Biozfear's secondary config 2013 Edition

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config (updated 7/11/11)

Ok Maximus thank you for sharing your opinion with us.......I guess there are people who like CIS and people who don't. :shy:
biozfear , CIS is a free suite so feel free to download it and give it a run...If you'll like it , you can keep it .......... if not it's really easy to uninstall it.

Here you can find a guide on how to tweak KIS 2012: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-setup-Kaspersky-Internet-Security-2012-for-Maximum-Protection

P

Plexx

Thread author

thanks jack. that post for KIS is handy. making some changes on the laptop already. as for CIS, I have it on my main config as I went back after testing the VIPRE + Comodo combo :)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

I just love all of these arguments but remember to keep it low guys. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

BoXX28 said:
I just love all of these arguments but remember to keep it low guys. :)

me too, but there is a difference between giving interesting valuable feedbacks and telling to everyone their config is badly done because they use this or that in that way or that.

for information, CIS main target is "Prevention" not "Detection" (even if they try to improve it, and they are on the way to succeed).

more people like CIS so let them use it and learn how to use it. when i installed security apps in a customer computer, i check their computer knowledge first then install the one that fit to them.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

There's a lot of differences in the way that CIS, NIS and KIS protects the user so I do think that comparing them directly won't make a difference.

P

Plexx

Thread author

so far using KIS though a bit heavier than VIPRE so far is ok. did notice full scan did take some time. Kaspersky is known for slow scans like Norton by any chance?

can't help but to think something ain't right here...

P

Plexx

Thread author

out of curiosity, any chance i could perhaps run Kaspersky AV + comodo firewall and defense+ or it would either be too much or not work at all?

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

KAV has a HIPS. Just run CIS. KAV along with Windows 7 firewall is fine. But KAV is no lighter then KIS. You could how ever run KAV with Comodo firewall and D+ disabled.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Well any AV can work well with Comodo Firewall. As long some features may not conflict at all since the AV develop with new features.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Maximus said:
KAV has a HIPS. Just run CIS. KAV along with Windows 7 firewall is fine. But KAV is no lighter then KIS. You could how ever run KAV with Comodo firewall and D+ disabled.

jamescv7 said:
Well any AV can work well with Comodo Firewall. As long some features may not conflict at all since the AV develop with new features.

thanks guys.

Ill give KAV with comodo firewall while with d+ disabled to see and test run for a bit on my main config. For the Secundary config ill try out KAV + windows firewall.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config (updated 10/11/11)

KAV was ok but I have now swapped to Bitdefender free. Next in line would be Panda Cloud...

time to fire up the VMWare.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

The Free Edition of BitDefender is only an On-Demand Scanner.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

BoXX28 said:
The Free Edition of BitDefender is only an On-Demand Scanner.

I told him that the other day but I guess he didn't listen so now he has no real time protection. Says right om the BitDenfender site that its "on demand scanning".

P

Plexx

Thread author

I did see that Maximus said it was a on demand scanner only, thats why im testing on vmware. panda cloud I'm testing on my main laptop and I am actually liking so far so once all tests are done (I got a kid so I can't dedicate too much time in one go), I will then update the config on the host machine :)

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

The one great thing about Panda Cloud is that there is never any downloaded updates needed. It literally just sits there. You never have to worry if your av updated or the servers are down. As far as I know there has yet to be problem syncing to the cloud.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

@Maximus, The Free Edition of Panda Cloud AV is sufficient enough right?

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Free is perfectly fine. The Pro adds 2 more features which consist of a Behavioral analysis and Automatic USB vaccination. A side my side comparison can be seen by clicking here.

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/basicProtection/

P

Plexx

Thread author

Got to say so far so good with the panda tests.
As for firewall for the 2nd config I will probably leave the default win7 one. I am behind a router anyway so it shouldn't be much of a problem. One thing I do like quite a lot is the URL filter:)

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Windows 7 firewall is just fine. Is Panda Cloud the best? Nothing is the best but Panda Cloud is so simple and effective its disgusting. No bells or whistles. It just works. Panda is proof that you do not need to add tons of features into your av to make it more effective then others.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config (updated 13/11/11)

Thanks for the help so far Maximus.

Update:
Swapped to NIS 2012 30 days trial to test run on usual tasks for a few days to see how the user will find it, while I am testing NIS on VMWARE on my main laptop.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.