Serious Discussion AVG free antivirus potential conflict

AVG
38 Replies 5,467 Views

Parkinsond

Level 68
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aftter installing AVG free antivirus, Edge brower keep disconnected from internet for few minutes; changing AVG firewall mode from ask to smart resolves this issue.

Regarding Chrome, AVG prevented websites pinned as shortcuts to its home page from launching, while the same websites can launch normally from its bookmarks; changing AVG firewall mode from ask to smart or even disabling it did not help!
 
It seems like AVG is causing some conflicts with your browsers. For Edge, you've found a workaround by changing the firewall mode. For Chrome, try adding the websites to AVG's exceptions list. If that doesn't work, reinstalling AVG or Chrome might help. Make sure to back up your bookmarks and settings first.
 
It seems like AVG is causing some conflicts with your browsers. For Edge, you've found a workaround by changing the firewall mode. For Chrome, try adding the websites to AVG's exceptions list. If that doesn't work, reinstalling AVG or Chrome might help. Make sure to back up your bookmarks and settings first.
Adding the websites to AVG's exceptions list wouldn't help, as the same website loads normally when launched from the bookmarks tab.
 
Adding the websites to AVG's exceptions list wouldn't help, as the same website loads normally when launched from the bookmarks tab.
In that case, try clearing Chrome's cache and cookies. If the issue persists, consider reinstalling Chrome or contacting AVG support for a more specific solution.
 
I like AVG, even more than Avast, but I dislike such glitches.
Understandable, such glitches can be frustrating. Make sure to report these issues to AVG support, they might be able to provide a solution or fix it in a future update.
 
It's definitely frustrating, and I've encountered similar glitches with AVG myself. For instance, the Microsoft Store won't load on my Windows 11 Insider Preview PC. I exhausted troubleshooting options like disabling the firewall and tweaking settings without success; the store only loaded after I uninstalled AVG.

I've also reached out to the AVG community, but haven't received a reply. Despite these persistent issues though, I stick with AVG for the reliability it brings to the table in terms of protection and its ease of use.

Regarding your situation, have you tried resetting Edge?
 
Past week avast and AVG tested with the same glitches and my favorite online game sometimes freezes and problems connecting, thats a no go for me.
I have no problems with BD free, only it has become very heavy ... but with 16GB Ram and a ssd i don't feel to much slowdown.
 
It's definitely frustrating, and I've encountered similar glitches with AVG myself. For instance, the Microsoft Store won't load on my Windows 11 Insider Preview PC. I exhausted troubleshooting options like disabling the firewall and tweaking settings without success; the store only loaded after I uninstalled AVG.

I've also reached out to the AVG community, but haven't received a reply. Despite these persistent issues though, I stick with AVG for the reliability it brings to the table in terms of protection and its ease of use.

Regarding your situation, have you tried resetting Edge?
Personally, I like AVG too; its interface is easier than Kaspersky.
I was obliged to download chrome when faced Edge disrupted connection with AVG, but chrome let me down too.


Antivirus programs are designed to solve or prevent problems. If a program like that causes problems, then it's a no-go for me. It's immediately removed from my computer and replaced with another program. There are so many good antivirus programs out there. There's always an alternative.
No product is perfect; each of them has its advantages and disadvantages.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
La scorsa settimana sia Avast che AVG hanno eseguito test con gli stessi problemi e il mio gioco online preferito a volte si blocca e ha problemi di connessione, il che per me è impossibile.
Non ho problemi con BD free, solo che è diventato molto pesante... ma con 16 GB di Ram e un SSD non avverto troppi rallentamenti.
I use Bitdefender Plus with a laptop of more than 15 years with SSD and 4GB of RAM and I do not notice any major slowdown. I do not use it for gaming obviously but in normal use (internet, office, etc ...) I do not notice any slowdown.
 
I use Bitdefender Plus with a laptop of more than 15 years with SSD and 4GB of RAM and I do not notice any major slowdown. I do not use it for gaming obviously but in normal use (internet, office, etc ...) I do not notice any slowdown.
I'm not a gamer or graphics man too.
But compared to less than 100 MB used by K, B uses 400-500, with nearly equal CPU consumption.
In addition, in K I can disable encrypted connection scan and use extension to deliver the same web protection; in B, trafficlight does not provide equal protection.
 
@Parkinsond If I were you I would switch to Bitdefender Free + Windows Firewall. I would say that this protection is safe and more than sufficient.
B is just great; on par to K.
WF has a disability by not notifying about outbound connection, so you have to keep all outbound traffic allowed and manually block certain apps and services; simplewall is just as fine as WFC with the adv of being RAM friendly.
 
I'm not a gamer or graphics man too.
But compared to less than 100 MB used by K, B uses 400-500, with nearly equal CPU consumption.
In addition, in K I can disable encrypted connection scan and use extension to deliver the same web protection; in B, trafficlight does not provide equal protection.
I can't understand why many are "scared" when they see a higher RAM usage compared to other AVs. In my case the maximum usage reaches 300 MB on 4GB of RAM. On 16 GB of RAM you have a lot of other RAM available and so what do you do with all that free RAM? The RAM usage in Bitdefender, in my experience, is reduced if the remaining RAM decreases because it is used by other applications. The RAM is there and must be used, furthermore it is not the RAM usage that slows down the PC if there is enough of it. Furthermore the higher RAM usage in Bitdefender allows for faster intervention in the event of a malware attack on the PC. What slows down the PC is the CPU usage and the continuous writing on the hard disk (with the use of SSD the speed increases).
However if you are happy with Kaspersky and you like it don't worry.
 
I can't understand why many are "scared" when they see a higher RAM usage compared to other AVs. In my case the maximum usage reaches 300 MB on 4GB of RAM. On 16 GB of RAM you have a lot of other RAM available and so what do you do with all that free RAM? The RAM usage in Bitdefender, in my experience, is reduced if the remaining RAM decreases because it is used by other applications. The RAM is there and must be used, furthermore it is not the RAM usage that slows down the PC if there is enough of it. Furthermore the higher RAM usage in Bitdefender allows for faster intervention in the event of a malware attack on the PC. What slows down the PC is the CPU usage and the continuous writing on the hard disk (with the use of SSD the speed increases).
However if you are happy with Kaspersky and you like it don't worry.
Speaking about SDD, one more reason for not using B is excessive write to SSD with each single definitions update.
I prefer saving my unused RAM for the voracious browser, especially when opening too many tabs.
 
Avast/AVG's Firewall is often a bit too aggressive. Something went wrong I guess after you switched to ask mode.
Setting firewall to ask modeusually cause issues with most AV products.
It's better to put certain critical exe to ask/block mode instead. For example, powershell.exe, curl.exe, and more since they can be used by malware.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top