Advice Request Avoid These Browsers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
My bad then. After all there is no option to enable or disable it and no way to force HTTPS connections as far as I know.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
even the ones that are considered trustworthy
Regarding extensions, it is important to know that the original coder of a well known extension could sell the rights to that extension to someone else who may not be as upright as was the original author. It could then be maliciously re-coded and dished out as an IMPORTANT UPDATE (I normally would give an example at this point, but sadly I have misplaced my old notes).

Anyway, Best Practice is to use as few extensions as possible, make sure those that are installed have a long track record of being benign, and understand that any updates to them should be viewed as totally new and untrusted.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The main point of this thread is not about the thing you personally do. It's about the Google's browser engine being the monopoly, which is a big problem in both privacy and security aspects. Did you just don't get it or completely dismiss this idea?

I think if somebody does really care about privacy, it's indeed makes sense to use Gecko, or even at least changing the user-agent to Firefox on a Chromium-based browser.
So Microsoft, Brave, Vivaldi, Opera and Yandex just sit and watch and tell their developers to do what Google wants? That is simply not true, to much conflicting commercial interest for each player. Look what happened to Google's Manifest 3.0 and FLOC?

The changes to Manifest 3.0 and rejection of FLOC is what factually happened in the real world..

Now who is posting opinions and who is posting facts? The Mozilla fanboys or the Chromium fanboys?

PS.1 Chromium the engine of Chrome browser is also open source.

PS 2.Changing your user agent does not increase your privacy, it makes you easier to tag

PS 3. When Manchester City plays against Manchester United or Real Madrid plays against Atletico Madrid the fans of each club look at the same pitch but the fans from opposing parties see a different ball game. Same with Chromium and Mozialla fanboys, they look at the same facts but interpret them differently (probably always in favour of the browser they like)

PS 4. I just installed Firefox on my Android phone to help you share your freedom of choice ideal (as long as you don't mind I keep using my chromium based browser on my pc)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Regarding extensions, it is important to know that the original coder of a well known extension could sell the rights to that extension to someone else who may not be as upright as was the original author. It could then be maliciously re-coded and dished out as an IMPORTANT UPDATE (I normally would give an example at this point, but sadly I have misplaced my old notes).

Anyway, Best Practice is to use as few extensions as possible, make sure those that are installed have a long track record of being benign, and understand that any updates to them should be viewed as totally new and untrusted.
What about filters and userscripts etc used in DNS blocking and Adguard for desktop? Are they not the same as extensions/addons............with the risk there?

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
What about filters and userscripts etc used in DNS blocking and Adguard for desktop? Are they not the same as extensions/addons............with the risk there?
DNS-filtering takes place server-side, outside your device. The DNS-provider can't interfere in the content of the sites you visit. So it's a preferable way of ad- and tracker blocking. And perhaps the best way to curb the manic collector's passion of Google and others, especially on Android devices.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
1. DNS-filtering takes place server-side, outside your device.
Ture
The DNS-provider can't interfere in the content of the sites you visit.
Not entirely correct
Advertisements are also content made out of scripts, media and content. Scripts, images, text, etcetera are all data somewhere located on a server in the cloud. A DNS can interfere with websitecontent by not resolving references to content located in the cinternet. When an embedded ink to a youtube movie is not resolved, the content won't play.

Jan Willy said:
So it's a preferable way of ad- and tracker blocking. And perhaps the best way to curb the manic collector's passion of Google and others

Partly true
For third-party trackers using canonical name cloaking a DNS is the best place to block these type of trackers. For advanced (affiliae) tracking and tagging a DNS does not look into the content like adblockers do. An adblocker like uBlock or Adguard can look simantically into the content. A DNS can only resolve (allow) or block an external link. This makes them also the best place for malware blocking

Try enabling the Next_DNS blocklist or AdGuard DNS blocklist without allowing "Affiliate and Trackinglinks" in Next_DNS and Next DNS will block most links you click on in the Google result page (because they are stuffed with tracking and tagging). g (and of course canonical name misuse). This little field test shows that DNS is not the best place to block, redirect or hide advertisements and tracking systems.

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
When an embedded ink to a youtube movie is not resolved, the content won't play.
The DNS-provider only 'sees' the embedded link when you click on it. If there is no blocking rule, the site will be resolved.

Try enabling the Next_DNS blocklist or AdGuard DNS blocklist without allowing "Affiliate and Trackinglinks" in Next_DNS and Next DNS will block most links you click on in the Google result page
Nearly a year I use NextDNS. I can't confirm your statement that most links on Google search page are blocked. I haven't allowed 'Affiliate and Tracking links'. Also I haven't whitelisted anything regarding Google. Maybe it's different if one searches for risky things. ;)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Jan Willy are you sure you enabled Next DNS default or Adguard DNS or Easylist or any blocklist which actually does something useful (so anything except the lame OISD blocklist)?

1618744412382.png

Also why would Next_Dns offer an option to allow 'affiliate and tracking links' when this would not cause problems?

When I look out of the window the earth is flat :) As explained with the soccer games in previous post, what you are experiences might not be the objective real world situation. Same applies for me with my risky searches ;), so like Schrödingers cat we both might be right and wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
@Jan Willy are you sure you enabled Next DNS default or Adguard DNS or Easylist or any blocklist which actually does something useful (so anything except the lame OISD blocklist)?

View attachment 256986
Also why would Next_Dns offer an option to allow 'affiliate and tracking links' when this would not cause problems?

When I look out of the window the earth is flat :) As explained with the soccer games in previous post, what you are experiences might not be the objective real world situation. Same applies for me with my risky searches ;), so like Schrödingers cat we both might be right and wrong.
Your experience reminds me of Dave Berry's songtext 'You've got this strange effect on me'. Because when I search for 'TV' I can open the Coolblue-link without any problem, regardless the filterlist I use. What's shown in the NextDNS log? Has it something to do with the next part of the settings?

1618747101241.png

Reactions: Venustus and Kongo

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
After browsing r/privacytoolsIO these are my conclusions.

If you really care about "privacy and freedom", you may want to avoid the following browsers and also ditch Windows/Mac.

❌ Brave

❌ Chromium - Valid points are made
here

❌ Google Chrome

❌ Microsoft Edge (Chromium)

• ❌ Microsoft Edge (Legacy, unsupported)
  • ❌ Internet Explorer (unsupported)
❌ Opera

❌ Safari

❌ Vivaldi

Consider using these instead:

✅ Mozilla Firefox

✅ Tor Browser
For me personally, the only option is to use Chromium based browser. Because Firefox and other browsers based on Gecko have terrible font rendering. If that was fixed, I'd immediately switch to Firefox. Until then, Chrome is my top choice because of security.

don_dolarson

Dec 15, 2020
If you really care about "privacy and freedom"

No, you may not use Mozilla Firefox, unless you spend couple of days on reading and disabling things. Out of the box it has 0.

Tor, Ungoogled Chromium and Iridium Browser are top 3, but there's much more than just using the right browser.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.