Battle Avast Free, Kaspersky Free or AVIRA Free?

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hm... sounds good. Any Bloatware?

I use Windows Defender Browser Protection for Chrome. (And others)
I don't want to use Defender ransomware protection because it blocks all programs from accessing files in Documents-Library, but that is the Folder I use most. So I guess it will be a huge improvement.
KFA works really smooth and great in Windows 10. I haven't seen any issues when I tested it, maybe just recommendations to update to the full suite, nothing you can't handle. Pair it with VoodooShield or OSArmor and you should be set, in my opinion :)

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Nice. Unfortunately first installation failed with again, no particularly useful error message. I deactivated NVT ERP and ReHIPS (Which I am just testing besides ERP) beforehand but that wasn't enough apparently. Can't think of much else blocking execution of setup.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Regarding Bloatware- personally I see no issue in a company actively trying to get me to upgrade and/or use something else. It's the 'FreeWare" apps that give me pause. It is a truism in the Advertisement World that if something is "Free" You are actually the product being sold (Think about it...).

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Regarding Bloatware- personally I see no issue in a company actively trying to get me to upgrade and/or use something else. It's the 'FreeWare" apps that give me pause. It is a truism in the Advertisement World that if something is "Free" You are actually the product being sold (Think about it...).
This is true, there's no revenue on offering a free product without any reward. Sadly, many "free" products besides from spamming advertisements about their paid ones, also make your system a telemetry datacenter. Avast is a clear case of this. I have no issue about them offering me AIS, but I have seen more telemetry on their free AV and CCleaner than I have seen from Microsoft itself. There's a cost for freeware and I'm certainly not paying it. I'd rather pay for a suite, which is actually cheaper than my information :)

petersaints

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2015
I have used both Avast and Avira in the past, but Avast had been my go to choice until I had a few issues with it when the first Windows 10 major update came out. I ended up ditching all third party AVs since then and I have been relying on Windows Defender alone. I have no problems with it, aside from possibly a few slowdowns on some I/O intensive operations (e.g., file copying and when installing big software packages).

Recently I decided to give the new Kaspersky Free 2019 a try and it seems nice. It's a shame that I can't directly control which components are enabled. However, I'm able to change their behavior to fit my needs under the "Additional" Settings section.

The only thing I really like to change is the Network monitoring settings to avoid any possible performance and connection issues caused by it. I usually just turn it off completely, but at the very least I disable SSL traffic interception traffic because I HATE the idea of third party software replacing the website's software with their own. I'm basically promoting a man-in-the middle attack on my own machine!

That said, let's see if it keeps working nicely for the next few days. If it does I'll keep it. If not, I'll just give up on third party AVs again and move back to the "good old" Windows Defender.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
It's a while since I used Avast but there were too many problems to mention, and when I tried to uninstall it it proved to be very troublesome, even using the official removal tool plus rezjor's unofficial one. Plus the product is now far more bloated than when I used it and I also don't like the direction Avast appear to be heading.

I tried Avira recently and, as on previous occasions, it made my rather elderly computer noticeably sluggish.

The new version of KFA with System Watcher (actually KSC for me with added configurability) has been a pleasure to use. Paired with OSArmor it has no discernible system impact and I can't really fault it. The only slight issue I've found is full scans cause temperatures to rocket so I've set scans to manual and instead will use alternative on demand scanners.

So for me it's an easy decision. Another vote for Kaspersky.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I would rather have nothing than any of those 3. Paying $20-30 for a discounted AV is not too much if you spread it out to the year. Less than $3 a month. In exchange, no tracking, no ads, all of the features.

Reactions: oldschool

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
The only slight issue I've found is full scans cause temperatures to rocket so I've set scans to manual and instead will use alternative on demand scanners.
I think full scans are overrated... I don't run one in my systems for long years, that option should be deleted from most of the products :p, I only run a Quick Run Scan, tweaking the settings and adding some other risky system folders where the malware usually attack...

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
The new version of KFA with System Watcher (actually KSC for me with added configurability) has been a pleasure to use. Paired with OSArmor it has no discernible system impact and I can't really fault it. The only slight issue I've found is full scans cause temperatures to rocket so I've set scans to manual and instead will use alternative on demand scanners.

So for me it's an easy decision. Another vote for Kaspersky.

Just fix your PC cooling rather than trying to fix it through Anti Virus ?

Reactions: ZeroDay

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I am no fan of Kaspersky on the Enterprise level, but for Home Users the AV definitions are the absolute best. Avira has lost any meaningful consideration quite a while ago, and Avast- even with the bogus "hardened mode"- cannot hold a candle to K.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Edit NOT Avast purely because of the zero day protection it offers is a bit soft.

Regards Eck:)

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Eck- Understand that I have the upmost contempt for all traditional AV's- this being said, for all malware D+3 or older the detection capabilities of Avira, Avast, Kaspersky will be identical.

For D+2 malware, Avira fails (see one of my recent videos), but Avast and K are pretty much similar.

For D+1 malware K edges out Avast, but it is close.

But for malware newer than 24 hours,, K cleans Avast's clock. Sadly, having no life, I actually monitor these things; it gives me no pleasure confessing that K is excellent and that I am so much a Geek.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.