Host, SSDP, TV, Phones etc.. In last hour all this was blocked over 4000 times. I contacted their support but they said my router is problem which is stupid. I decided to stop using their product and switch to something elese.
From now on i want only antivirus (free or paid) + windows firewall. I don't want internet/total security software. What should i use that doesn't nag and that is not resource hog? Windows Defender is off the table because it makes my PC go crazy.

Reactions: given and DeepWeb
E

Eddie Morra

What about ESET NOD32 with Windows Firewall? You could contact support and ask if they'll let you use your license from EIS on NOD32.

As long as the Firewall component of ESET was the one responsible for the issues you've been experiencing, then NOD32 should be fine.

EDIT:
The suggestion below this post is a good one. Kaspersky Free might be worth some looking into.

I used ESET Internet security for years, but last few months keep blocking DHCP, Windows Host, SSDP, TV, Phones etc.. In last hour all this was blocked over 4000 times.

Did you clean install Windows ?

If not, you didn't do the most important step to diagnosing the problem. If you're are unwilling to clean install Windows, then I don't know what to tell you... you can switch to a different product and continue to have all kinds of networking problems.

You have to eliminate your current Windows image as the source of the problem.

uduoix

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
I did 2 weeks ago. I don't have problems with windows firewall or in past with kaspersky firewall.
I saw on eset forum that i'm not only one with issue. I put networks in safe zone and whitelisted everything i know is safe but ESET kept blocking.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I used ESET Internet security for years, but last few months keep blocking DHCP, Windows Host, SSDP, TV, Phones etc.. In last hour all this was blocked over 4000 times. I contacted their support but they said my router is problem which is stupid. I decided to stop using their product and switch to something elese.

From now on i want only antivirus (free or paid) + windows firewall. I don't want internet/total security software. What should i use that doesn't nag and that is not resource hog? Windows Defender is off the table because it makes my PC go crazy.
How does ESET block your TV and Phone? Also instead of completely ditching ESET, see if you can downgrade to ESET Nod32 Antivirus with existing license - contact support.

As suggested by ESET support, did you check your router settings? Try removing connected devices or customised settings, then re-connect as new. Check for firmware updates, or completely reset the router.

If it's hardware issue, no software can solve it. Just like supposed Internet Boosters increasing your Internet or Downloads speeds.

Let me guess "Windows Defender Antivirus" is a resource hog using 99.99% CPU and scanning HDD of 1000s malware-packed files in Download folder. LOL

Reactions: given and Weebarra

uduoix

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
i did all that. Even support didn't know how to fix it, so they switched my internet security licence to eset nod32. Now i use nod32 + windows firewall and there is no issues anymore.

Spawn: Antimalware Service Executable is the issue on my PC. I tried all fixes i found on internet but nothing worked. I couldn't even use PC it was that slow.

Reactions: Weebarra

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Can O&O ShutUp 10 (ver. 1.6.1399) also fully disable Windows Defender?
It just does, what Windows does by default, when disabling WD.

Attachments

• capture_10202018_145417.jpg
    capture_10202018_145417.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 223
L

Local Host

Considering your bad experience with their support, I believe it would not be wise to remain with them.

As for suggestions, you can try Kaspersky.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

@Local Host How's Kaspersky different and wiser choice than Eset? Why not Ikarus or Qihoo then? Both comes up with newest sigs for latest threats when other vendors sleeping. It's same old default-allow AV style, a lottery, after execution you will get infected or not. Kaspersky's only advantage is TAM and don't tell me regular home users use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.