Advice Request Are the most popular password managers also the most secure ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I have a lifetime license for Sticky Password but I am no longer using it. Sticky Password seems like a dead project. It does not receive updates regularly. The Android app has serious autofill issues and the iOS app is a mess. If Sticky Password is working for you, just keep using it. Wifi sync is great security wise. Anyway, you can make use of their portable app too and store it on your usb drive.

I am using Dashlane now (I keep going back and forth) and it is working well here. You can give it a try and if you like it you can always refer friends and get 6 months added to your subscription if they sign up using your referral link.

I am using sticky password and its gating better in relation to autofill, for me, it's a good password manager and its great sicking between multiple devices.

That is not true, sticky password is making updates with some regularity:

Build 8.2.8.17 (Jan 31, 2021)​

• Improved stability and performance
  • Build 8.2.8.15 (Jan 17, 2021)​

• Build 8.2.8.14 (Jan 13, 2021)​

• Build 8.2.8.7 (Dec 29, 2020)​

• Build 8.2.8.6 (Dec 23, 2020)​

• Build 8.2.8.4 (Dec 12, 2020)​

• Improved autofill for websites
            • Added support for Brave Browser
            • Fixed compatibility with Citrix Workspace App

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
That is not true, sticky password is making updates with some regularity:
It has not received updates for for two months. And before December it had not received updates for months. I am using Dashlane and the app receives updates every two weeks fixing bugs. 1Password too is active and receives updates regularly.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
There were 3 main reasons I stopped using Sticky:

1) Lack of updates... just a general bug fixed every few months they don't even care to say what was fixed.

2) The browser plugin was driving me crazy. It just pops up in front of any page form. And if you close it to be able to write, it just pops up right back. It came to a point I was turning off the plugin in some page

3) Android client instability. Although they do update their Android client more often, it was randomly locking my phone, a Note 20 Ultra. It also locked my wife's S20 so it was not something wrong in my phone only.

But if you don't have any problem with it then there is no reason to switch to anything else.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Here's a Tweet from someone I follow on Twitter. It surprised me a bit that he {Tavis Ormandy) said this, but then again, consider who he is (a Google Project zero day expert). I don't use a Password Manager myself (too lazy) but many around here do, so this is just a little spin on the subject.

And the article in his Tweet he wrote on the subject.

Password Managers. VT Results of this url.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Here's a Tweet from someone I follow on Twitter. It surprised me a bit that he {Tavis Ormandy) said this, but then again, consider who he is (a Google Project zero day expert). I don't use a Password Manager myself (too lazy) but many around here do, so this is just a little spin on the subject.

And the article in his Tweet he wrote on the subject.

Password Managers. VT Results of this url.

Excellent informative article. 👍
That's why I prefer mainly the offline PW.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Ok, now I don't know :what to think :D

1623786397016.png

Yanick

Level 1
Jun 14, 2021
Many valid points here, i used to use online password manager for not important accounts before but stopped doing that after there were some privacy issues in the past.
Then decided to look for an offline password manager and found one that i liked, Keepass and i still use it.
It can be clunky to use as it's offline password manager, but i started using it via own vpn and synchronize it with it when i do any change to it.
I sync keepass via private nextcloud, plenty of ways to do these things =)

How about you guys?

Reactions: ZeePriest and plat

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
What you guys think about Dashlane?
Just tried it thanks to the 6 months trial. I had no problems with it.
The only downside if one wants to save one time password credentials in dashlane it is complicated compared to other password managers but works similar to 1password. But anyway it is not a real 2FA anymore but I know this feature is very popular and people prefer convenience over security.
Works with Windows Hello which is fantastic. It also has desktop app.
Not expensive and compared to other password managers like 1Password or Enpass. It has similar price 24-25$ per year.
However Bitwarden is way cheaper. 10$/year.

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
I've read the security white paper of any available password manager and find that the security model of 1password is actually super good not just good. after many trial with famous password managers the level of detail features that 1pasword gives is miles ahead of anything else on the market even dashlane and LastPass are below 1password, just look at the how much details is going on , in adding 2fa QR codes to 1passwors. you can drag and drop! you can copy the QR code you can scan the screen with 1password!! and ... . the level of attention to details is top notch in 1password.after so many research in security model and company reputation etc.. I got the family subscription so our household uses this.one other thing is how good 1password is at updates and keeping the software fresh, updates are good and their software's has really good stability.

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
love 1password, im back to using enpass but so mature for so many services. I imported a bunch of software licenses from a website and 1password imported them flawlessly. I really hope they don't force subscription on the next version.
although not related to thread but they will not. they changed to subscription model so every version will be free for subscribers.

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.