Advice Request Are these 2 files safe? I need 2 opinions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Most are doing malware testing on a VM in the Hub and never got infected as far as I know. Don't worry about that.
Is Shadow Defender and vpn on good enough for testing? I uninstall mine a long time ago so I might need to install it again.

You can install it.

They can but isn't the case for normal malware.
You can also disable network access.
Is Shadow Defender and vpn on good enough for testing? I uninstall mine a long time ago so I might need to install it again.
The most likely chance it will escape is via your network.
what if i install shadow defender and use it along with vpn? Is this good?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
is it good if i use shadow defender inside virtualbox or just redundant to use shadow defender inside virtualbox?
Redundant. Shadow Defender restores the system to the state on which you activated the Shadow Mode. That's why I wouldn't recommend it to test on your main system, as malware can still steal your passwords and other sensitive stuff. Either use an old laptop or desktop pc, whipe your drives and install a VPN and Shadow Defender, or use a VM with the settings in the video. The only important thing is that you should use only one side of file sharing between your host system and VM. You should enable drag n' drop from your host to your VM but never the other way around, as malware can escape that way and infect your host system theoretically. Otherwise the settings mentioned in the video are good enough.

Edit: If you decide to use a Virtual Machine you still need a VPN either on your host system or the testing system. (Host system is recommended)

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Redundant. Shadow Defender restores the system to the state on which you activated the Shadow Mode. That's why I wouldn't recommend it to test on your main system, as malware can still steal your passwords and other sensitive stuff. Either use an old laptop or desktop pc, whipe your drives and install a VPN and Shadow Defender, or use a VM with the settings in the video. The only important thing is that you should use only one side of file sharing between your host system and VM. You should enable drag n' drop from your host to your VM but never the other way around, as malware can escape that way and infect your host system theoretically. Otherwise the settings mentioned in the video are good enough.

Edit: If you decide to use a Virtual Machine you still need a VPN either on your host system or the testing system. (Host system is recommended)
On video timeline 8:37 folder share

Do I to check auto mount and read only?

Reactions: Stopspying

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.