AV-Comparatives AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection Test Jul-Aug 2023

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Exactly! this ^
They are all for marketing purposes, nothing else.

What I'm saying is for your own benefits people. You don't need to pay money for any AV. Everything you need and even better features, are already in the Windows. All you need to do is to activate them, for FREE.

You think I'm wrong? No problem. Show proof that Microsoft Defender, after using the hardening module, didn't catch something. 🙂
I'd argue most people on this forum don't even need to harden. Most are likely careful enough to avoid infection by way of the most common attack vectors, and would be perfectly fine using Defender at default settings.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
I'd argue most people on this forum don't even need to harden. Most are likely careful enough to avoid infection by way of the most common attack vectors, and would be perfectly fine using Defender at default settings.
even smart people probably might get infected with malware - but good choice of security solutions should stop the infection (probably).

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Exactly! this ^

What I'm saying is for your own benefits people. You don't need to pay money for any AV. Everything you need and even better features, are already in the Windows. All you need to do is to activate them, for FREE.

You think I'm wrong? No problem. Show proof that Microsoft Defender, after using the hardening module, didn't catch something. 🙂
But whatever we all may think or say, it's been a great thread, all under the banner, thread name of AV-Comparatives :)
I know I've learned some things I did not know, or had not considered.

Reactions: Nevi and comolokko

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023

But they feel the need to spend money on 3rd party AVs, money that could be spent on something actually useful. The AV companies heavily advertise that "you're not safe unless you install this AV".

By installing 3rd party AV they increase their attack surface too. New program, lots of files, all of them can introduce more vulnerabilities, bugs etc.

I was in the same boat actually, but then decided to put a stop on that and made the repo. I didn't know Windows had all those features and thought I really needed to install an AV to keep me safe. That's why I want to help others not to fall for the fake advertisements.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
But they feel the need to spend money on 3rd party AVs, money that could be spent on something actually useful. The AV companies heavily advertise that "you're not safe unless you install this AV".

By installing 3rd party AV they increase their attack surface too. New program, lots of files, all of them can introduce more vulnerabilities, bugs etc.

I was in the same boat actually, but then decided to put a stop on that and made the repo. I didn't know Windows had all those features and thought I really needed to install an AV to keep me safe. That's why I want to help others not to fall for the fake advertisements.
You're giving me pause to think (Shadowra's review). With all of the HTTPS websites, and with browsers being "more secure", what 3rd party app(s) if any, would you install TrafficLight, WFC?

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
You're giving me pause to think (Shadowra's review). With all of the HTTPS websites, and with browsers being "more secure", what 3rd party app(s) if any, would you install TrafficLight, WFC?

For security solutions? Nothing. Just use my harden Windows security module and you're good to go. No new software/file is added or installed. It's in plaintext and simple so you can fully trust it. You can submit to virus total or copy/paste the code and ask Bing chat what it does.

I don't know anything about that review, I'd need to test it myself with the samples or methods that were used.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

@Shadowra's review suggests Defender is really effective when you turn on CD High Profile and the Block Executables option. When my Kaspersky subscription ends, I plan to switch to this MD + CD setup for the kids' systems. The browser protection is good enough for malware and phishing. I don't use a third-party extension, and I turn off the malware filter in the ad blocker. I use Comodo Firewall and disable its web protection because it's not helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@Shadowra's review suggests Defender is really effective when you turn on CD High Profile and the Block Executables option. When my Kaspersky subscription ends, I plan to switch to this MD + CD setup for the kids' systems. The browser protection is good enough for malware and phishing. I don't use a third-party extension, and I turn off the malware filter in the ad blocker. I use Comodo Firewall and disable web protection in Comodo because it's not helpful.
Thank you, just the reply and information I was looking for. My thought would be to download MBAM free version, disable it from start-up, and maybe run an on-demand scan once in a while. maybe also KVRT here and there as well.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Thank you, just the reply and information I was looking for. My thought would be to download MBAM free version, disable it from start-up, and maybe run an on-demand scan once in a while. maybe also KVRT here and there as well.
I sometimes use KVRT. For quick and overall malware checking, I use Comodo KillSwitch, AutoRun Analyzer, and Quick Repair tools. They also help me detect any unwanted changes in the system.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
even smart people probably might get infected with malware
Sure. I'm not suggesting anyone's invulnerable, but behaviour contributes enormously to one's exposure. Those who adhere to safe browsing habits and best security practices arguably require less stringent security measures.

