Advice Request Best Adblocker in 2016?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Can you explain who are the other adblockers ? Give me an example for blocking scripts ? @Then

ublock origin has a user friendly function to block scripts but other adblockers like ABP don't have that. You have to set a custom rule/filter to block the js. The point is others can block js too but a very easy to use feature is not present, that's all.

To combat with js, i use NoScript and it provides many more options than just blocking js.

Last edited:
Y

yigido

For uBlock Origin,
Important: Chromium-based browsers do not relay websocket connections to the extension API. This means websites can use websocket connections to bypass uBO (or any other blocker). This can be remediated by installing uBO's companion extension uBO-WebSocket.

but If I am not wrong, Adguard extension on every browser can filter websocket connections.
Another +1 for Adguard on my side

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
I used for a two years Ublock Origin (in fact i've suggested this amazing program a lot of people), and recently i read its wiki and i've discovered "advanced user" option and dynamic filters. I only can say it's absolutely impressive! It's worth spend a little time to understand how configure it. I don't think there can be nothing better than this little gem (and also open-source!)

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dynamic-filtering:-quick-guide

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I am using uBlock Origin, Ghostery, Adguard Adblocker and some others on my Chrome browser. For Firefox I use uBlock Origin, Adguard Adblocker plus some others.

uBlock Origin is set to default mode.

In Chrome, if I just surf any website uBlock Origin and Adguard Adblocker would block more or less equal in numbers +/- 2. However, when I am in Outlook (aka Hotmail) Adguard Adblocker will win by +10 in numbers. Ghostery blocks less than both of them.

In Firefox, I can only see Adguard Adblocker working. uBlock Origin is not blocking anything. uBlock Origin seems to be irrelevant. Not sure advanced mode is of any help. Not using Ghostery since it clashed with RequestPolicy Continued

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@HarborFront
It is not a good idea to use multiple adblocking extensions together as they will conflict.
IMO you should choose either Adguard or uBlock Origin...
The numbers of blocked items on the icons will not tell you the full story..
About- This other extension reports more stuff blocked
..and the two competing extensions will not process the requests "simultaneously".

The Advanced mode of uBlock Origin provides the ability to block additional requests such as Scripts and Frames.These can be blocked globally (For all pages) or Locally (For just the current page)..
You can use an extension like uBlock Origin "out of the box" or can use it to block almost everything on the page.There is a medium mode that may interest you..
uBlock Origin- Medium Blocking mode

Another factor that will make a difference is "Which" filter lists you have selected.
As well as the lists available to choose from within your chosen extension's settings there are also many extra "Custom" lists available.
Choosing filter lists allow you to select those that fit your browsing habits,as well as your language and location.
To give you an idea,below (within the spoiler) is a list of many of the "custom filters" that I use with uBlock Origin..
UPDATED ON 29/09/2016- New Links are in Green

Below are links to 48 uBlock Origin "Custom Filters" .
Please Note that adding numerous extra filters should be done with a degree of caution.
I suggest to add maybe 2 or 3 of those that interest you at a time and check for any issues such as "Browser Slow-Down", "Web-Page Breakage", "Specific Site-Access Denial"..etc.All of our surfing habits differ,so just add the filters that you consider beneficial to you.

To add these Filters to uBlock Origin-
Go to uBlock Origin's Settings --> 3rd-Party Filters --> Scroll down to the bottom of the page and "Paste" the URL of the desired filter into the box provided --> Then Click on the "Parse" button --> Then click the "Apply Changes" button that will appear on the right side of the screen.

The "Click Here" Buttons below will take you to each respective Filter-List page.
Some of the pages may take a few seconds to load due to their size.
This will allow you to "Copy & Paste" the URL into uBlock Origin should you wish to.
Many of the Filters below are available on Filterlists.com, which has many more lists including language/region specific.

Adguard Annoyances Filter‎ -Click Here
Adguard English Filter -Click Here
Adguard Mobile Ads Filter‎ -Click Here
Adguard Social Media Filter‎ -Click Here
Adguard Spyware Filter‎ -Click Here
Adversity -Click Here
Adversity: Extreme Measures -Click Here
BBcan177 -Click Here
Block all well known privacy trackers‎ -(gnuzilla) -Click Here
Block-EU-Cookie-#####-List‎ -Click Here
Dawsey21- Main Blacklist -Click Here
Desbma/referer-spam-domains/blacklist -Click Here
Fanboy's Anti-thirdparty Fonts‎ -Click Here
Fanboy's Cookiemonster List‎ -Click Here
Hexxium Creations Threat List -Click Here
hpHosts/Ads & Trackers -Click Here
hpHosts/emd -(Malware) -Click Here
hpHosts/exp -(Exploits) -Click Here
hpHosts/fsa -(Fraud) -Click Here
hpHosts/grm -(Spam) -Click Here
hpHosts/hjk -(Hijacking) -Click Here
hpHosts/hphosts-partial -(Added to hpHosts AFTER the last full release) -Click Here
hpHosts/mmt -(Misleading Marketing) -Click Here
hpHosts/pha -(Illegal Pharmacy Sites) -Click Here
hpHosts/psh -(Phishing) -Click Here
hpHosts/wrz -(Piracy) -Click Here
Hosts.herndl.org/hosts.txt‎ -(Adblocking) -Click Here
Hostsfile.org/Downloads/hosts -Click Here
I don't care about cookies‎ -(kiboke-studio) -Click Here
Jmdugan/blocklists/master/corporations/facebook -Click Here
Jmdugan/blocklists/master/corporations/microsoft -Click Here
Joewein -Click Here
Malekal.com/HOSTS_filtre/HOSTS -Click Here
Nabble/semalt-blocker/master/domains -Click Here
Openphish.com/feed -Click Here
Osint.bambenekconsulting.com/feeds/c2-dommasterlist -Click Here
Phishing.mailscanner.info/phishing.bad.sites (Phishtank) -Click Here
Piperun's iplogger filter‎ -Click Here
Quidsup/notrack/master/trackers -Click Here
Ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_DOMBL -Click Here
Ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_URLBL -Click Here
Rickrolldb.com/ricklist -Click Here
Security-research.dyndns.org/ponmocup-infected-domains Click Here-
StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts‎ -Click Here
Threatcrowd.org/feeds/domains -Click Here
Vxvault.net//URL_List -Click Here
Youtube: Pure Video Experience‎ -Click Here
Zant95/hosts/master/hosts‎‎ -(Blocks Download Sites) -Click Here

