Question Anyone tried Norton V24?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Anthony Qian

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021

Norton for Mac (V24) has recently been launched, while Norton for Windows (V24) is currently being gradually introduced to a select group of customers.

From what I've noticed, the upcoming version of Norton will combine an Avast-based detection engine with Norton's Firewall and IPS modules. This update involves a complete overhaul of the main UI and the underlying engine, marking it as the most significant update in Norton's history.

Has anyone tested Norton for Windows V24 yet? I'm curious to know if the behavior protection feature uses SONAR (Norton), IDP, (Avast) or Sentry (Avira), or combined? :unsure:

Below are some screenshots of Norton for Mac V24 (in Chinese):
Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 19.42.06.png

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 19.37.43.png

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 20.06.57.png

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Well they didn’t sprinkle over 8 billion USD just to get access to Avast TuneUP and Private Browser. It was obvious that Avast’s capable engines will sooner or later make their way into the Norton products. I have the following concerns though:
-Avast IDP is a lot heavier than SONAR, produces much more CPU activity.
-Not sure how Avast Web Shield will integrate with IPS.
-Not sure if IPS will even remain in Norton products if there is engine switchover. Avast does not have a full substitute but Web Shield can prevent threats that IPS can’t, such as DGA.
-It is possible that engines may not be fully integrated but the Norton Cloud may perform a quick check in Avast’s cloud as well (which is officially branded as Gen Threat Intelligence). This would be the smartest thing to do.
-The Symantec by Broadcom and Norton STAR team is quite large, not sure what will happen to all these people if Norton pulls out.

I am not very confident that in the near future there will be a full engine changeover, migrating millions of users to Avast’s architecture would require substantial investment and improvements of Avast’s data centres first, or Norton data centres will have to be reworked to host the Avast cloud.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Interesting. In that link, under Has anything changed in the new experience, it states:
Sandbox - allowing you to open suspicious apps and files in a secure environment.

If I remember correctly, I believe Avast anti-virus came with a Sandbox feature.
Acadia
It does.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
Im not going to switch back to Norton, still have the " data collector " feeling with them and Avast. And still the Cryptomining links are in the software.

Happy with my G Data, support is very fast, maybe a bit more expensive, but atleast you know your data does not go to Gen.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
That's very exciting! Is Norton finally emerging from years of stagnation? If we get a hybrid of Avast and Avira's cloud engines and signatures, with a joint web shield and sandbox ... This could really become Kaspersky's most powerful competitor and sink it in the Western market. I might buy Norton For Gamers again, but will wait for V24 for Windows and reviews here.

Acadia

Level 1
Sep 25, 2020
You mean V 22.24 ?

and how to obtain V24 ?
According to a post in the Norton Forums, the new version is v24.4.9067.835. Norton is rolling the new version out gradually, I don't believe that we have any control over when we will receive it.
Acadia

Reactions: oldschool

McAlex

May 11, 2024
That's very exciting! Is Norton finally emerging from years of stagnation? If we get a hybrid of Avast and Avira's cloud engines and signatures, with a joint web shield and sandbox ... This could really become Kaspersky's most powerful competitor and sink it in the Western market. I might buy Norton For Gamers again, but will wait for V24 for Windows and reviews here.

Or after the so-called sanctions Kaspersky is still popular? Many people have removed this software.

Reactions: oldschool

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Or after the so-called sanctions Kaspersky is still popular? Many people have removed this software.
It was at the top of popular antiviruses in the world according to recent polls, although I've seen posts from Chinese forums that KSN has seen a significant drop in users, so I dont sure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.