Biozfear's secondary config 2013 Edition

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config (updated 7/11/11)

In the corporate world its easier and more effective to lock down each user. If a user does not have rights then either does a virus. People go paranoia city and load up there pc with so much security its absurd. Since the pc is not that powerful then that is all the more reason to keep it light. Adding layer upon layer upon layer does not mean you be better protected. KIS is a very strong suite and the main purpose of any suite is to stand on its own. If you do not have enough confidence in the suite you are using then its time to look elsewhere. A light antivirus and something like RollBack is much lighter and more effective solution. These config threads are a means of feed back and advice. If you do not want feed back or advice then do not bother posting your config. Sharing idea's is what a forum is about. Paranoia is never a way too protect a pc.

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011

Remove DNS Jumper, Norton changed the DNS IP !

https://dns.norton.com/dnsweb/homePage.do

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

biozfear said:
Maximus said:
CIS is only as good as the user. Do not be fooled just cause it gives you tons of pop ups.

that would apply to any av/suite...

No it would not apply to any suite. Both NIS and KIS do not involve no where near the user input as CIS requires. NIS is actually completely silent. NIS's main focus is main stream users as well as KIS. CIS's is geared more towards advanced users.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

@Maximus You didn't tried CIS 5.8 right? A regular user who is just browsing the internet will never manage to see an alert from CIS........in fact it's very hard to find a program that will trigger a D+ alert....

@biozfear Are you using KIS in Interactive Mode?

P

Plexx

Thread author

Maximus said:
In the corporate world its easier and more effective to lock down each user. If a user does not have rights then either does a virus. People go paranoia city and load up there pc with so much security its absurd. Since the pc is not that powerful then that is all the more reason to keep it light. Adding layer upon layer upon layer does not mean you be better protected. KIS is a very strong suite and the main purpose of any suite is to stand on its own. If you do not have enough confidence in the suite you are using then its time to look elsewhere. A light antivirus and something like RollBack is much lighter and more effective solution. These config threads are a means of feed back and advice. If you do not want feed back or advice then do not bother posting your config. Sharing idea's is what a forum is about. Paranoia is never a way too protect a pc.

again, depending on the user some security wont harm. just because i said it was nothing compared to my main laptop doesnt mean that it cant run decent applications. and yes KIS does appear heavier but remember that prior to that second config had Avast and my main config is running CIS.

i never said your advice and feedback was never welcome. yet i also have the freedom to disagree regardless, since theres no right or wrong.
GabiCRX said:
Remove DNS Jumper, Norton changed the DNS IP !

https://dns.norton.com/dnsweb/homePage.do
Thanks for the heads up Gabi. I have now changed it manually for Norton DNS Option b from their site.

Jack said:
@Maximus You didn't tried CIS 5.8 right? A regular user who is just browsing the internet will never manage to see an alert from CIS........in fact it's very hard to find a program that will trigger a D+ alert....

Jack i had it first on Interactive mode, then swapped to automatic. still playing around with it. the user can handle some popups etc tho.

as for the post for maxi about CIS5.8, just would like to add that when I was just browsing i could say i never saw any alert from d+, apart from the popup on the firewall first time i launched the browser (that on second config laptop)

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Jack said:

Been there done that. Still the same old CIS. Nothing has changed since 3.0. Asked my about Logitech.Then I was stacking up alerts in my log for Logitech.exe accessing memory. Luckily know how to fix it. Logitech has been around longer then Comodo. I had Logitech issues 3 years ago with Comodo and I still do. This was on my gaming rig but now also on my laptop. Nothing has changed in CIS. Its still is not user friendly and there are too many tabs to thumb through. Sorry but I refuse to be nagged by my security. CIS is actually not that effective. D+_ sets off alerts for anything it does not know.Legit or not. That isn't security. Thats just a guessing game. Dont know what it is..............Heck throw off an alert. Thats the Comodo way. If NIS and KIS can do it then so can Comodo.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Defense + is actually quite good.

KISyes is also a good suite.

NIS? personally stay away from it but thats my opinion

one thing about CIS: Defense+ did show alerts on my game for memory access and pop ups appeared the first time I ran. Added to the list of exception (somewhere in Defense + settings and despite still showing on the logs, it doesn't pop up anything...

CIS not being user friendly? perhaps is not that user friendly but you gonna tell me that Norton is? and KIS user friendly? you do know the KIS possible customizations right?

well some of the users ive seen that had NIS by default were actually complaining about the not being so user friendly... not to mention the main problem of slow full scan...

also comparing 2 paid IS with a free CIS is just comparing apples with oranges....

Even avast is user friendly and if u want it can also be not so user friendly.

