Battle Avast Free, Kaspersky Free or AVIRA Free?

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
My top free AVs are either Kaspersky Free or Bitdefender Free. Kaspersky Free + NVT OS Armor is a strong, proven stable configuration from my use. Other AVs like Avast, AVG or Avira primary function is to display ads, track its users usage habits etc for revenue. Anti virus function is just a complement feature to them for using their software.

I believe ForgottenSeer 58943 measured the amount of telemetry from Kaspersky Free and found it to be very quiet surprisingly, not much going on, where as Avast was horrible.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
avast!. Every time I try anything else, I uninstall it after few hours and return to avast!. It just works right despite bugs like in any other software. And it is loaded with protective features that all others miss in free versions.

I was just testing Bitdefender Free again and the damn thing was again sperging on all ends to a point where I tossed it off and installed avast!. Works like a charm. Even if I'd want to move away from avast! I can't because it just works the best.

Kaspersky was fine, until they started throwing stupid ads and the damn thing NEVER updates itself automatically on my hybrid netbook which I don't run every day. And then it starts bitching about not being up to date. I don't care, just update itself you stupid dingleberry. Why can avast! do that automatically when it detects connection without whining, but all other AV's have to make drama about it. Ugh.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Avira should be eliminated
Only between avast and kaspersky free

Whatever you choose you must tweak it because they both have some deadly weaknesses

Avast:
- weak against scripts and java scripts -> can be fixed
- ads, popups -> can be disabled
- telemetry: can be partially limited
- so-so web filter -> can be helped by using other extensions
- some compatibility issues -> can partially be fixed

Kaspersky
- weak against PUPs, can be partially improve but still not great. Can pair with another tool to improve this part
- no BB, exposed to new threats

after tweaks and fixes, avast is better than KFA
potentially lighter

Avast slows down boot speed, can be improved a bit with tweaks

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'm testing Kaspersky free with NoVirusThanks OSArmor, I dislike avast with their big amount of ads

You should.. Avast is up to no good IMO. Way too much telemetry outbound from it and a conflict of interest with Jumpshot.

KAF+OSArmor should be all you will ever need and in fact, is an amazing totally free combo IMO. OSA plugs up what's missing from KAV and gives you that exploit protection as well. Done deal.

I believe ForgottenSeer 58943 measured the amount of telemetry from Kaspersky Free and found it to be very quiet surprisingly, not much going on, where as Avast was horrible.

KAF is surprisingly quiet. Surprisingly for me because I was expecting a free product to be exceptionally noisy with telemetry and quite frankly, it isn't.

For my inlaws and other people in the family that refuse to buy Chromebooks my chosen install for fire+forget with them is KAF+OSArmor (default mode).. Walk away.. Never a peep out of them again.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If I am your position I will choose Avast. I hear that there are also many bugs and troubles, but there are many users who know their coping methods, so there are many reasons to think that it is easy to obtain information on those solutions. I think that coping with trouble is a relatively important point in using free version which can not be expected for support.

Sorry, but I did not learn to speak English well.

#MeToo:giggle:

danielsak

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 21, 2015
Can you tell us your laptop specs?
Intel Core i7-4510U @ 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB hard disk drive and Windows 8.1.

This is my friend's laptop and this time I choose avast Free for his computer. I made custom installation without all unnecessary bloat, disabled telemetry in settings and make some "reasonable" tweaks from this forum.

It's too bad that Kaspersky don't have behaviour shield in free version :(.

Personally I use Windows 10 and built in Windows Defender on my computer and it's perfect.

Thanks for replies and pros & cons that you point out.

WhyNot

Jul 6, 2018
Free Avira has protected me as long as I can remember. Since 1998? But I am a fairly safe surfer. Heard Avira was loosing pace on malware so I installed Avast. Disliked that I should have to pay for better ransomwareprotection. Read some tests. Avira Pro - top rated on AV-test. Avira free on youtube TPSC(?) not so good as Avast and Bitdefender, BUT Avast and Bitdef was not so good against Ransomware where Avira was great. No free antivirus covers it all.

So if free Avira is not so good as paid - what to do? Since a couple of weeks I have added free Voodooshield whitelisting protection (Tested very well at TPSC) to Avira free. Seems to work nice. My PC was clean so I ran VS in Training mode initially and when I do some thing that might be new to VS I run it in Training. Otherwise I use smart mode since its default, but "always on" could be an alternative further on.

So, based on my personal experiense and the tests I have read I stick to free Avira. But maybe free Bitdef or free Avast or free Kaspersky is just as good with free VS alongside. Or Immunet? Read TPSC on youtube.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Kaspersky Free + VoodooShield to supplent the lack of Application Control :)

I think you also missed Sophos Free from this list as well. I would recommend to anyone Sophos or Avast Free if they're looking to use an AV.

~LDogg
Hello mate! How's Sophos Free doing nowadays? I tested it around 2 years ago or so and it was really weak on its own. Has it improved anyway?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Kaspersky Free + VoodooShield to supplent the lack of Application Control :)

Hello mate! How's Sophos Free doing nowadays? I tested it around 2 years ago or so and it was really weak on its own. Has it improved anyway?
New Sophos isn't too bad. Believe they have an implementation of Hitman Pro in their arsenal if my memory serves me well.

~LDogg

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I have 2 laptop. The one have 8.1 the other win 10. Kaspersky free works perfect at win10. At win 8.1 is heavy and use many cpu. But Avast free for me is better. My choice is 360TS with voodooshield. Not heavy at all. And the last month 360TS has been upgraded. I love this chinese s.hit. About Bitdefender free and sophos free.... Ram eaters.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.