Advice Request Any tips on improving Battery Life on a 5G phone?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does 5G increase battery drain?

Would you buy a 5G capable phone, if it used more battery than a 4G phone?

Reactions: ZeePriest

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Yes 5G does drain your battery faster than 4G.

So if you run your 5G phone in 4G mode it will improve your battery. life.

I feel 5G is really more a marketing gimmick at the moment, (fomo) the technology needs to mature a lot before it becomes mainstream.

Most reviews I have seen say its basically "useless" at the present moment and in most cases performs worse than 4G due to lack of infrastructure.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I feel 5G is really more a marketing gimmick at the moment, (fomo) the technology needs to mature a lot before it becomes mainstream.
5G is designed for connected cars and industry in first place.
Private user's aren't their goal but many sites start hyping it for non reason.
4G is more then fast enough and increasing signal quality overall makes more sense instead of some single 5G cells.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
It has to do with the limitation network of 5G and its technology. 4G/LTE has to keep it on 24/7 when you use 5G so in case you don't get 5G signal, your phone will automatically switch to 4G/LTE.
I always keep my phone on 3G/2G mode; 3G has better coverage than 4G and sufficient speed to surf fast and watch videos without buffering. Obviously, if there is no 3G signal, I'll try to see if 4G is present and if not, I'll just connect to other network. My mobile operator uses their own network and in places where their signal might not be as strong, they use the network from leading mobile network in my country.

When you get one or two bars of signal, phone keeps searching for better base station to connect to. That obviously wastes a lot of battery, so I rather have full 3G signal, than spotty 4G.
5G is designed for connected cars and industry in first place.
Private user's aren't their goal but many sites start hyping it for non reason.
4G is more then fast enough and increasing signal quality overall makes more sense instead of some single 5G cells.
Couldn't agree more!

I just don't see the use of 5G on mobile phones. I don't even see the benefit of gigabit speeds over mobile network. Because, mobile is supposed to be mobile and it's not like I'm gonna download huge files on the go. The only benefit of 5G regarding phones is on operator's side, not much on consumer side.

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
I think that 5G phones are coming with bigger batteries for that purpose. It's using a bit more juice than 4G capable phones but the batteries are bigger. So basically, it's the same and yes I would buy a 5G capable phone over a 4G one because 5G is the future.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.