AV-Comparatives AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection Test Jul-Aug 2023

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Yes please, substantiate your opinion with facts, how do I know you don't manipulate your videos. It are just videos, anything digital can be manipulated. How scientifcal is your (words of Cruel Sister) gang-bang approach in testing Security Software. How often are consumers faced with 1000 malwares at once? How close does your testing method resembles real world situations?

Be a sport, I applaude your tests, I like to watch them and I really value you making them, but your test don't improve in quality nor credibility when bashing AV-C.

I appreciate your input, but I still want to respond...

I don't manipulate my videos or samples. I spend a lot of time searching for links and malware samples (execution, analysis, etc.) to determine whether they are false positives or not, especially to see if the sample really has active payload. In the beginning, I wasn't always careful because I took less time to analyze them, but now I invest a lot of time in handling all of this.

It's true that I'm not a professional, and I never will be. I don't want that, and I don't want it to take over my personal life or (hopefully soon) my professional life. Making videos is a hobby that I really enjoy sharing with you all.

Unfortunately, I have my reasons for not giving any credit to AV-Comparatives, and they're not the only ones—AV-Tests as well. The only one I often trust and follow is @Adrian Ścibor (I appreciate what he does, and I've said that before), but I'm the type to test things myself :)

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Regardless of the MB it consumes, the number of processes in RAM is too much. They already have almost the same processes as Mcafee.
I absolutely agree, and that is why I don't have BD on all of my PCs. I have a PM into Alexandru asking, reminding me of why ~2 months ago in a build update we went from 11 processes (plus WSCcommunicator) to 16 plus WSC. My notebook with Kaspersky Plus beta, is running 7 processes and the main Kaspersky Service is at 160MB as we speak. edit: Kaspersky is now at 126MB.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
I absolutely agree, and that is why I don't have BD on all of my PCs. I have a PM into Alexandru asking, reminding me of why ~2 months ago in a build update we went from 11 processes (plus WSCcommunicator) to 16 plus WSC. My notebook with Kaspersky Plus beta, is running 7 processes and the main Kaspersky Service is at 160MB as we speak.
Kaspersky has another problem and it is also serious for me. It is the only AV that does not have a 64-bit version, regardless of whether its internal sub processes are x64. Why don't they do what Eset did before. Have an install on x64 and another on x32. I assure you that no one would install the x32 one.
Greetings.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Kaspersky has another problem and it is also serious for me. It is the only AV that does not have a 64-bit version, regardless of whether its internal sub processes are x64. Why don't they do what Eset did before. Have an install on x64 and another on x32. I assure you that no one would install the x32 one.
Greetings.
What issue does that give? Im curious

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I appreciate your input, but I still want to respond...

I don't manipulate my videos or samples. I spend a lot of time searching for links and malware samples (execution, analysis, etc.) to determine whether they are false positives or not, especially to see if the sample really has active payload. In the beginning, I wasn't always careful because I took less time to analyze them, but now I invest a lot of time in handling all of this.

It's true that I'm not a professional, and I never will be. I don't want that, and I don't want it to take over my personal life or (hopefully soon) my professional life. Making videos is a hobby that I really enjoy sharing with you all.

Unfortunately, I have my reasons for not giving any credit to AV-Comparatives, and they're not the only ones—AV-Tests as well. The only one I often trust and follow is @Adrian Ścibor (I appreciate what he does, and I've said that before), but I'm the type to test things myself :)
Off course not, but your reasons are personal opinions, again

Be a sport, I applaude your tests, I like to watch them and I really value you making them, but your test don't improve in quality nor credibility when bashing AV-C.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
not only the GUI, since the antivirus is installed in the program files folder (x86) and not in the 64-bit program files folder.
1694797169170.png

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
not only the GUI, since the antivirus is installed in the program files folder (x86) and not in the 64-bit program files folder.
1694798985126.png

Found this in WayBackMachine as Kaspersky forum link (from 2021) seems to redirect to homepage for some reason.

Edit: Nvm here's the link.

Last edited:

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
View attachment 278619
Found this in WayBackMachine as Kaspersky forum link (from 2021) seems to redirect to homepage for some reason.

Edit: Nvm here's the link.
He is not the only person who thinks the same as me. An x64 installer. According to Kaspersky it doesn't make sense, according to the other antiviruses? all other avs work installed on x64. Regardless of whether the protection works on x64.

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
I don't believe that x64 is not planned, since Win11 and up will be only x64. Also, they said before in their forum that Kaspersky will not use .Net 6 when they were on Net 5, but they migrated to Net 6 for the new versions anyway. But I guess the time will show.

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
AV-Comparatives... Do I need to remind you why you should never trust it? :)

Exactly! this ^
They are all for marketing purposes, nothing else.

What I'm saying is for your own benefits people. You don't need to pay money for any AV. Everything you need and even better features, are already in the Windows. All you need to do is to activate them, for FREE.

You think I'm wrong? No problem. Show proof that Microsoft Defender, after using the hardening module, didn't catch something. 🙂

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The quality of a Professional test Result is directly proportional to the quality of the samples used. Unless proper diversity in type and mechanism are used everyone tends to get a medal.

The old Rule of Coding applies to these tests- garbage in, garbage out.

Lymphocyte

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2014
I just bought bitdefender total security for 3 years :sick:
Good choice although I believe that for most users, Bitdefender Antivirus Plus is enough.

Users want a product with no bloatware like Emsisoft Anti Malware, VIPRE, and F-Secure (vpn bloatware, but less bloatware than Bitdefender).
An important number of security companies such as the ones you mentioned, plus G-Data or ESET still offer a just antivirus edition of their product.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.