Biozfear's secondary config 2013 Edition

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config (updated 17/11/11))

Hopefully the final update on this config.

Applications and add-ons removed:
*WOT as per request by the user;
*NIS 2012 trial version.
*Applications bundled by Toshiba (as suggested by Maximus on another post)

Applications and add-ons added:
*Advance System Care 5 Free;
*Ghostery for Firefox;
*Panda Cloud AV Free (as suggested by Maximus - Thanks dude).

Note: Panda Cloud was actually added 2 days ago but I wanted to let the user use the laptop and no complaints. Also it is to note I am quite happy with the resources used.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Ok got a license of Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 (6 months license). I checked the BD section of the forum and saw some initial reports of issues, though the last post is dated October.

As anyone have any positive or negative reviews on this?

If it is not worth it I will just give it to my colleague at work.

Thanks for the help.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Wow..............You change your security like I change my underwear. Daily. Lol

P

Plexx

Thread author

Maximus said:
Wow..............You change your security like I change my underwear. Daily. Lol

No I still have Panda installed and I am quite happy with it. The Bitdefender came with the PC Advisor magazine so I was just wondering any pros and cons for it since its a 6 month full version license.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

BitDefender is good but very taxing on virtually any system. Its a lot like Kaspersky. Stick with what you got. No reason to change,change and change.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Then I will give the disc to my colleague.
Only thing I'll keep is the Burning Studio Elements and Diskeeper professional 2011 (3 months license) and give him the Bitdefender and Bullguard Internet security (both 6 months license).

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Panda CAV + Windows Firewall is my "beginners"-oriented solution. Simple, light, no popups and effective.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
Panda CAV + Windows Firewall is my "beginners"-oriented solution. Simple, light, no popups and effective.

Not just for beginners. Its an easy and very effective means of protection without all the bloat.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

So you've dropped two powerful suites like VIPRE and COMODO for Panda Cloud Av Free??......

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Jack said:
So you've dropped two powerful suites like VIPRE and COMODO for Panda Cloud Av Free??......

Why yes he has and thanking me all the way. Vipre is heavy and costly. Comodo is good but naggy. Its called freedom of choice.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Maximus said:
Not just for beginners. Its an easy and very effective means of protection without all the bloat.

I meant i install this solution on beginner's computer, of course if it is good for beginners it is good for advanced users too.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Maximus said:
Jack said:

Why yes he has and thanking me all the way. Vipre is heavy and costly. Comodo is good but naggy. Its called freedom of choice.

You've manage to convince a member to actually decrease his level of security ....And you have no idea what you are saying when talking about COMODO....Wouldn't Avast Free be a better option than Panda Cloud Free?

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Take away D+ and CIS is worthless. Any program can protect a user if it nags you about everything in site. Care to elaborate how switching to Panda Cloud decreased his level of security? And DO NOT give the latest retrospective test as an example. You can have the best security in the world but unless you know how to use it then its meaningless.

FYI.............Several Wilders members use Panda Cloud.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Maximus said:
I know more about Comodo then anyone in here so don't even go there. Take away D+ and CIS is worthless.

CIS is D+ and a Firewall originally, plus an AV for convenience. It is like you said Panda Cloud without the cloud is worthless. A product is a whole, don't say this without that is useless. If you have said, Comodo AV alone is average, i will agree with you.

FYI.............Several Wilders members use Panda Cloud.

means nothing to me...

P

Plexx

Thread author

I guess I should clarify some points here.

The second config is used by my partner for casual browsing etc.

Previously I had Avast but it caused some problems and I was asked to find an alternative.

I tried Viper trial (not the latest version) and it was fine and all but then I got told that the PC was running slow while browsing the Internet.

Then I tried KIS 2012. It was ok but I noticed a bit heavy.

So then I swapped to NIS 2012 trial. No complaints from the user apart from the updates. I only have a 1mb connection...

I tried Panda with Windows Firewall and no complaints so far.

If anyone would have another alternative that is light on the system, then feel free to tell me and I would try.

As for CIS, I use it on my own laptop and config :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Keep this config if he don't have any complaints.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Partner = my other half, so she :)

Well I am always open for suggestions :)

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config (updated 06/12/11))

Update:
Removed:
*O&O Defrag Professional 15.0;
*Panda Cloud AV free;
*Panda Toolbar;

Added:
*Avast 6 free + Comodo Firewall combo;
*Panda URL Filter;
*Auslogics Disk Defrag.

This should be the final setup.

Reason to change AV:
PC got infected with 2 malwares that bypassed Panda Cloud AV for some reason.

Scanned the same files in VT and were detected by most engines. Scanned with Avast and Comodo AV on VMWARE and it was detected. Therefore, made some tweaks on Avast to work along with Comodo Firewall and it is all set up so far.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config (updated 06/12/11))

solid config ,biozfear.

I'm NOT shock if 2 malwares that bypass Panda Cloud AV :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.