App Review Avira Browser Safety Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
W

Wave

Thread author
Maybe they're extension works well but they need to work on their Avira Anti-Virus installation - by default that optimisation crap will come bundled with the installation, and when you uninstall the AV it won't remove the other Avira products they install.

The launcher was also a very bad move on their part.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Maybe they're extension works well but they need to work on their Avira Anti-Virus installation - by default that optimisation crap will come bundled with the installation, and when you uninstall the AV it won't remove the other Avira products they install.

The launcher was also a very bad move on their part.
I agree with you completely...Avira makes this brilliant free extension but they mess up the free Anti-Virus by adding useless software. I much prefer Avast to Avira.

W

Wave

Thread author
I agree with you completely...Avira makes this brilliant free extension but they mess up the free Anti-Virus by adding useless software. I much prefer Avast to Avira.
Emsisoft and Avast in my opinion are two of the most reliable vendors out there. Of course in my books, Emsisoft will take top place due to their privacy policy and the amount of dedication they have for the interest of the user (e.g. they spend lots of time working on ransomware decryption tools if possible for no additional cost, provide free malware removal assistance, etc).

Avira need to stop focusing on pushing their optimisation rubbish (in other words, "bloatware") and they need to start focusing on improving the actual protection that their Anti-Virus product will provide to the user. Signature scanning and basic static heuristics is becoming more and more obsolete, it's important for paid security solutions to include good zero-day behavioural protection (dynamic-based) these days (e.g. Behaviour Blocker/HIPS, sandbox/virtualisation, safe browser (e.g. protected web-browser which is harder to be attacked/compromised), etc).

On top of this, they need to put some additional focus into the Graphical User Interface, their GUI needs to be modernised IMO. Watch all the other vendors release their new product versions with nice beautiful new GUI's, and then there is just Avira, with the hardly-changed GUI. Of course the actual protection will always be the main priority before this though.

Of course all that is really necessary these days if you are knowledgeable and pay attention and do not easily attract to click-bait is Windows Defender, but in my eyes it seems Avira hasn't done much towards improvements in their actual protection for a long time. If the users wanted their security to just heavily rely on signature detection they can stick to Windows Defender.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Emsisoft and Avast in my opinion are two of the most reliable vendors out there. Of course in my books, Emsisoft will take top place due to their privacy policy and the amount of dedication they have for the interest of the user (e.g. they spend lots of time working on ransomware decryption tools if possible for no additional cost, provide free malware removal assistance, etc).

Avira need to stop focusing on pushing their optimisation rubbish (in other words, "bloatware") and they need to start focusing on improving the actual protection that their Anti-Virus product will provide to the user. Signature scanning and basic static heuristics is becoming more and more obsolete, it's important for paid security solutions to include good zero-day behavioural protection (dynamic-based) these days (e.g. Behaviour Blocker/HIPS, sandbox/virtualisation, safe browser (e.g. protected web-browser which is harder to be attacked/compromised), etc).

On top of this, they need to put some additional focus into the Graphical User Interface, their GUI needs to be modernised IMO. Watch all the other vendors release their new product versions with nice beautiful new GUI's, and then there is just Avira, with the hardly-changed GUI. Of course the actual protection will always be the main priority before this though.

Of course all that is really necessary these days if you are knowledgeable and pay attention and do not easily attract to click-bait is Windows Defender, but in my eyes it seems Avira hasn't done much towards improvements in their actual protection for a long time. If the users wanted their security to just heavily rely on signature detection they can stick to Windows Defender.
Well said! The GUI of Avira is just horrible & so is the bloatware, they really should just get their act together and maybe then they would be more popular.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Nice review @MalwareBlockerYT ! Avira did a good job there, seems to be very effective. Anyway, I also agree completely what @Wave said above, always very interesting to read his comments.
It would be very interesting a comparison of these security addons out there, (that actually, there are a loto_O), Avast's, Avira's, Norton's, Panda's, McAfee's....
Thanks for watching & I can definitely do a comparison when I have some time :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014

Could not agree more! Am a happy user of the browser extension, but I really dislike the 90's / early 2000 GUI of Avira (I really love the 90s though!). Judging from both @cruelsister 's test of the v2017 of Avira Free and here The Best Free Antivirus Protection of 2016, the BB is bad or even non-existent, an issue to be urgently adressed, as signatures become more and more obselete. I rather use a product like Comodo FW sandboxing everything unknown (and having agressive HIPS being triggered by something accessing trusted, non-sandboxed apps like Steam - today's case: RoN (steam purchased and Steam related)) than a product relying completely on near-perfect signatures. Of course, a combination of good signatures and good BB / HIPS makes it much more easier to decide on threats and FP.
I enjoyed EIS back in the days because being one of the few vendors concentrating on a pure AV experience combined with a powerful and talkative firewall than a bloated do-it-all app. Did I mention their GUI is great as well?
EDIT: Comodo Firewall is of course customized, "Proactive Security", to not show less alerts (first window of installation, optional in custom installation settings) and some settings I found on a post by our former member @Kate_L. Stock CIS/CF might be more quiet.

