Biozfear's secondary config 2013 Edition

P

Plexx

Thread author
Additional tools installed/used:
*UAC on default settings;
*Unlocker 1.9.1;
*Perfect Disk (ran by me only, on Demand and will only be installed and the uninstalled once defrag is complete);
*CCleaner Portable;
*Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 Free;
*Winamp;
*Media Player Classic;
*Microsoft Office 2010 Student Edition;
*PeaZip;
*Foxit Reader (PDF);
*Notepad ++ Portable.

A bit to know about this laptop. This is a secondary laptop used at home but not by me. Main purposes is to surf the web, facebook, live messenger and perhaps a couple of downloads here and there.

Manual scans, backups and configurations are done by me. Apart from that I don't really touch the laptop.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config

Good and secure config right the biozfear. Have you upgraded to the latest version of VIPRE?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Any particular reason why Vipre, or just personal preference? Have you tried other vendors?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Tightly config, I believe you are just testing Vipre caused if you like it, purchase a valid license unless you have a budget.

P

Plexx

Thread author

well i was recommended from a friend to try out vipre. on both my dell and toshiba im running the trial version.

the secondary pc (toshiba) had avast but was getting some errors etc.
installing cis there is not a good idea.

avira i dunno, kept seeing false positives on reviews...

if vipre is indeed decent ill purchase the license and then move back to cis on my main laptop.

any other recommendations?

basically what im looking for is a decent security without much use of resources since the tosh laptop is a laptop between mid and low end (4 gb ram, amd 2 cores, etc)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

biozfear said:

what kind of errors

P

Plexx

Thread author

BoXX28 said:
Good and secure config right the biozfear. Have you upgraded to the latest version of VIPRE?

i had vipre on a disk with a couple of months trial, but i havent activated those yet. it was from a pc magazine 2 months ago.

P

Plexx

Thread author

umbrapolaris said:
biozfear said:

what kind of errors

IE errors, sometimes the webshield was not behaving well and constant fail of update on definitions despite i set to automatic. (had to reinstall avast twice). also noticed a rather high peak of memory usage even when system was on idle.. and the user also didnt like it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

It happens to me too one of error is fail on update since it was my first time to install it.

P

Plexx

Thread author

jamescv7 said:
It happens to me too one of error is fail on update since it was my first time to install it.

so it wasnt just me. so now im looking for a good alternative (dont mind getting 1 license for the laptop, since well i prefer CIS).

VIPRE so far aint being much of a pain but still playing around with the settings.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Are looking for a paid Internet Security or a free alternative?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

try to install CIS and see. CIS dont have a webshield so some of those errors will normally not occur. for the high memory usage, you can find what is responsible by checking the task manager .

P

Plexx

Thread author

McLovin said:
Are looking for a paid Internet Security or a free alternative?

well free would be a good way to start, if anything a paid alternative but only for one pc that i would get it for)

umbrapolaris said:
try to install CIS and see. CIS dont have a webshield so some of those errors will normally not occur. for the high memory usage, you can find what is responsible by checking the task manager .

CIS i use it on my main laptop. thing is the secondary laptop is not used by me, so CIS aint that friendly as i tried already and i had to explain some popups etc etc.
avast was using rather some high memory for some no apparent reason and was on idle...
it all started when it failed to update for several times but perhaps was a faulty instalation.... if i cant find any free/paid alternatives that are decent and user friendly then i guess ill just stick to avast... lets hope

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

i tried Vipre and i can say it is a very very good suite, (btw i use Vipre mobile for my android phone :D ), i just dont like their GUI so much.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
i tried Vipre and i can say it is a very very good suite, (btw i use Vipre mobile for my android phone :D ), i just dont like their GUI so much.

Great I can check it out as well for my Android.

P

Plexx

Thread author

so far vipre has been ok but i guess ill give some tests on the Virtual machine to see how it performs.

so far a few pop ups appeared but nothing major... trying to set this as user friendly as possible might take a while....

i got avira panda cloud and some others on the list.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

go to the review section of the forum, you will found videos, and written reviews for almost all AV and suites.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

McLovin said:

RT AV, SD scan, antispam, app control, antitheft (locate, wipe, lock) , monitor, backup/restore datas (apps, contacts, etc...) :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
McLovin said:

RT AV, SD scan, antispam, app control, antitheft (locate, wipe, lock) , monitor, backup/restore datas (apps, contacts, etc...) :D

Okay. Will look into it. Is it free?

biozfear if you are looking for a free AV and want a full internet security suite then Comodo Internet Security is the one to pick.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.