Advice Request Avast's new Secure Browser for Android - A worthy competitor?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What are your opinions based on using the new Avast browser for Android?

Google Play Store: Avast Secure Browser: Fast VPN + Ad Block - Apps on Google Play

Avast Secure Browser for Android was developed following Avast’s 2019 acquisition of Tenta, a private browser backed by Blockchain pioneers ConsenSys, and has been built from the ground up by privacy and cybersecurity engineers focused on total encryption. At its core is strong encryption including AES-256, ChaCha 256-bit, and the latest TLS/SSL cryptographic protocols for the data transport layer. To ensure that user DNS requests are kept private and secure, Avast Secure Browser for Android supports multiple DNS options straight out of the box, such as DNS over TLS, DNSSEC and decentralized DNS support.
Source: Avast Launches All-new Mobile Browser With Complete Data Encryption
Avast’s new Android browser, which offers VPN, encryption and other privacy and security features [..]. Avast says an iOS version is also in the works, set for release later this year. The Avast browser comes in a free version, and a premium version with additional features for $12/year.
Source: Avast acquires Seattle startup Tenta, leading to release of new secure browser for Android

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I don't see any reason why this browser is more secure then other (e.g. Bromite or even Vanadium).
Same also for privacy.

Every mainstream browser include encrypted DNS and the marketing labeled "decentralized DNS support", use good TLS security and support DNSSEC.

this browser send all data directly to Avast (integrated VPN + DNS solution)

Personally I wouldn't recommend nor use that browser.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
64! Seriously!!! That's literally 19 versions behind. 19! Avast should be ashamed to call it a secured browser :mad:
It uses Chromium 83 and gets regularly updated. I have the AVG browser installed on a system here.

It's not bad, but it has some adware type tendencies. For one, it will "try" to convince you to make it the default browser with a full screen popup at the next system startup after it upgrades to a new version.

There are a couple of situations where I think it's useful (easy toggle anti fingerprinting that apparently does work, functional adblock). But mostly I feel this product is very redundant....

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.