Biozfear's secondary config 2013 Edition

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config

@mclovin: he is not the user of this config so he dont want CIS.

yes Vipre mobile is free (for the moment ) because it is a beta.

@biozfear: Shadow defender and sandboxie can work together

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
@mclovin: he is not the user of this config so he dont want CIS.

yes Vipre mobile is free (for the moment ) because it is a beta.

@biozfear: Shadow defender and sandboxie can work together

Giving him options?

P

Plexx

Thread author

@everyone:
thanks alot for the replies and assistance.

will give SD a try but for now, testing Bitdefender. gotta say i dont like it... something about it tells me that i will have to remove it...
tested avira and wasnt impressed at all.
reinstalled VIPRE but tempted to use the VIPRE + Comodo firewall combo. Unsure if i should use CIS's defense +.

also tempted to download 2012 since the version i got is not the latest one.

Perhaps VIPRE antivirus + Comodo firewall and defense+ set properly which wouldnt require much user interaction should be ok....

looking at prices on VIPRE and it aint that bad.... Kaspersky does seem more expensive

so to finalize i either go full VIPRE internet security or VIPRE AV + CIS firewall/defense + or just standalone KIS for this config (of course ill set it up all and just forget about it unless it requires my attention)

hard choice.
are the licenses for KIS and VIPRE yearly and able to use on multiple pcs?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

They have offers on how many PCs and years you want to use the software, I'd say that you stick to VIPRE IS or Kaspersky IS rather than using two different software.

P

Plexx

Thread author

unfortunately while testing and running latest VIPRE av, pc crashed twice (after a reinstall) while doing a full system scan, and after reboot, it sure was slowed down a bit...

so i removed and replaced with the updated config...

lets see for a couple of days now.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
RE: biozfear's secondary laptop config (updated 7/11/11)

Well, I do hope that Kaspersky Internet Security won't disappoint you this time. :D

P

Plexx

Thread author

BoXX28 said:
Well, I do hope that Kaspersky Internet Security won't disappoint you this time. :D

well no crashes and it is quite configurable... yet.. my impression or its a bit "heavy"?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

KIS is known to be a "bit" heavy.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Way too much security especially since you have an imaging program. No need for Sandboxie. You spent money on KIS so that is all you need in real time. If by chance you are infected then just mount up an image and your set. Thats the beauty of a system image.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011

a little heavy, but as long as the high detection rate, it does not matter, umbra.

BUT, I think, I prefer CIS than KIS.
hehe. :p
by the way, I am not a CIS fanboys.
but, regarding CIS is good or not, I know it's based on the my tests, and many reviewers have good responses to CIS.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

CIS is only as good as the user. Do not be fooled just cause it gives you tons of pop ups.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011

yes, I know it.
let's see, what will be added ,or improved in CIS v6

I am impatient and curious. :p

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

CIS is CIS is CIS. It will never change but this is getting off topic so lets not trash the topic at hand which is biozfear's secondary laptop config. Thanks.

P

Plexx

Thread author

yep indeed noticed KIS a bit heavy. finished up the custom settings and now gonna give a couple days of try since i dont use the laptop. lets see whats going to happen. if all goes good then ill invest on it, if not, ill have to find another combo.

will keep you updated

@maximus: one thing in case you havent seen before. im not the user of this config. this config is on a laptop used in the household and the knowledge aint as advanced as me, so some security is crucial despite having the imaging software (do note that im the one running all applications when it comes to system rescue/system cleaning etc).

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Doesn't matter if its not your main pc or not. I would never set any customer up with such a paranoia system. Having the users of this laptop under an LUA and you being the Admin is more effective and easier.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Maximus said:
Doesn't matter if its not your main pc or not. I would never set any customer up with such a paranoia system. Having the users of this laptop under an LUA and you being the Admin is more effective and easier.

that is not false. but we dont know what the second user want to do with his laptop.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

But 90% of daily pc use does not involve Admin rights. We have ever user,which is 500+ employees under an LUA.The company does just fine.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

after reading this

biozfear said:
A bit to know about this laptop. This is a secondary laptop used at home but not by me. main purposes is to surf the web, facebook, live messenger and perhaps a couple of downloads here and there.

Manual scans, backups and configurations are done by me. Apart from that I dont really touch the laptop.

then i agree with this

Maximus said:
But 90% of daily pc use does not involve Admin rights.

so i agree more with this

Maximus said:
I would never set any customer up with such a paranoia system. Having the users of this laptop under an LUA and you being the Admin is more effective and easier.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Maximus said:

im sorry to disagree but thats ur own opinion and everyone has a different way of setting things up, be a system admin, a intermediate knowledge user or even a beginner... the fact that the laptop is in the house and it is used for specific purposes, as long as i set the config correctly there shouldnt be any need for the user for interaction and i am the one who runs specific applications for cleanup, scans etc, so in my eyes, for the second laptop there is no need for Lua.

Maximus said:
But 90% of daily pc use does not involve Admin rights. We have ever user,which is 500+ employees under an LUA.The company does just fine.
again i dont justify LUA need for the second config. now the purposes of the laptop was already quoted by umbra.

as i said, in case i need to run backups, do some scans etc etc, i will be able to do without a prob.
KIS is still on trial btw as im testing on system impact. laptop is no where near as powerful as the one on my main config so thats why im trying to find a user friendly config/suite.

each one of us has different ways of setting up the system for daily use. tho i respect your opinion on Lua, doesnt mean that everyone should be using lua just because 90% of daily tasks envolve non-admin rights.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Maximus said:
CIS is only as good as the user. Do not be fooled just cause it gives you tons of pop ups.

That would apply to any av/suite...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.