Advice Request Best Adblocker in 2016?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
VOTE: Adguard! (browser extension)
My favorite, it seems to block what I don't want, and leave what I need.

uBlock Origin, I also use on different browser, but it can block an important pop up in a few rare moments (like the net speed test site). Also another site says sorry disable your ADBLOCKER... hmmm! So I did, and the site was sooo slow, and addy ... glad Adguard can handle it without warnings or getting itself blocked from the whole page.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Both Adguard and uBlock O are great.
For a couple of months i use Adguard and after that i change to uBlock O.
I do this because i want to see how much each extension has evolved over the months.
I believe whatever anyone will use he/she will be satisfied by the performance of both products.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I use/recommend uBlock origin..
It is excellent & Free. What's not to like? :)
People here are saying uBlock O can block something more/extra/other than ads.
I am interested in 'what are the additional things' u guys say it can do? If someone can clarify it for me. :rolleyes:
Other than Ads UBlock Origin can block:
Scripts, Frames, Media Elements, Fonts, Trackers, Phishing, Exploits, Spam, Fraud, Misleading Marketing, Piracy, Malicious domains...

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Since the poll says adblocker, I will vote Adguard because I believe it is top dog right now for windows based adblockers... but I have been using uBlock Origin (content blocker) for quite awhile and as far as extensions go, I would choose it over anything else even though adguard's extension is also very good.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
First of all thank you for replying, only you replied to my query :)

Code:
Scripts, Frames, Media Elements, Fonts, Trackers
With regards to what you say, all the things u say in first part of your statement, can be done through other adblocker also.

Code:
Phishing, Exploits, Spam, Fraud, Misleading Marketing, Piracy, Malicious domains
The second part, even in ublock, is achieved by adding filterlists, which again you can do in other adblocker

So my question still remains, what extra?
Most adblockers cannot block scripts..
...uBlock Origin gives more granular control with regards to what/how much it can block in comparison to others.I would suggest that one could only achieve more granular control than uBlock Origin by using uMatrix.
You are correct about the Filter-Lists :)
You asked..
"People here are saying uBlock O can block something more/extra/other than ads.
I am interested in 'what are the additional things' u guys say it can do?"
.and that is the question that I answered.

If you are asking what can uBlock Origin block that other adblockers cannot then I will say Scripts.
uBlock Origin is like an adblocker plus a scriptblocker.:)

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
IMO, there is nothing particularly extra about uBlock O but it is a little better than others in respect of memory footprint (less memory usage), ease of use, many more filters to choose from, etc...

I use ABP in which to block something other than ads, you have to struggle a little, mess around. Whereas in uBlock O you can do these extra blocking with just a click or two. I think that is what is meant here by having something extra. 'Cause it is good for both novice & advanced users.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
My preferences on choosing adblocker are follows:
  1. Aggressive filters (of course least FP, to ensure that malvertising defeated on overall purpose)
  2. Performance wise on browser or desktop.
Ublock Origin and Adguard are both good and meet the important satisfaction of adblockers; likely they play differently on how being efficient.

Through the years I've tested, it seems Ublock Origin have more edge when comes aggressiveness than Adguard; but matter of user preferences.

------------------

Adblock Plus, Ghostery and few seems to be effective but not the expectation to be strong.
For sure the requesting advertisement to be whitelisted and agreement surely affects on how behavior of blocking advertisement should work.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
With regards to script blocking, it is quite contrary actually, other adblockers too can block scripts..
So you're wrong there when you say most adblockers(I can attest for the major ones) cannot block scripts.
Can you explain who are the other adblockers ? Give me an example for blocking scripts ? @Then

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.