But they feel the need to spend money on 3rd party AVs, money that could be spent on something else. The AV companies heavily advertise that "you're not safe unless you install this AV".
I do think AV vendors mislead consumers, in that they make exaggerated claims about their ability to protect users from threats. Ultimately it's up to consumers to decide whether the cost is worth the increased/perception of increased protection (regardless of whether their decision is their own or influenced by a vendor's marketing).

It can but I very rarely hear about AVs getting exploited outside of vulnerability research and corporate environments. Plus Defender has be successfully exploited previously too.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I sometimes use KVRT. For quick and overall malware checking, I use Comodo KillSwitch, AutoRun Analyzer, and Quick Repair tools. They also help me detect any unwanted changes in the system.
And what's nice about this type of security configuration, is there is no hassle in dealing with, or of having to disable auto-renewal and hoping for a good price on the renewal.

I just bought bitdefender total security for 3 years :sick:
I know this thread is about the AV-Comparatives report, but just a couple of suggestions. Disable auto-renewal and about 2 weeks before your subscription runs out, in an email they will offer you a better deal to stay with them. Also, in Settings/General disable Special Offers and Recommendation notifications. I would also maybe consider disabling Profiles, as that can sometimes cause confusion with changes made to BD updates etc. but that is up to you :)

Good choice although I believe that for most users, Bitdefender Antivirus Plus is enough.

An important number of security companies such as the ones you mentioned, plus G-Data or ESET still offer a just antivirus edition of their product.
It may also depend on a person's confidence in Windows firewall or their comfort in running a 3rd party Firewall with what may be confusing settings, possibly causing more grief than help?

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Do you really think that WD is a good antivirus? Knowing how easy it is to bypass your protection? independent of all the layers that Microsoft aims for security. In a real attack on your device, I highly doubt WD would be able to help you. Regarts.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Exactly! this ^

I will test your Microsoft Defender Hardening very soon 😉 Your software interests me... :)

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Do you really think that WD is a good antivirus? Knowing how easy it is to bypass your protection? independent of all the layers that Microsoft aims for security. In a real attack on your device, I highly doubt WD would be able to help you. Regarts.

Since the integration of AI Machine Learning, WD has become an excellent antivirus that even manages to outperform many market leaders. By default, it's excellent, and in High or Hard mode, it's like a fortress!

I've already managed to bypass WD by injecting arbitrary code, it works once, but not afterwards...

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Since the integration of AI Machine Learning, WD has become an excellent antivirus that even manages to outperform many market leaders. By default, it's excellent, and in High or Hard mode, it's like a fortress!

I've already managed to bypass WD by injecting arbitrary code, it works once, but not afterwards...
Could you make videos of how you bypass WD and see how it would work with other antiviruses?

Reactions: comolokko

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Always amazed that AV-Comparatives is still viewed as credible by anyone.
I do and have been following them for years, but I also now appreciate and respect the excellent work done here by all the members who have posted their own malware testing and videos, in which we are all blessed. But at least AV-Comparatives is not AV-Test.org :ROFLMAO: And, as @Shadowra mentioned, the other one's research work to be considered and respected is Adrian Scibor AVLab.pl

Last edited:

Lymphocyte

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2014
It may also depend on a person's confidence in Windows firewall or their comfort in running a 3rd party Firewall with what may be confusing settings, possibly causing more grief than help?
I think that Windows firewall is good for the average user who doesn't use the PC outside home, and also Bitdefender Antivirus Plus comes with Network Threat Protection, so you get some kind of protection in that way.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.