Thats all I got to say

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

NIS has always been one of the top suites available. Many years ago it was a hog but not any more. Stop looking CIS threw your eyes and think about the average user.The average home user could not use CIS without some instructions. The fact that D+ showed me an alert for a Logitech component is not called security. Its called an annoyance. CIS may be user friendly to you but install it on a newbies machine and they will flip.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Maximus said:
NIS has always been one of the top suites available. Many years ago it was a hog but not any more. Stop looking CIS threw your eyes and think about the average user.The average home user could not use CIS without some instructions. The fact that D+ showed me an alert for a Logitech component is not called security. Its called an annoyance. CIS may be user friendly to you but install it on a newbies machine and they will flip.

Memory serves me right Kaspersky from what I have seen has been slightly more superior. Symantec has problems. Before yes it was a resource hog, then KIS11 took its place while NIS11 was ok, but then all changed again on 2012 versions.

CIS by default ain't much of a problem for an average user is it now? just because you don't particularly like CIS doesn't mean is not good. Not to mention it is free. I use it mainly for D+ and Firewall, despite not having any problem in paying for a security suite.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011

Maximus said:

Agree. I've been using CIS for a few weeks now and have gotten some D+ alerts when installing drivers (Integral USB sticks). If a novice saw that they wouldn't have a clue as the alert is non specific and contains lots of jargon. It's quite annoying I must admit. Although it's not a regular occurrence so I can live with it.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Incorrect biozfear.95% of the time Symantec has always had a better detection rate then Kaspersky. I have been in the field for over 10 years now. Again you are incorrect biozfear. I have installed CIS 5.8 on customer's pc who are looking for a free suite and within 24 hours they are calling me with questions on how to answer the alerts. Most just want it uninstalled. If CIS was so great then why don't most home users know about it? Why isn't it preinstalled on new pc's? CIS is a geeks suite. I myself would use it but I enjoy my laptop without answering a million pop ups a week. If free is the only appealing feature then its best to obtain more money. Just cause something is free does not necessarily mean its better.Just look at MSE. CIS is a very good suite in the hands of a geek. But then again is D+ actually doing its job just cause it tells you that abc.exe is trying to access memory when abc.exe is a legit process? Is that really security? Heck Panda Cloud Free is a stand alone free, no frills antivirus but yet its detection rate is 99.3%. It also does this with NO user interaction needed.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

@Tomo172 I doubt a a newbie will ever start installing drivers and this procedure is done so rarely that it shouldn't be a problem for the every day user.....
Did D+ alerted you when performing regular tasks or installing know products?
@Maximus What programs are your customers trying to install exactly?

P

Plexx

Thread author

Maximus said:
Incorrect biozfear.95% of the time Symantec has always had a better detection rate then Kaspersky. I have been in the field for over 10 years now. Again you are incorrect biozfear. I have installed CIS 5.8 on customer's pc who are looking for a free suite and within 24 hours they are calling me with questions on how to answer the alerts. Most just want it uninstalled. If CIS was so great then why don't most home users know about it? Why isn't it preinstalled on new pc's? CIS is a geeks suite. I myself would use it but I enjoy my laptop without answering a million pop ups a week. If free is the only appealing feature then its best to obtain more money. Just cause something is free does not necessarily mean its better.Just look at MSE. CIS is a very good suite in the hands of a geek. But then again is D+ actually doing its job just cause it tells you that abc.exe is trying to access memory when abc.exe is a legit process? Is that really security? Heck Panda Cloud Free is a stand alone free, no frills antivirus but yet its detection rate is 99.3%. It also does this with NO user interaction needed.

ok to make my point, I'll just say this: if NIS was that good, then get Dell and Toshiba for example to ship it with them and not McAfee. Most users when installing free antivirus actually install Avast or Avira...

I welcome you to use my laptop for 24 hours with a preinstalled non configured CIS 5.8 and tell me how many pop ups you will be getting within 24hours of using it?

Oh yeah and lets not forget that some customers do buy Laptops and PCs with preinstalled AV/IS and they don't activate it or change something such as disable auto update... then next thing you have is the user calling the repair shop. So here are we going to blame the user friendly AV/IS or their detection rate? guess not...

CIS strong point is not the AV, you should know that by now if you have been in the field for 10 years...

anyways, it is pointless going head on with you just to prove a point.

I rest my case

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Lol.......................biozfear please get your facts straight before replying. Companies go with who ever gives them the better deal. Dell was using Symantec last year and still is.Some are shipped with McAfee. HP is shipped with Symantec and some are shipped with McAfee.It all depends who gave them the better deal. It goes back and forth. Any company looks to save money. We had all Dell computers. Then HP gave us better deals and now IBM gave us even better deals. Lol again. You have already had CIS installed for sometime on your laptop so any alert has been suppressed or learned. I installed CIS 5.8 and within 10 minutes I had 5 pop ups. An hour later I was uninstalling it. You have no case to rest. Preinstalled is preinstalled.An activation pop up is presented. If you ignore it then that becomes your problem.

