AV-TEST AV-Test: Windows 10: February 2020: Home

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Atrocious performance by eScan, probably down to the old build of BD engine and the famous signature update bug of this product that can only be fixed by downloading the weekly updater file.
I've never had any issues with updates. I just booted my eScan partition and it automatically updated to v7.84164 signatures. Bitdefender themselves, have only released a single signature update since them. However as usual, the download speed was fairly slow.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
When I use AppTimer to see how fast for instance Chrome launches and check WD versus Avast, Windows Defender slows down programs starts 25% less. Windows Defender set on MAX with ConfigureDefender COLD (first startup) launches half a second faster than Avast with FileShield installed. Consequetive startups of Chrome with WD are just below .2 seconds faster than Avast (again with Fileshield only, when I install more Avast free modules, the lag gets worse). Could you post your AppTimer recordings (since you mentioned that you knew for a fact)?

Mileage may vary per PC config, I know

Just launching things takes forever with WD. Like FOREVER. And my system isn't slow by any metric. It gets even worse on netbook with eMMC and Atom where my apps take several seconds to launch where with Kaspersky or avast! takes like half a second. Opening Downloads folder full of installers and EXE files is even worse.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
It seems that something or someone screwed him over so he left.
It does happen & these are very difficult times for us all & can cause unusual anxiety where normally we are OK, & none of us know a persons situation at the moment - I really do wish him the best. I have four children & add-ons, & I'm quite worried at times.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Yes, that you don't want to accept is your problem. For some reason Bitdefender is the engine most used by other companies and is the one with the most customers worldwide.
Bitdefender engine/signatures are cheaper to purchase by other companies ;)

in protections Bitdefender > Kaspersky and Norton.
Just going to VT, there comparing some fresh uploaded malware samples, BD is rarely seen there within 10 hours after the first submission.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.