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
@HarborFront
It is not a good idea to use multiple adblocking extensions together as they will conflict.
..and the two competing extensions will not process the requests "simultaneously".

The Advanced mode of uBlock Origin provides the ability to block additional requests such as Scripts and Frames.These can be blocked globally (For all pages) or Locally (For just the current page)..
You can use an extension like uBlock Origin "out of the box" or can use it to block almost everything on the page.There is a medium mode that may interest you..

Another factor that will make a difference is "Which" filter lists you have selected.
As well as the lists available to choose from within your chosen extension's settings there are also many extra "Custom" lists available.
Choosing filter lists allow you to select those that fit your browsing habits,as well as your language and location.
To give you an idea,below (within the spoiler) is a list of many of the "custom filters" that I use with uBlock Origin..

Please Note that adding numerous extra filters should be done with a degree of caution.
I suggest to add maybe 2 or 3 of those that interest you at a time and check for any issues such as "Browser Slow-Down", "Web-Page Breakage", "Specific Site-Access Denial"..etc.All of our surfing habits differ,so just add the filters that you consider beneficial to you.

Go to uBlock Origin's Settings --> 3rd-Party Filters --> Scroll down to the bottom of the page and "Paste" the URL of the desired filter into the box provided --> Then Click on the "Parse" button --> Then click the "Apply Changes" button that will appear on the right side of the screen.

The "Click Here" Buttons below will take you to each respective Filter-List page.
This will allow you to "Copy & Paste" the URL into uBlock Origin should you wish to.
Many of the Filters below are available on Filterlists.com, which has many more lists including language/region specific.

Adversity -Click Here
BBcan177 -Click Here
hpHosts/hphosts-partial -(Added to hpHosts AFTER the last full release) -Click Here
Joewein -Click Here

Very valuable information. Thanks a lot. I've written a little guide of dynamic filtering on Ublock Origin, but unfortunately it's in Spanish language. How Logethica says, with advanced mode in Ublock Origin you can filter any frame or script, even the anti-adblock alerts of many webs. It's a great and powerful tool. Example for www.lavanguardia.com:

24v7dsi.jpg

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You are right there that ease of use is a factor while determining the choice of adblocker you use. Some may be more familiar with the ublock UI and at the same time some maybe familiar with another. FWIW I'm as familiar with ABP as I'm with Ublock and I respect the difference between them.
BTW I don't like ublock delaying hiding for lesser memory footprint on first load.(a fact the dev has himself accepted).

Again, what is the 'aggressiveness' u speak of? Can you explain more :D

Yesterday, Logethica was speaking of more granularity with ublock, I can safely say that ABP offers more granularity. I wonder how I missed the point.

Aggressive in the sense where an adblocker should block inline scripts which may considered malicious upon visiting webpages.

Remember that no more site are considered safe since it can be prone for script/advertisement attacks.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront

Adversity -Click Here
BBcan177 -Click Here
Joewein -Click Here

i'm using the default settings and filter lists in uBlock Origin and Adguard Adblocker. Nothing extra here. I know the numbers displayed by the counters don't mean a thing unless I go in and look at specifically what they are blocking but it's too much a hassle to do that. That's for Chrome

But in Firefox it is strange that uBlock Origin is not blocking a thing. So I'll need to investigate further to see which add-on is doing the job or conflicting with it. Maybe Firefox itself is doing the job?

Thanks for your advise.

Update:- Found that Adguard Adblocker clash with uBlock Oringin so removed the former and now the latter works fine. But in Chrome both can coexist well, strange?

Last edited:

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
uBlock is the best content blocker, that is, it can block ads but also popups, scripts, etc. It is also very lightweight and a very good option when you dont want to install any software for this specific purpose.

Reactions: Logethica

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
I'm using now uBlock Origin on all my working machines and after few years with ABP i can say: is not so good as uBlock.

Q- why is Ghostery mentioned in the poll?
Disconnect not do the same thing as Ghostery? even better sometimes..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.