Battle Avast Free, Kaspersky Free or AVIRA Free?

maka

Level 1
Verified
Jul 1, 2018
In my opinion, free easy to use and light combo: KFA + OSA (Installed in my brother's PC)
You can also intall some browser extensions like uMatrix (recommended) or NoScript (more easy to use), uBlock, HTTPS Everywhere...
Besides a GUI to manage the Windows Firewall such as Simplewall or WFC would be a good complement.

According to my experience I not recommend Bitdefender Free (0 configuration options, slow, buggy, constantly connections to their servers...)

Avast tweaked is also good (Installed in my sister's PC), but telemetry...

I have not used Avira for years, but when I remember the times of Luke Filewalker... it makes me want to cry.

Sorry, but I did not learn to speak English well.
We are already three!

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
i really like the fact that there is a free antivirus gives us a very good level of protection and better than some paid ones. i really impressed with kaspersky free 2019. i saw the results of malware hub tests. in the last test KFA kept the system clean and emsisoft with its powerful BB did not success to keep system clean. kaspersky really did a very good job.

Last edited:

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
Avast should be called: BSODfast. Cuz Avast causing so much troubles and sometimes some signatures updates makes PC crashed by BSOD.

About 2 years ago, I used Avast for about a day. It was terrible. It was so intrusive, it was almost impossible to uninstall. I had to end its tasks via Task Manager to be able to uninstall it :( So, my choice would be Kaspersky, as with most other suggestions.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Why not Windows Defender?
Windows defender is not better than Kaspersky.it uses Kaspersky SDK.
kaspersky cloud>WD
Kaspersky system watcher>widnwos defender BB
Kaspersky wbfilerting>Smart screen on EGE
Resource:
kasperksy<wd
Kaspersky win in every area:D
Better to use Kaspersky free+smart screen or Edge browser+kaspersky free so you have double web protection.

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Why not Windows Defender? Would Kaspersky really be such a big improvement over it?

It is not even close. Malware that is being ACTIVELY pushed out on the Web to infect you are new. Kaspersky will always have a definition in place before WD. Always.

Now if you consider older malware (like what you see used on Pro Testing sites) both will score equally high. But what you see on the Pro test results has little if anything to do with the Real world.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.