Advice Request Avast said "something big is happening"

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I received an email from Avast today indicating that major updates to Avast are on the way.
In the coming days you’re going to notice something fresh and new about Avast. Things will look a little... different.

Change is good. For over 30 years we’ve been keeping people safe on everything from floppy disks to smartphones. As technology evolved, we evolved too.

These new changes at Avast are all about changing things for the better. Because it’s not just about keeping all 400+ million people who use Avast products safe today, but also about keeping all of them safe tomorrow too.

So stay tuned, because change is coming. And we’re excited to have you with us on the next stage of our journey.
Any idea on this? :unsure:
  • UI updates?
  • Firewall updates?
  • "Avast Crypto"?
  • Anti-virus engine updates?
  • Integration with Avira's APC?

Last edited:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I think they will be making the firewall available to more users of Free Avast. That and they might have made some changes to the GUI. I have seen complaints in the Avast forum that a lot of people don't like the GUI as it is now. The current GUI is ok with me and I will not use their firewall yet. The Windows firewall works fine, I will let others try out the Avast firewall first and see if there are any bugs in it. I may be wrong but I don't think Avast has been merged with Norton/Avira long enough yet to integrate anything else with Avast. If they are planning on allowing crypto mining or whacking out the AV engine that will be the end of Avast for me.

C.H.

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
I guess it could be something about the integration of avira, norton engines. Or norton integrates avast. Who knows? I hope it's a bug free, reliable product with fewer privacy concerns. I read somewhere that norton has a community of 400 mil users, avira about 200 mil and avast 400 mil. This means a bln users in cloud. This could be only a good thing. (I hope- fingers crossed)

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I guess it could be something about the integration of avira, norton engines. Or norton integrates avast. Who knows? I hope it's a bug free, reliable product with fewer privacy concerns. I read somewhere that norton has a community of 400 mil users, avira about 200 mil and avast 400 mil. This means a bln users in cloud. This could be only a good thing. (I hope- fingers crossed)
I hope so... Because I don't think the addition of Firewall feature to Avast Free Edition is something "big" enough to warrant an in-product and email notification. :unsure:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I read somewhere that norton has a community of 400 mil users
No, their number is far lower than that. Their official site says 50 million.
1631537674213.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.