Advice Request Best Adblocker in 2016?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm using now uBlock Origin on all my working machines and after few years with ABP i can say: is not so good as uBlock.

Q- why is Ghostery mentioned in the poll?
Disconnect not do the same thing as Ghostery? even better sometimes..

Good point, well actually Disconnect and Ghostery may considered to be adblocker but not fully; since both focus to block important privacy issue trackers only.

D

Deleted member 2913

I have noticed that some sites mention whitelist site/disable your adblocker...this I have noticed with Adguard Extension & Adguard Desktop (no probs on Chrome but on Cyberfox) ...no probs with uBlock Origin.
For Ex - Xiaomi Mi 4i - Full phone specifications (click anywhere on site & wait for few secs) Cyberfox 64 Bits Intel Portable

And I have noticed Adguard Extension is not as efficient on Cyberfox as on Chrome...some ads or block message mentioned above appear on Cyberfox with Adguard Extension but not on Chrome.
For Ex - Sausage.Party.2016.720p.BRRip.x264.AAC-ETRG torrent - Animation torrents - Movies torrents - ExtraTorrent.cc The World's Largest BitTorrent System (ads above comments & bottom of the page) Cyberfox 64 Bits Intel Portable

For uBlock Origin, I unchecked all the filters except EasyList & uBlock Origin had no probs with the block message or ads mentioned above.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Visited both sites using Adguard Windows Software and Opere. I saw no ads. I don't even see space for the ads as Adguard rewrites the page...

W

Wave

Visited both sites using Adguard Windows Software and Opere. I saw no ads. I don't even see space for the ads as Adguard rewrites the page...
I would assume it utilises techniques like hiding the detected elements as opposed to doing something like re-writing the page completely (via JavaScript injection into the pages being loaded). For example, you have a webpage with 20 elements and 10 of these elements may be hidden (therefore "blocked") as being detected to be used for advertisements. :)

Most ad-blockers probably do this, JavaScript injection is a common technique to allow the ad-blocker to intercept the advertisement elements (well "scan" for them is a bit more accurate) so they can hide them.

As well as this, the ad-blocker software will most likely block connections to hosts in the databases, since the dynamic scanning and hiding will be surpassed somehow at some point. On browsers like Google Chrome the extension will normally use the Chrome API to intercept the traffic and block the web requests to hosts in the database (for example). :)

Reactions: DardiM and XhenEd
D

Deleted member 2913

I meant Cyberfox browser. May be other Firefox clone too.

No probs on Chrome. So guess no probs on Chrome clone too.

Reactions: frogboy

Vanduss

Level 2
Verified
Dec 17, 2015
Ublock origin is the lightest and most effective adblock i've come across. I simply love the adblock host list, and other lists that prevent alot of tracking and malware. never seen ad ever since i installed ublock origin!:cool::cool:

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.