• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

harman

Level 1
Verified
Aug 31, 2016
As long as you make sure you uncheck the following 3 boxes (they are checked by default) before clicking on Accept and Install, your browser will not be hijacked with toolbars etc.
View attachment 115729

you are right. However, once I did make the mistake of checking "install panda safe web with protection against malicious websites" thinking it will serve the purpose of blocking malicious websites but even after uninstalling Panda (with revo free) something like panda link checker remained and i was only able to remove it with iobit uninstaller (portable).

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I recently shifted from AVG to Avira and (though I can't remember about AVG) there's no unwanted/automatic installation with Avira free.

are you kidding me :D, with installation of Avira free you also get the launcher which itself is another component a lot of people are complaining about, then you are prompted with installing Avira extension as well, by the launcher if I'm not wrong.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Also I find that Avast does give you a choice for installing the extension, in the custom install, as well as even after the install chrome asks you if you want to allow the extensions to run, further giving you a choice to enable or remove them. Those that know better would remove them, and those that don't are probably better with the ever slight protection that the extensions provide.

harman

Level 1
Verified
Aug 31, 2016
are you kidding me :D, with installation of Avira free you also get the launcher which itself is another component a lot of people are complaining about, then you are prompted with installing Avira extension as well, by the launcher if I'm not wrong.

yes Avira launcher is a nuisance but still it doesn't install Avira extension on its own. The point Yash is making here is that Avast automatically installs components even if you 'uncheck' them during installation options. In Avira free I unchecked Firewall, Mail Protection, and web Protection (not offered in free AV anyways, so why install) and they weren't installed. For Avira launcher they don't even give an option and consider it a part of their antivirus package so why complain about its automatic installation? it doesn't install avira extension automatically, unless you install the extension or other things from the launcher.

BTW,if Avira launcher has no use, people that know better, can easily disable it in services. I've done that as well, no effect on Antivirus. Peace.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
yes Avira launcher is a nuisance but still it doesn't install Avira extension on its own. The point Yash is making here is that Avast automatically installs components even if you 'uncheck' them during installation options. In Avira free I unchecked Firewall, Mail Protection, and web Protection (not offered in free AV anyways, so why install) and they weren't installed. For Avira launcher they don't even give an option and consider it a part of their antivirus package so why complain about its automatic installation? it doesn't install avira extension automatically, unless you install the extension or other things from the launcher.

BTW,if Avira launcher has no use, people that know better, can easily disable it in services. I've done that as well, no effect on Antivirus. Peace.

So I went in my VM to check out your claims on it installing without an option to opt out and here are my screenshot.
upload_2016-9-18_15-43-59.png

On my next screenshot, I clicked custom install and WOW look what I found, options to opt out of installing the extensions, I marked them out clearly for you in case you miss them again.

upload_2016-9-18_15-46-12.png

Final verdict, let's take a look at Chrome after the installation has complete. Look ma! No extensions!
upload_2016-9-18_16-6-3.png

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Guys, I didn't mention, right after Avast install, you will get extension installed or will definitely get extension installed.

I mentioned my experience & others have also experienced the same in Avast forum including many experienced safe zone installed, couple experienced product upgrade even though was set to manual, etc...

I also mentioned my experience in Avast forum when Avast Online Shield was installed...a member mentioned there was some kind of fix or something related to AOS that could have triggered the install.
And when safe price was installed here, I mentioned this too in the same thread in Avast forum...a member mentioned he too did custom install & didn't experienced this And dont know why it happened here.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=190878.0

harman

Level 1
Verified
Aug 31, 2016
So I went in my VM to check out your claims on it installing without an option to opt out and here are my screenshot.

On my next screenshot, I clicked custom install and WOW look what I found, options to opt out of installing the extensions, I marked them out clearly for you in case you miss them again.

Final verdict, let's take a look at Chrome after the installation has complete. Look ma! No extensions!

"your claims on it installing without an option to opt out "?

sorry I didn't make any claims about Avast; I was talking about Avira. In fact I haven't used Avast after it has let me down twice while Avira finally saved my back, on both the occasions (though it was during windows XP days).

P.S. does any one know why we don't have an option for Avira in "personal details". I wanted to update my current antivirus to avira form avg butin the drop down list there are names of all antivirus except Avira....

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.