Solved Are there YouTube "Shorts" filters for uBlock Origin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I want to hide YouTube "Shorts" completely on the homepage, search, etc. as a parental control step. There are extensions available for it, but I was wondering if there are filters for uBlock Origin, Vivaldi, etc. I stumble upon the website Let's Block It! and its GitHub page letsblock.it, which provide filters for uBlock Origin. Is it safe to use the filters there? Any better YouTube filters you know of?

Solution
I don't know. Perhaps you can see next post on Malwarebytes Forum as a kind of recommendation.

Thank you. Malwarebytes staff posting about Let's Block It!, the discussions on this website's GitHub page, and an AdGuard developer joining their topic about AdGuard are confirmation enough to trust the LetsBlockIt team's work. I registered on LetsBlockIt because signing in allows you to create custom filter lists to import into uBlock Origin, and guest users only get rules to add under "my filters" on uO.
Are you using /m. or youtube.com on Safari for iPadOS?

Edit: Do you need to use YouTube logged in?
I tried...

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
Thanks. The website I posted in my starting post, Let's Block It!, provides and allows you to create filter lists to import into uBlock Origin if you sign up. I created a filter list including "YouTube: filter out Shorts" and "YouTube: left menu interface cleanups" that worked with the uBlock Origin and AdGuard extensions. I tried the filter list with Vivaldi's in-built ad blocker too, but it didn't work. There are quite a few filters on this LetsBlockIt website, and the website seems legit, as I found its mention in many places on the net.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
There is an official list on the uBO subreddit in the Wiki:
solutions/youtube - uBlockOrigin. :)

Never blindly trust filters from random internet sources.
Thank you for the official list! :) I added the "Shorts" and "Search page without bloat" lists in My Filters on uBlock Origin, and both work well. I'll browse the posts there.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
This filter list works well on Windows, but using it on an iPad displays an ad (about the developer, I guess) for most YouTube videos. The ad is the same every time, with a skip tab.
I tried the "Shorts" filters posted in this thread, and only the filter list from Let's Block It! works with AdGuard for Safari on iPad. The above filter list displays an ad, and the official filter from Reddit doesn't work.
I think the website Let's Block It! is safe. Can any users knowledgeable about ad blocker filter lists share their thoughts on filter lists on this website?

Reactions: Jan Willy

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I think the website Let's Block It! is safe.

I don't know. Perhaps you can see next post on Malwarebytes Forum as a kind of recommendation.

• Thanks
Reactions: rashmi and Nevi

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024

Thank you. Malwarebytes staff posting about Let's Block It!, the discussions on this website's GitHub page, and an AdGuard developer joining their topic about AdGuard are confirmation enough to trust the LetsBlockIt team's work. I registered on LetsBlockIt because signing in allows you to create custom filter lists to import into uBlock Origin, and guest users only get rules to add under "my filters" on uO.
Are you using /m. or youtube.com on Safari for iPadOS?

Edit: Do you need to use YouTube logged in?
I tried both the desktop and mobile sites as the filters have rules for both versions, and only the filter from Let's Block It! worked and removed "Shorts" from all places on YouTube on both website versions. I didn't log in to YouTube, and the filter that works works regardless of whether or not I logged in.

Reactions: Jan Willy
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.