Battle Avast Internet Security vs Norton Security Premium

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
Hi my friends :)

I currently have a Norton license for 10 months, but we have the Avast promo, which I see greatly improved recently and I have doubts about which is better protection for normal use, since in this partition I do not run malware.

Thanks in advance :)

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
I tested the giveaway of Norton security 2017 disponible in site shareonsale and it blocks legitimate programs (FormatFactory) makes the system slow I think is sonar despite low consumption in Task Manager. I'm testing avast internet security version and is serving me well.

Well, I think the heuristics of norton is better and also the program is not so full of extra programs like avast. And avast does better in FP's

I voted Avast

F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Thread author
I vote Avast. It has merged with AVG and has the potential to be the best antivirus available (it currently is excellent, however) and has many good features (and will be better once AVG sigs are fully integrated). Its hardened mode (aggressive) is a great "anti-executable" and has great resource usage and a new BB.

I am currently using Avast as well.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I tested the giveaway of Norton security 2017 disponible in site shareonsale and it blocks legitimate programs (FormatFactory) makes the system slow I think is sonar despite low consumption in Task Manager. I'm testing avast internet security version and is serving me well.

Well, I think the heuristics of norton is better and also the program is not so full of extra programs like avast. And avast does better in FP's

I voted Avast
Format factory installs some PUPs, silently. When you install Format Factory, it installs some kind of installer,downloader or temporary file silently. Then after 3 or 5 days, the file executes and downloads the adware in the background. I noticed that with AVG's Identity protection and Emsisoft behaviour blocker. You just get a Popup alert from nowhere indicating that a file is trying to launch from the format factory folder. Norton blocks Format factory for some good reasons.;)

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
I remember something else flagging that software also a long time ago.
It installs adware with it.

Format factory installs some PUPs, silently. When you install Format Factory, it installs some kind of installer,downloader or temporary file silently. Then after 3 or 5 days, the file executes and downloads the adware in the background. I noticed that with AVG's Identity protection and Emsisoft behaviour blocker. You just get a Popup alert from nowhere indicating that a file is trying to launch from the format factory folder. Norton blocks Format factory for some good reasons.;)

Is fact can be considered PuP, Norton didn't remove only the FormatFactory, he removed other programs I have with some software third built as uTorrent for example. Norton should at least notify me if I wish to add the program deletion, but didn't simply removed even in the default configuration. I had to manually add, on the issue is controversial because the PuP most software free can include avast also has some little boxes that installs chrome can be considered PuP. In fact this strategy has been used in free software even in mobile app with free application full of ads. Anyway both are good softwares Norton protection is ideal for businesses and stronger Avast better for the average user.

Sorry, for my English.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Both softwares are fantastic. I think it depends on what you want. In my case, I like Norton: light, effective, non-intrusive easy to use software, fantastic in all devices (PC, Android and Mac installed). If you are not interested in using parental controls( included in Premium version), I'll recommend you to go to Deluxe if you have enought with 5 devices.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In the battle sometimes you need to maintain and improve the common crucial components to defend any attacks.

Let's compare it below:

Avast IS contains Hardened Mode, Sandbox, DeepScreen, and good core protection basis.

vs.

Norton Security Premium on the other hand has strong Cloud mechanism and active SONAR.

-------------------------------------

In detection capabilities we can see that Avast is stronger than to Norton, considering that cloud functionality may be limited on other times.

However by default settings, Norton is better since the cloud and Sonar by itself is active and accurately prevent certain attacks whereas for Avast where Hardened Mode is off by default/moderate mode so the DeepScreen, CyberCapture and core protection may lead to bypass.

Avast Cloud Reputation is different in terms of effectiveness compare to typical Norton or even Kaspersky.
-------------------------------------

Now in terms of customized settings then of course Avast is already in edge compare to Norton.

The thing I liked for Avast is sandbox component so at least you can browse in isolated safely.

--------------------------------------

For ransomware or screenlockers, well both are in the mediocre stage and protection against possible alteration can be questionable.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I'd be careful in drawing the conclusion that "more settings" equals "more capability".

Also, this isn't PCMAG (a glorified advertisement); "default settings" is moot to MT users exercising due diligence.

To the PUP preference issue; it can be annoying for someone who doesn't care about PUPs but I'd rather they be quarantined first where I can always whitelist them rather than have subversive software running without my foreknowledge.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.