Advice Request Best alternative to LastPass 2021

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Eggnog

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
As many of you already know, LastPass is changing to only supporting one device in its free version beginning March 16. LastPass has had some issues since acquired by LogMeIn and I've had trouble from time to time with log ins not working properly. I've been using LastPass for several years but I think it's time for a change. What is a good alternative? I don't care whether it's free or paid, so long as it is secure and reputable, has all the core features you would expect, has a clean interface, is relatively intuitive to use, and doesn't require a doctorate to set up. I already have my LastPass .csv exported so I'm good to go. If it has some useful bells and whistles, that's okay, too. I don't, however, want to pay about $25 over the standard price of other comparable managers for Dashlane just to get its stupid VPN which is just a basic rebrand of HotSpot Shield. Thanks in advance.

Eggnog

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
If price is not the issue then you should be happy with 1Password.
Bitwarden is great for a free password manager but I have encountered some major issues with sync - I was forced to log out and log back in again in order to sync newly created entries.
1Password is the most reputable and mature password manager out there.
Actually, I'm really liking 1Password so far. It's execution is astounding, it's UI is extremely organized and intuitive, it flawlessly imported my LastPass data, has a great desktop app, and so far doesn't seem to have anything that makes me go "hmmmm". I used LastPass for quite a few years and I can say already that it leaves LastPass in the dust, and is similarly priced, as well.

I use Win 10 and Android, as does most of my family, but I do have one Apple geek in the family so I do appreciate that, by all accounts, 1Password is considered the "go to" password manager for many Apple fans. All in all, this is probably what I'll settle on.

Upvote 0

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Actually, I'm really liking 1Password so far. It's execution is astounding, it's UI is extremely organized and intuitive, it flawlessly imported my LastPass data, has a great desktop app, and so far doesn't seem to have anything that makes me go "hmmmm". I used LastPass for quite a few years and I can say already that it leaves LastPass in the dust, and is similarly priced, as well.

I use Win 10 and Android, as does most of my family, but I do have one Apple geek in the family so I do appreciate that, by all accounts, 1Password is considered the "go to" password manager for many Apple fans. All in all, this is probably what I'll settle on.

1Password for the browser can also make an option like Bitwarden as well to not ask for the master password every time opening the browser.
An option for that could be like this:
Don’t ask for a password on this device for 30 days.

Why Bitwarden has that option? Why can’t 1Password have? Bitwarden is FOSS. So that’s a good point.

Upvote 0

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
1Password for the browser can also make an option like Bitwarden as well to not ask for the master password every time opening the browser.

Why Bitwarden has that option? Why can’t 1Password have? Bitwarden is FOSS. So that’s a good point.
Maybe because this is not reasonable to leave your vault unprotected?

Upvote 0

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Advanced/knowledgeable users must have options to decide for.
Advanced/knowledgable users know that it is not reasonable to leave the vault unprotected.
The best security must be foolproof.
If you don't like 1Password's security model - go for Bitwarden or any other PM which gives you other options. It's all about personal preference :emoji_beer:

Upvote 0

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Is this possible for me to create a Bitwarden free account, import all my current password items to Bitwarden, and only use Bitwarden's browser extension on my computer, alongside the 1Password desktop Windows application?

Upvote 0

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Advanced/knowledgable users know that it is not reasonable to leave the vault unprotected.
The best security must be foolproof.
If you don't like 1Password's security model - go for Bitwarden or any other PM which gives you other options. It's all about personal preference
1615236495217.png

Thats the great policy I am talking above: Give advanced users an option. Look, there is a warning there. So it leaves the responsibility on the user's end.
I set it to Never:
1615236704262.png

If 1Password implements such feature, I will stay with them, otherwise, after my current subscription ends, I will switch to Bitwarden. :)

Reactions: Nevi and enaph
Upvote 0

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
No need to enter the master password every time for its Desktop app and browser addon = less one hassle.
@entropism made the wise and right choice to go back with the Bitwarden.
I'm not too fond of the idea of developers that don't give options for different kinds of people in terms of security and usability of the software.

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019

Dashlane has this option too, but, personally, I would not enable it for it requires your master password to be "securely" memorised, right? I know it is inconvenient to re-enter you master password every time you open your browser, but I can live with it for it more secure to stay that way.

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
No need to enter the master password every time for its Desktop app and browser addon = less one hassle.
But the standalone extension (formerly 1Password X) is more intuitive and offers features not available in the legcy extension such as automatically scanning 2FA QR codes and adding them to security section in the specified item.

Upvote 0

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
As many of you already know, LastPass is changing to only supporting one device in its free version beginning March 16. LastPass has had some issues since acquired by LogMeIn and I've had trouble from time to time with log ins not working properly. I've been using LastPass for several years but I think it's time for a change. What is a good alternative? I don't care whether it's free or paid, so long as it is secure and reputable, has all the core features you would expect, has a clean interface, is relatively intuitive to use, and doesn't require a doctorate to set up. I already have my LastPass .csv exported so I'm good to go. If it has some useful bells and whistles, that's okay, too. I don't, however, want to pay about $25 over the standard price of other comparable managers for Dashlane just to get its stupid VPN which is just a basic rebrand of HotSpot Shield. Thanks in advance.
Greetings all.... I was informed today by the folks at LastPass that if you were a Webroot Password Manager account holder, that you are good to go. No extra charges. You must have a premium license from LastPass. (which you would have gotten when LastPass took over the program).

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Dashlane has this option too, but, personally, I would not enable it for it requires your master password to be "securely" memorised, right? I know it is inconvenient to re-enter you master password every time you open your browser, but I can live with it for it more secure to stay that way.
You can also set a practice aside with your master password to practice repeating it verbally or writing it on paper.

• Applause
Reactions: Divine_Barakah
Upvote 0

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Well I've tried Bitwarden which is okay but doesn't always prompt to add new logins. 1Password is much better (currently using free trial) but can I be bothered to pay for it? I'm only using one device group (desktop/laptop) and would seldom be tempted to do confidential transactions on a smartphone. If I did I'd only need to remember a few key passwords anyway. End result I'll just stick with LastPass, which works well, for my desktop/laptops but periodically update my new Bitwarden password vault which I'll keep in reserve until LP really hack me off or I need both device groups regularly!

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm not too fond of the idea of developers that don't give options for different kinds of people in terms of security and usability of the software.
"Remember my password" is not security.

Just because that option exists on popular and open-source software, does not mean it's the right choice, or everyone should have it.

I think if Personal Security is not your highest concern, then 1Password is not the solution for you.
  • The vault does not need to be open all the time
  • It defeats the purpose of a secure password manager
  • Security should not be a convivence

August 2020 Link: Feature Request: Option in App and Plugin to "Remember Master Password" so users have the choice
whitlabs said:
"Remember master password" is currently a popular feature in LastPass that ads a significant amount of convenience which encourages our users to actually USE the provided password manager... without the option to stay logged in even through reboots will greatly reduce adoption within the user base so I hesitate to migrate from LastPass.
Response:
Ben said:
As far as I'm aware this is not something that is currently on our radar, likely because of the security implications you mentioned.

Useful suggestions for convenience only and is not security advice:
  • Allow your default browser to store credentials for daily access
  • Remain logged in to the sites (i.e. don't clear cookies)
  • If using Chrome Sync, use a custom passphrase rather than your Google Password. (Don't forget it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.