Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
"We didn't find any phishing or malware but many of our users gave this site the (n)(n)"

I'm so sorry that these users had their feelings hurt. Now they know how Windows Defender users feel.:cry: There's a 12 Step program for them: Emotions Anonymous! One hurt person helping another, one day at a time! :LOL: :LOL::LOL:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Similar to Web of Trust, these ratings are neither reflective to the domain's security or privacy status. Community-based ratings are based on user experiences'.

I still would be very wary about using Avast Online Security from the Chrome Web Store. Source: 9to5Google (Dec 2019).

...I suspect that this is due to the presence of a virus sample.:unsure:
malwaretips.com does not host nor store any Virus/Malware samples on the server.
  • Non-registered visitors cannot view the Malware Hub sub-forum.
  • Registered members may be able to view the Malware Hub results, but do not have permissions to access the samples, or post a reply.
  • Participates of the Malware Hub are carefully selected and need pre-approval from Staff.
  • Samples/Urls are never publicly shared in the Malware Hub.
More Info - https://malwaretips.com/threads/get-involved-in-the-malware-hub.75479/

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Why on earth would someone use these useless extensions that come with AV software?
It's just an other way of collecting data from users and everyone knows that. I bet Emsisoft Browser Security is the only extension that does its job with respecting user's privacy. All others are either spying or useless in terms of detection.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Why on earth would someone use these useless extensions that come with AV software?
It's just an other way of collecting data from users and everyone knows that. I bet Emsisoft Browser Security is the only extension that does its job with respecting user's privacy. All others are either spying or useless in terms of detection.
Malwarebytes also is privacy conscious. They have a better detection rate too.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Malwarebytes also is privacy conscious. They have a better detection rate too.
I'm not sure about that. I haven't found anywhere explained how extension really works, nor what data it collects from user. Malwarebytes's privacy policy explains only what their software collects; extensions are not included.

Just because the extension description says it "protects your privacy", that doesn't mean the extension itself is privacy conscious. They might block ads and trackers, but that means nothing to you when the company that made the product still collects data about you. Microsoft Edge is the perfect example - a privacy friendly browser that blocks trackers, but still collects full URLs of the sites you visit if you have SmartScreen enabled.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I'm not sure about that. I haven't found anywhere explained how extension really works, nor what data it collects from user. Malwarebytes's privacy policy explains only what their software collects; extensions are not included.

Just because the extension description says it "protects your privacy", that doesn't mean the extension itself is privacy conscious. They might block ads and trackers, but that means nothing to you when the company that made the product still collects data about you. Microsoft Edge is the perfect example - a privacy friendly browser that blocks trackers, but still collects full URLs of the sites you visit if you have SmartScreen enabled.
The famous @Fabian Wosar (of Emsisoft) actually commented on it and analyzed how makes calls in Firefox.

Edit: You can follow his methods form this post, however in this case he was looking at BD Trafficlight.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Personally, I'm using Emsisoft Browser Security because it doesn't have the FPs and I trust them more. I don't need the "best" protection, whatever that is.

But this is from MBAM privacy policy:

The Malwarebytes Privacy application does not collect or retain the following:
  • Details about the websites or IP addresses browsed on your device;
  • DNS requests made by you;
  • Bandwidth usage on your device;
  • Network details of your device, including IP address;
  • Telemetry data from the Malwarebytes Privacy application, including telemetry on functionality and on system environment; OR
  • Local Malwarebytes Privacy application logs. These logs are only available on your device and can be helpful for diagnostic purposes if you experience connectivity issues. If you have an issue with the application you can choose to submit a copy of the log to our support team, but we do not automatically receive it.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Personally, I'm using Emsisoft Browser Security because it doesn't have the FPs and I trust them more. I don't need the "best" protection, whatever that is.

But this is from MBAM privacy policy:

The Malwarebytes Privacy application does not collect or retain the following:
  • Details about the websites or IP addresses browsed on your device;
  • DNS requests made by you;
  • Bandwidth usage on your device;
  • Network details of your device, including IP address;
  • Telemetry data from the Malwarebytes Privacy application, including telemetry on functionality and on system environment; OR
  • Local Malwarebytes Privacy application logs. These logs are only available on your device and can be helpful for diagnostic purposes if you experience connectivity issues. If you have an issue with the application you can choose to submit a copy of the log to our support team, but we do not automatically receive it.
I think those are for the VPN, which is named Malwarebytes Privacy. I can't find specific guidelines in their policy for the extension. However, Fabian outlined they use hashes and encrypt the data sent to the server.

Personally I like the MBG extension and haven't had a false positive. But, I'm sure the first time I do I'll move to something else. Most browsers do a good job on their own. You almost don't need an extension that blocks the site less than an hour before safebrowsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.