AV license expiring, looking for new solution

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
If your referring to Eset, in my experience it's not that high. I'm running it on one of my systems and when I had a quick look it was less than 100MB, but I haven't closely monitored it. It will probably fluctuate, depending if it's running a full scan for example, but otherwise it's very low.

Keep in mind that memory usage isn't a very good indicator of performance, a program's CPU and disk I/O usage will have a far bigger impact on its system impact. It's one of the reasons why WD is considered heavy at times. Most computers now (i would say if bought within the last decade) a days have more than enough ram.

I meant G-DATA, not ESET.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
If you want something a little different you could use Hitman Pro Alert with Cylance on your PC along with a Gryphon Router that has ESET's intelligent intrusion detection and active malware filtering built in, then put a good DNS on the Gryphon like OpenDNS.

This would be very light on your PC while giving you the benefit of protecting everything else in your home hooked up to the Gryphon.

rodrigopimpao

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 2, 2018
I can only thank all of you for sharing your opinions, knowledge, and suggestions.

I got a kind of paranoid about security during past years. I have a lot more to lose now than five years ago when I would use free AVs and browse some unsafe and shady websites.
The years (and college) taught me a lot about security online, but my family is not that educated. That's why I seek for a top AV, so my family (which are the ones who need it the most) can benefit from it.

Black Friday and now Cyber Monday provided some interesting discounts for almost every security suite mentioned here. I'm still not sure, but I'll likely stick with ESET. I know them for years and I'm really used to it, so there is no big reason for me to change.

I know most of you discourage stacking multiple protection suites, and some of you discredit Heimdal. But after looking at my mother's PC, I'm thankful for it. It blocked a great amount of suspicious websites, before ESET did (maybe because the suites are stacked, meaning ESET would also block but Heimdal blocked first, idk).

A friend of mine also recommended getting a license for Malwarebytes 3, but then again I'm not sure if that would be just to please my paranoic side or if it would actually help.

I saw lots of you recommending Gryphon. I'm looking forward to getting one, but I'm from Brazil and we don't have it here. So, I won't be able to get one for a while.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Currently the suites i recommend in the order : Level-1 : Kaspersky, G data, Trend Micro, Bit defender
Level-2: F secure,Avast , Eset, Dr WEB
Those are suites that are currently standard, maintain same aggressiveness, lower Fp's, Price is affordable
*according to my opinion* Level2 : Slight weakage in Proactive area also with a bit aggressiveness

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
You could buy a license for Emsisoft, if you're still looking for a premium paid product. MBAM you can get free as an on demand scanner to primarily look for PUPs/Adware.

~LDogg

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I meant G-DATA, not ESET.

Sorry I thought you were referring to ESET and no sorry I cannot comment on GDATA as I've never really tried it.

I can only thank all of you for sharing your opinions, knowledge, and suggestions.

I got a kind of paranoid about security during past years. I have a lot more to lose now than five years ago when I would use free AVs and browse some unsafe and shady websites.
The years (and college) taught me a lot about security online, but my family is not that educated. That's why I seek for a top AV, so my family (which are the ones who need it the most) can benefit from it.

Black Friday and now Cyber Monday provided some interesting discounts for almost every security suite mentioned here. I'm still not sure, but I'll likely stick with ESET. I know them for years and I'm really used to it, so there is no big reason for me to change.

I know most of you discourage stacking multiple protection suites, and some of you discredit Heimdal. But after looking at my mother's PC, I'm thankful for it. It blocked a great amount of suspicious websites, before ESET did (maybe because the suites are stacked, meaning ESET would also block but Heimdal blocked first, idk).

A friend of mine also recommended getting a license for Malwarebytes 3, but then again I'm not sure if that would be just to please my paranoic side or if it would actually help.

I saw lots of you recommending Gryphon. I'm looking forward to getting one, but I'm from Brazil and we don't have it here. So, I won't be able to get one for a while.

It's ok, it happens to all of us:) Just like @ForgottenSeer 58943 and myself said, don't stress or over think it too much. If you decide to keep Eset, its a very capable product and can do its job fairly well on its own. I personally don't think adding Malwarebytes will add any more to Eset's capabilities. The reason we stress not to worry about adding 100's of programs and extensions is that there's huge potential for conflicts which can not only cause system instabilities, but also decrease your overall security.

One thing I really preach over anything is to have safe computing habits. That in itself can save you more times than you can count. The problem (especially on security forums) is that people tend to put way too much faith in to security programs and ignore basic habits. Like I said in my previous post no product/setup is perfect and anyone can get infected if they practice unsafe habits. I am by no means saying you shouldn't use security programs, all I am saying is that in conjunction with a security program/setup, you still need to practice safe habits.

Also, what you see and hear on the news/security forums about security, realize that a lot of these breaches/advanced attacks are really directed towards business and governments, rarely if ever are they directed towards home users. Does that mean nothing will happen to home users? No, it just means that I wouldn't stress overly too much about advanced attacks. This is where security forum paranoia kicks in, because a lot of people tend to over stress way too much about these advanced attacks, hence why you see people with 5 real-time programs and 20 extensions. Hackers don't want to waste their time and resources on using advanced attacks against home users, its way more lucrative to use them against businesses and governments. Keep you system and programs up to date, have proper backups, etc... and you should be fairly safe (along with what ever security program you decide to use)

I know you mentioned that you have more "now that you can lose", but again this is where security 101 comes in, back up, backup, backup. Having proper backups of all you personal data is the only true way to insure that if anything happens, you still have your data. As to your family, I think we can all relate :), but if you haven't already, at least try instilling basic safe computing habits, because maybe they just don't know. It may not always be perfect, but it's a start.

Last edited by a moderator:

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I would suggest you look in ESET logs and see how many malware did it prevent from entering your system through this time. That would tell you if you really need to use a paid product. If that number is barely low I would suggest you try a free product that doesn't have much advertising baked in like Kaspersky Free Antivirus. But on the other hand if you have more prevented threats in the logs you can continue to use ESET since you're already happy with it. It's just about saving a little money basically which can be saved by your habits as a user. (I hope you get what I mean)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.