W

Wave

Thread author
@Der.Reisende The Emsisoft products GUI are amazing because it used the PURISTA UI concept as a base, @MrXidus was involved with Emsisoft GUI designing. And since @MrXidus is the best UI designer, this puts Emsisoft in the lead for that too. ;) (well IMO he is the best designer, I'm yet to see a better GUI designed by someone else, haha).

From the thread:
Update: Emsisoft has since respectfully acquired the rights to this design and have implemented it in their own way.

Forget the new Avast GUI, even the PURISTA concept back from 2013 is better IMO.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
@Der.Reisende The Emsisoft products GUI are amazing because it used the PURISTA UI concept as a base, @MrXidus was involved with Emsisoft GUI designing. And since @MrXidus is the best UI designer, this puts Emsisoft in the lead for that too. ;) (well IMO he is the best designer, I'm yet to see a better GUI designed by someone else, haha).

From the thread:

Forget the new Avast GUI, even the PURISTA concept back from 2013 is better IMO.
Jup, stumbled across this one once in the Artwork section and instantly recognized it :D It's a superb design!
I've not yet seen much of the new Avast!, I think it has a purple ( o_O:confused:) GUI now? Might ask @silversurfer or my dad for some screenshots, both use the free version. Changelog - avast New Beta version released - 12.4.2281
However, @cruelsister 's comment on that made my day - "Discussing the new GUI is like discussing earrings on a pig. At the end of the day it still oinks." :D
However, Avast! had some quite innovative designs in the past, for me a reason to get it (quite some years ago):rolleyes:

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Jup, stumbled across this one once in the Artwork section and instantly recognized it :D It's a superb design!
I've not yet seen much of the new Avast!, I think it has a purple ( o_O:confused:) GUI now? Might ask @silversurfer or my dad for some screenshots, both use the free version. Changelog - avast New Beta version released - 12.4.2281
However, @cruelsister 's comment on that made my day - "Discussing the new GUI is like discussing earrings on a pig. At the end of the day it still oinks." :D
However, Avast! had some quite innovative designs in the past, for me a reason to get it (quite some years ago):rolleyes:
A purple GUI?

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author

From the thread:

I love the Emsisoft GUI too but I also really like Kaspersky's. Both have such a clean look & feel to them and this makes them instantly better than the competition in terms of GUI (in particular Avira...)

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hello geeks Is avira browser better than trafficlight,when you have bitdefender 2017 installed
And Avira Way to go!!,thanks for the video:)
Hi there! I would say that Avira Browser Safety works well with any Anti-Virus software & is a worthy addition to your security setup. I would try using both & see how it goes. I think that Avira Browser Safety will have a higher detection rate but I haven't tested trafficlight yet so I cannot be 100% positive.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hello geeks Is avira browser better than trafficlight,when you have bitdefender 2017 installed
according to what I have observed, I have used both for a long time:
- avira blocks more than bitdefender trafficlight
- avira has more false positives, sometimes flags safe sites as dangerous
- avira uses significantly less CPU and maybe have faster browsing speed than BD. BD was reported by about:performance in firefox as CPU hog
- avira can block trackers while BD only detects but doesn't block (I think)

BitDefender 2017 scans the traffic and blocks if it detects something. Trafficlight and avira browser safety only use a list of known bad websites or minimal scanning methods (not sure)

BitDefender > Avira browser safety > Trafficlight
My opinion

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
according to what I have observed, I have used both for a long time:
- avira blocks more than bitdefender trafficlight
- avira has more false positives, sometimes flags safe sites as dangerous
- avira uses significantly less CPU and maybe have faster browsing speed than BD. BD was reported by about:performance in firefox as CPU hog
- avira can block trackers while BD only detects but doesn't block (I think)

BitDefender 2017 scans the traffic and blocks if it detects something. Trafficlight and avira browser safety only use a list of known bad websites or minimal scanning methods (not sure)

BitDefender > Avira browser safety > Trafficlight
My opinion
I would agree with you ;) Bitdefender & Avira Browser Safety would be what I would personally use if I was in your situation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.