Advice Request Avast said "something big is happening"

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
OK so I had bad insomnia tonight and was curious, so I opened up Avast a few minutes ago just to see what might happen if I did a manual update. Before I updated, the status showed I was up to date/current but I ran the update anyway. Surprise surprise, Avast updated, it took about 3 minutes then it asked for permission to restart my computer. I now have the new logo in my notification area but the old amoeba splat logo is still on my desktop. I am seeing now that if I look at the new logo as a whole part it does still kind of look like the letter A, but that is a minor point. Other than that Avast and all its settings, shields, scans, colors, everything all looks and works exactly the same as before the update. I can not see any difference at all, no new shields or scans available and no mention of crypto-anything. I will say the GUI does seem to move a little faster when clicking between scans, settings, notifications and all.

I also got a new message from Avast, clicked the button to See What's Changed and it took me to this site:

The site has some links about "Free Antivirus No Strings Attached" and "A smoother faster online experience". When I click the links in each section on that site I get a 404 error. I guess it's not quite ready yet.

1631772166608.png

I do not see any changes in the GUI at all, other than the newfangled logo:

1631773052233.png

The updated Avast is looks to be using more RAM, which might be due to it still updating, but really is not that important:

1631772877307.png

Maybe there will be more changes to come in the next few days. I hope Avast updates that web site soon so we can see the rest of the details on what they did in this new version.

I guess we all need to stay tuned.

C.H.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Avast one stable downloaded, there is no way to remove trial and enter free version... trial is 30 days ...
From what I can tell, AVG hasn't gone down this road yet but I haven't tried going from trial to free. Still fully customizable too, though a few more annoying "important" notifications (to scare users) which may be disabled.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
From what I can tell, AVG hasn't gone down this road yet but I haven't tried going from trial to free. Still fully customizable too, though a few more annoying "important" notifications (to scare users) which may be disabled.
Hope they keep avg original, its much better looking than avast one

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.