AV-Comparatives AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection Test Jul-Oct 2023

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thank you for sharing the article and chart! The AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection Test for July-October 2023 is an important resource for evaluating the performance of different security software. It provides valuable insights into the effectiveness of various antivirus solutions in real-world scenarios.

OTTO

Level 1
Verified
Jul 18, 2015
Eset didnt surprise me. I remember eset from sality days. Sality would make party on the system and eset was useless. Tried eset a year ago and missed so many malware. I dont know why people pay this program tons of money. Besides its extremely expensive compared to others(at least for my country).
Its behaviour blocker is non-existent. If i want good signatures and good behaviour blocker, i would either choose Bitdefender or Kaspersky.
Avast and avira are just scareware and nag you all the time.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
AV products will give different results every time they are tested. For example, Microsoft may be best one month while Kaspersky may be best another month. You cant gain much knowledge from a single set of results.

For this reason, I think its a good idea to see how a product has scored over the last 2 years and also compare the results of different testing laboratories. That way you can get a better idea of which products are consistently good and which are consistently bad.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a single place where all this information is summarised.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Its okay to count false positives in these tests but protection is the main thing. In home environments false positives hardly exists, i can bet that avast bb causes more problems in home environments than it competors.

I can remember times back in 2010 when my friends were using f-secure as main antivirus and it basically flagged everything as false positive like daily it happened, f-secure has since matured alot

Trend micro can be very aggressive and even more aggressive when hypersensitive is on & high filter on webfilter ( you can harden it even further)

Sad to see eset getting only 1 star but its still excellent product

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
AV products will give different results every time they are tested. For example, Microsoft may be best one month while Kaspersky may be best another month. You cant gain much knowledge from a single set of results.

For this reason, I think its a good idea to see how a product has scored over the last 2 years and also compare the results of different testing laboratories. That way you can get a better idea of which products are consistently good and which are consistently bad.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a single place where all this information is summarised.
Yeah. I think this is a great idea

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

You can look here:

Last edited:

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
Unfortunately, no Eset on those summaries.

Reactions: Azure and comolokko

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
Its okay to count false positives in these tests but protection is the main thing. In home environments false positives hardly exists, i can bet that avast bb causes more problems in home environments than it competors.

I can remember times back in 2010 when my friends were using f-secure as main antivirus and it basically flagged everything as false positive like daily it happened, f-secure has since matured alot

Trend micro can be very aggressive and even more aggressive when hypersensitive is on & high filter on webfilter ( you can harden it even further)

Sad to see eset getting only 1 star but its still excellent product
I'll take lightness in terms of system impact any day of the week over an AV which gets 100% results in these tests so ESET it is for me.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
At least F-Secure "only" had 18 FPs this time and was beat out by Trend Micro's 35. As with many here, we've never had an issue with
Avast beating Eset and Kaspersky is a shock.

From the Chart drop-down pick Feb-March, then Feb-May. There are many that score 100% blocked but the FP's bring them down a bit. Avast is pretty impressive and seems to be more consistently in the top tier.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019

Hello @jetman

I have such a table :). Keep in mind that not all products are listed.

1700049937518.png

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
It seems quite strange to me that Eset has come last of all the antiviruses, perhaps there are hidden interests in these tests. I think that perhaps Eset is not the best but coming last seems surreal to me.
I love Eset (y)
Are they using the default settings or are playing with the settings under advanced settings ,protections,detection responses.
The detection responses need to be all put on which they are not by default it makes a big difference.
Anyone else test this out?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Eset had a bad day. Although they should really improve their 0-day capabilities.
"bad" seems very relative by missing 1.8% or 9 of 513 IIRC with 0 false positives, while ALL of AV that did better also had very-bad false positives. Seems like there could be / is a strong negative correlation between compromised vs false positives, but don't know if this is causation evidence :unsure: Is that discussed by AV-C? I guess AV-C acknowledges some interaction as it does / can otherwise lower their AV rating depending on false positives. @Andy Ful any thoughts about this... :unsure:
Meanwhile ESET has 100% at AVLabs.pl :whistle: ...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I think above 98% is really the accurate average result of ESET. For simply protection alone, I think other tier 1 products like Kaspersky, Bitdefender would be a better choice in most cases. In AVC's real-world tests, ESET can not even get better result than the default Microsoft Defender in most occasions.
But ESET is very light and usually annoyance free, with no nags or popups. I think that's why many users use it. But I have to say that some of the recent additions in ESET have been questionable and IMO made the ESET experience much worse than before.
Are they using the default settings or are playing with the settings under advanced settings ,protections,detection responses.
The detection responses need to be all put on which they are not by default it makes a big difference.
Anyone else test this out?
The products were tested in default settings and no, you don't need to change any ESET's settings. There are sensitivity settings in advance settings, but those are set to values that ESET thinks are appropriate for their products that would result in less false positives and better performance. ESET wouldn't put their product into tests if they didn't think the default settings weren't enough.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.