Help Me Decide Best combo of FW, HIPS, SB & BB - Your views

Discussion in 'Compare Apps Archive' started by HarborFront, Jan 23, 2017.

1. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Avast AV is my AV. As for adroxideHIPS and reHIPS you mentioned they are different HIPS, right?

If I drop reHIPS then I don't have SB

Unless the new Avast uses both BB + HIPS then I'll drop adroxideHIPS (HIPS + BB)

AtlBo, Yash Khan and SHvFl like this.
  2. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    what was wrong with the Jeff_T - Testing Group handle?

3. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    Odd to type and too many characters.

jelson, davisd, Xtwillight and 4 others like this.
  4. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    Most of us were combo crazy at one time or another. Nowadays I'd rather spectate pigeons.

davisd, Xtwillight, AtlBo and 3 others like this.
  5. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I know, i used to run a lot also but there is no point. If you cover the bases you are fine. If you get infected i can assure you even if you had 100 programs running the result would have been the same.

6. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    is adroxideHIPS in private beta or something? Mr. Google doesn't seem to know very much about it...

AtlBo, SHvFl and Yash Khan like this.
  7. TerrakionSmash

TerrakionSmash Level 16

Nov 17, 2016
    Somewhere underwater or over water. I am water!
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    But that will re-enable Windows Defender

8. TerrakionSmash

TerrakionSmash Level 16

Nov 17, 2016
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    The two accounts seem to have quite different personalities.

9. Wave

Wave Guest

#29 Wave, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
    If you're talking about mixing reHIPS with AdroxideHIPS (once it's released), there shouldn't be a problem with compatibility since reHIPS works completely differently and therefore shouldn't get in the way of AdroxideHIPS functionality. While I haven't tested it myself yet, as long as AdroxideHIPS can access the memory of other running programs then there won't be an issue.

I doubt Avast will release any BB/HIPS which is even close to what AdroxideHIPS is being built to do anytime soon because I think they would've done it by now if they wanted to.

Yes, it is in private testing and this is due to it still being in development. Of course I could release a beta version and have it's release launch off quicker but I don't really feel this is appropriate since not only does the first opinion of a companies software stick, but in terms of security software I believe it's important for it to be reliable and functioning correctly.

Once the product is closer to release (I would say the ETA is 1-2 months) I will have some others test it out privately, and if everything is alright then I'll be able to release it to the public (the free version - the premium version will take additional time).

Thank you for your kind words, even more reason not to release it until it's perfect, knowing that friends are waiting! Originally I wasn't going to provide the details until the development stages was closer to release, however... The easiest way to explain how my BB/HIPS product works is by mentioning the Emsisoft Behavior Blocker; for example, AdroxideHIPS can ask the user if they wish to allow a program: to inject code into another program, install a device driver/create & start a Windows Service, modify the Windows Hosts file, modify the Master Boot Record, hijack the browser (e.g. change the Internet Explorer or Google Chrome home-page), install keyboard hooks (used by keyloggers), ransomware protection (e.g. encryption attempts to files), add to start-up (e.g. via the registry, task scheduler, start-up folder, etc.), drop files to protected directories such as the start of it.Windows folder, perform unwanted system modifications (e.g. disabling of Task Manager, Registry Tools, or even UAC), and that's just the

That being said, for every BB/HIPS feature, the user can change the rule-sets to have it auto-allow/auto-block/ask the user - therefore if they want to allow a program to add to start-up but auto-block modifications to the Master Boot Record (and they can have it set to alert them when this action was auto-blocked) then that is fine.

Alongside this, I am working towards dynamic heuristics (which will also be able to be disabled at the users decision) which will log the activity and intervene only when it's very certain that the program is indeed malicious, without needing any static databases to work with... And anti-executable.

I hope the wait won't be too long for release, I'm just as excited as you are... I've been studying and working for a long time, hopefully the work will be paid off and count towards something!

Thanks for reading. :)

davisd, silversurfer, AtlBo and 5 others like this.
  10. Zero Knowledge

Zero Knowledge Level 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Dark Cloud Universe
    To be honest you don't need that combo of security software.

I would just install 1 good AV/Malware suite that has exploit protection and have a few on demand scanners for back up.

Anything more is just bloat and not needed.

davisd, kev216, AtlBo and 3 others like this.
  11. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Yes, taking a suite is one option. However, it'll deprive me of experimenting with other software

davisd, AtlBo, SHvFl and 3 others like this.
  12. Wave

Wave Guest

You could use an Anti-Virus product for real-time/web protection (e.g. Avast), alongside with a standalone BB/HIPS product - adding on a couple browser extensions such as uBlock and HTTPSEverywhere would be clean too. That would be a pretty neat configuration.

Alternatively, you could work with isolation methods via Shadow Defender - take note that data theft can still occur when you are using this product.

davisd, kev216, BugCode and 3 others like this.
  13. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    the word that comes to mind is "awesome"

Behold Eck, davisd, AtlBo and 3 others like this.
  14. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    The first method is what I'm aiming for with more. As for the second it'll have a problem when software performs auto updates whether you are using SD or SBIE. Moreover, it's more suitable if you are testing malware or software

davisd, AtlBo, SHvFl and 2 others like this.
  15. Wave

Wave Guest

The reason I didn't want to give many details at the start is because a couple months ago it was no where near to release time and wasn't forming together as I had expected, so I knew if I posted anything that was "public", it'd be pointless and raise eyebrows because then everyone would be waiting and they'd see nothing for a long time. I am taking a risk by providing details now, hoping my plans go to plan... But I don't see why they shouldn't because work is going well. :)

The things I mentioned in the above post are pretty much planned for the free version, I haven't really done much thought on the premium version and it hasn't even been started yet - I can focus on that afterwards if the free version is successful and loved.

Behold Eck, davisd, AtlBo and 5 others like this.
  16. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    So far have you tested your software against RanSim Ransomware Simulator? How's the result?

davisd, AtlBo, SHvFl and 3 others like this.
  17. Wave

Wave Guest

No, because the independent ransomware protection module is not ready to be tested properly (in fact it's on the to-do list really). However, the Master Boot Record protection was finished recently and it's working as expected (it's been tested), therefore ransomware which targets the Master Boot Record such as Petya will simply be unable to do damage to the system without permission from the user. ;)

shukla44, davisd, AtlBo and 5 others like this.
  18. TerrakionSmash

TerrakionSmash Level 16

Nov 17, 2016
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Just imagine yourself if the future where you're bored of everything... before it's too late!!!

davisd, AtlBo, SHvFl and 2 others like this.
  19. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    You mean you are the same HJLBX I PM many times for my queries, etc?
    And you are AppGuard Dev?

AtlBo, SHvFl and shmu26 like this.
  20. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Disable it manually if you are so bothered by it. Afew clicks and you are done. Google it.

davisd, shmu26, AtlBo and 2 others like this.