Battle Avast Internet Security vs Norton Security Premium

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
Hi my friends :)

I currently have a Norton license for 10 months, but we have the Avast promo, which I see greatly improved recently and I have doubts about which is better protection for normal use, since in this partition I do not run malware.

Thanks in advance :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I thought there's already a Avast IS 2017 for 365 days trial now ongoing in the giveaway section? Didn't you get it?
I'm using avast premier (license until 2021) so I don't need AIS :)
I expressed my experience with paid avast. I found those paid features were not really useful, some were useless (like sandbox, very few apps can run inside avast's sandbox although I tried to changed some settings, no luck) and some potentially useful features but useless for me (Data Shredder) :D

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I expressed my experience with paid avast. I found those paid features were not really useful, some were useless (like sandbox, ver few apps can run inside avast's sandbox although I tried to changed some settings, no luck) and some potentially useful features but useless for me (Data Shredder) :D
So are there any additional settings that's required for Avast's firewall besides the default settings? Can share?

Thanks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So are there any additional settings that's required for Avast's firewall besides the default settings? Can share?

Thanks
honestly I don't change any in avast firewall settings, I left everything default
I just use avast firewall to block connections of windows telemtry processes (cortana, backgroundtaskhost.exe...) and some apps which I saw continuously connecting to their servers (iTunes's services for example)

I regularly enter avast firewall -> Application... -> Check Paths -> OK
to clean up rules for deleted apps

That's it :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
honestly I don't change any in avast firewall settings, I left everything default
I just use avast firewall to block connections of windows telemtry processes (cortana, backgroundtaskhost.exe...) and some apps which I saw continuously connecting to their servers (iTunes's services for example)

I regularly enter avast firewall -> Application... -> Check Paths -> OK
to clean up rules for deleted apps

That's it :)
Does Avast firewall pops up alert messages informing you it blocked the incomings/outgoings? If no, how to make such messages show? This will tell me that the firewall is working.

Thanks

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Will Avast firewall pops up alert messages informing you it blocked the incomings/outgoings? If no, how to make such messages show? This will tell me that the firewall is working.

Thanks
By default, avast will show you a notification for newly created block rule. I have never seen avast firewall blocking any app because I never run malwares in my host PC => I'm not sure
1.PNG

In the Application control, you will see avast is doing it job as it automatically changes the rules for some apps. Like the one I circled. I didn't touch it (auto-decide word in it). The default level should be 3/5. This one is 1/5 => restricted
2.PNG

you can check if the firewall is blocking something or not by go to Firewall Logs. In my case, it's blocking stuffs without any notification
3.PNG

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Well, both programs are good at what they have to do but I think Avast is not what the lighter has a good detection rate, and besides, this new version is good.
Norton is a little heavier but also is worthy of our attention, but personally I recommend Avast.
the choice is yours, and what best suits you.:)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
avast with hardened mode/aggressive is pretty good protection, I would rely on it more than on norton, especially with a couple registry tweaks to plug up holes (Hard_Configurator does the job). Furthermore, you can tweak avast to run super light.

however, the out-of-the-box protection prize goes to Norton

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
It's a close contest but I would argue that, protection-wise, Norton is better. Avast paid only adds a firewall and minor features, compared to its free version. But Avast allows you to change most of its settings, like sensibility, hardened mode, protection modules etc. That might be interesting for a more advanced user if that is the case.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
By default, avast will show you a notification for newly created block rule. I have never seen avast firewall blocking any app because I never run malwares in my host PC => I'm not sure

In the Application control, you will see avast is doing it job as it automatically changes the rules for some apps. Like the one I circled. I didn't touch it (auto-decide word in it). The default level should be 3/5. This one is 1/5 => restricted

you can check if the firewall is blocking something or not by go to Firewall Logs. In my case, it's blocking stuffs without any notification
Can't find the 'Application Rules' page. Where is it?

Thanks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks I found it.

That damn mouse pointer is not showing up on Avast screens although it's working fine on the desktop. A BIG BUG!!!
there are still many bugs in this initial release. Like in this screenshot. Mismatch rules between the main UI and firewall settings

moreover, the rules I showed you in the today, now they are gone :eek:
I don't why avast deleted my rules

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    66.6 KB · Views: 518
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
Well my friends

8mccMoY.png

First of all thanks to all for your advices and help :)

As you can see there is total equality. I have received many very good tips. At the end, with so many good advice to one or the other, I think it all boils down to what our dear friend asked me

@Sr. Normal 2.0 i will answer to your question with a question.
Do you want to tweak your security software or not?
If you answer that question your dilemma is solved;)

I think I'll keep Norton, because none are clearly superior to the other, both are excellent, so I do not think it's necessary to change.

You have helped me a lot, thanks :)

Next time I will ask for help on "Firewall yes or not". Surely the vote would not be equal :p

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Another thing that is quite exceptional with a complete product like Norton, is its very small footprint on the system. Almost in the same category with Panda products. It's lighter than Avast, and another important thing,far less buggy.

Avast, although a very good product has far more bugs, especially, failing to install, then you need to download the offline installer to make it work.Messing up with windows explorer, making the taskbar icons blink, messing with windows updates is another. Firewall failing to load, which is also present in the latest version. Notice that yesterday after installing the Avast Premier. It's a problem that was present for a very long time, reported countless of times on their forum. So many times i've clicked on Programs and Features, double clicked on the Avast icon and clicked on Repair. Sometimes it fails to repair too. But it's a nice product, with very good detection and protection.

Also Norton interface is very neat. A very nice and clear description of detected threats. Logs and statistics are easy to understand. Avast interface, is ok, new one a bit too 'flashy' for my taste, but it's fine. I preferred the old one thought.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
If you're going to pay, Norton. It's far, far lighter and has fewer false positives. I beta tested it a couple years ago and it was provided at no cost to me with my prior ISP, so I used it for several years.

Contrarily, I had Avast 1-year for free and ditched it after a month.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I expressed my experience with paid avast. I found those paid features were not really useful, some were useless (like sandbox, very few apps can run inside avast's sandbox although I tried to changed some settings, no luck) and some potentially useful features but useless for me (Data Shredder) :D

license to 2021? that smells like an illegal license to me :D ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.