Jack.................I do not have to install anything nor did I. Either did my customers.I installed CIS 5.8 and walked away. 24 hours later I am getting a call about this accessing that and this wanting internet access.They were overwhelmed. Comodo does not have a while list in my eyes. With the security enhancements in Windows 7 64 bit the need for a 3rd party firewall and a HIPS is no longer needed. The fact remains and always has been. NIS is install it and forget it while CIS is install it and learn it or be nagged by it.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Maximus said:
Jack.................I do not have to install anything nor did I. Either did my customers.I installed CIS 5.8 and walked away. 24 hours later I am getting a call about this accessing that and this wanting internet access.They were overwhelmed. Comodo does not have a while list in my eyes. With the security enhancements in Windows 7 64 bit the need for a 3rd party firewall and a HIPS is no longer needed.

With the addition of the auto-sandbox feature COMODO has made some huge steps in reducing the alerts. I had CIS installed and I've only received 1 firewall alert at the first computer startup then I've opened 20 commonly used programs and didn't see any alert, I even tried to run some malware but the auto sandbox stepped and I still didn't see any alert from D+....... CIS for a regular user is a very decent security app.

biozfear said:
anyways, it is pointless going head on with you just to prove a point.

I rest my case
Count me also in :D

P

Plexx

Thread author

Maximus said:
Lol.......................biozfear please get your facts straight before replying. Companies go with who ever gives them the better deal. Dell was using Symantec last year and still is.Some are shipped with McAfee. HP is shipped with Symantec and some are shipped with McAfee.It all depends who gave them the better deal. It goes back and forth. Any company looks to save money. We had all Dell computers. Then HP gave us better deals and now IBM gave us even better deals. Lol again. You have already had CIS installed for sometime on your laptop so any alert has been suppressed or learned. I installed CIS 5.8 and within 10 minutes I had 5 pop ups. An hour later I was uninstalling it. You have no case to rest. Preinstalled is preinstalled.An activation pop up is presented. If you ignore it then that becomes your problem.

Jack.................I do not have to install anything nor did I. Either did my customers.I installed CIS 5.8 and walked away. 24 hours later I am getting a call about this accessing that and this wanting internet access.They were overwhelmed. Comodo does not have a while list in my eyes. With the security enhancements in Windows 7 64 bit the need for a 3rd party firewall and a HIPS is no longer needed. The fact remains and always has been. NIS is install it and forget it while CIS is install it and learn it or be nagged by it.

I believe you do know how to read right?
I said "I welcome you to use my laptop for 24 hours with a preinstalled non configured CIS 5.8 and tell me how many pop ups you will be getting within 24hours of using it?"

This means nothing has been configured.

One thing that I find it funny: you had CIS installed for 10 mins and then uninstalled after an hour right? how often did you use the applications again within that space of 1 hour? oh wait, since your such a power user who knows best, 20 mins of using the application would be enough to just say CIS rather normal than anything right?

And since NIS for you is so GOOD, explain to me one thing... why you are using Panda on your system? Oh yeah forgot, you know what your doing...

Anyways, it is pointless going on a discussion with you. I will just request one thing: please stay on topic in regards to the config and don't just get sidetracked nor try to impose your reasons for one thing being the best etc... do it like the other users have done like Boxx, Heffed, Jack etc. If you can't do this, then just leave.

Regards,

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Ok explain why Comodo does not even know what Logitech is? Explain why a completely legit program sets off an alert in its most recent version as it did 3 years ago? CIS is a geeks's suite period. It cannot be trusted in the hands of the average home pc user. But for geeks like us it is fine. Stopping malware by an autosandbox is not defined as a detection. That is Comodo's way of dealing with the unknown. Now when CAV detects something thats a good thing. Again I will say that Panda Cloud Free has a superior detection rate then CIS all day long and it does this with no HIPS or means of a sandbox.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

I am not running NIS cause I do not believe in paying for security. But I was a long time user of NIS and KIS. My opinion about CIS is not hatred but CIS users themselves who think its the best suite around cause its free. Comodo has a way of brain washing its users. Preinstalled is preinstalled. Until your speaking about a fresh OS install and NO install of CIS then that's different. Any thing other then that is worthless. Security starts to learn the second its done being installed. This is a config thread to obtain feedback from users. If you do not want feedback then do not bother posting. Any one who posts a config thread is opening themselves up to criticism.

FYI...................Why am I using Panda Cloud Pro and not the free edition? I was using the free version but a very good friend of mine gave me a license for the pro edition. Hence the use of it.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Maximus said:
Edited for sake of the forum.

thanks, appreciate it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.