Bitdefender 2020 Released

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I see. That's good enough. In general I think it's not really a CPU/IO heavy AV something like Windows Defender which suffers from high CPU usage during startup of applications and while doing moderate to heavy tasks. But anyway, the profile concept of Bitdefender sounds nice. Do you keep it turned on? (oops! that's almost a naughty sentence, lol).
:LOL: I do keep it turned on. But I disable it from changing my power profiles. I don’t like the ability messing with stuff like that.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I think BD is smart to make things as automatic as possible, along with the streamlined settings and really nice GUI. Overall fantastic user-friendliness.(y)

Kaspersky is for you hardcore tweakers 💉!:LOL:
After tweaking ESET all afternoon and trying to find where M$ moved the dang Office exes. I think more automated exploit protection is preferable to HIPS now...Stupid Windows Apps folder is such a pain.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I think BD is smart to make things as automatic as possible, along with the streamlined settings and really nice GUI. Overall fantastic user-friendliness.(y)

That's actually my dilemma when I renew licenses next year... BD's automation is great in my kids and father-in-law computers... but I'm a tweaker and it drives me crazy when I use on my own computers :)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
:LOL: I do keep it turned on. But I disable it from changing my power profiles. I don’t like the ability messing with stuff like that.
Ow ok. Hmm messing with power profiles might decrease performance instead of increasing.

Right. Having the ability to tweak is nice but automated solutions are better fit for almost everybody.

After tweaking ESET all afternoon and trying to find where M$ moved the dang Office exes. I think more automated exploit protection is preferable to HIPS now...Stupid Windows Apps folder is such a pain.
Tweaking can be exhausting and time wasting sometimes so I agree with that. Btw, if you want to find stuff easily then the app "Everything" is your friend.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
View attachment 242029They added this notification recently, right? Last time I tried it didn't have it. Liked it.

Personally I hate it, it is very annoying to have this message everytime the profile is changed, it was enough for me to simple turn off the entirely feature in my machine.

For me it is a marketing thing and a big no no for usability (automatic profile worked just fine without this stupid message).

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Open Microsoft Word, wait some seconds and you will get this message, run some game and boom; it is annoying as hell.
I’ve done both these things, and nothing has happened. Wonder if I missed an update...or maybe it’s a rolling update.

Sounds really annoying, and kind of defeats the purpose of game mode.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@Nightwalker Okay I finally got it to happen with word open, but it isn’t constant just one pop up. It did just pull an update...while playing an online game...so what’s the point of that. But I didn’t get a pop up for any games tonight. Sounds like an attempt at a “feature” that went sideways on them.

Reactions: Protomartyr

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Open Microsoft Word, wait some seconds and you will get this message, run some game and boom; it is annoying as hell.
OK, after a few days, it's really annoying. 🤣

But I am really enjoying Bitdefender, it is simple, has good protection and I don't feel kind of bad sharing data like Kaspersky.

I read their privacy policy and it's much easier and it seems to share less data than Kaspersky, and they delete it after 5 years. It's under EU GDPR, and it's the same for Brazil, Kaspersky with countries out of EU it collects more data, I don't like that.

Besides that, I am really feeling secure with other thing than Kaspersky, which is rare. Let's see until my extended trial expires.

At least on my laptop, Bitdefender uses less CPU than Kaspersky and that makes my battery life bigger, which is good too.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
OK, after a few days, it's really annoying. 🤣

But I am really enjoying Bitdefender, it is simple, has good protection and I don't feel kind of bad sharing data like Kaspersky.

I read their privacy policy and it's much easier and it seems to share less data than Kaspersky, and they delete it after 5 years. It's under EU GDPR, and it's the same for Brazil, Kaspersky with countries out of EU it collects more data, I don't like that.

Besides that, I am really feeling secure with other thing than Kaspersky, which is rare. Let's see until my extended trial expires.

At least on my laptop, Bitdefender uses less CPU than Kaspersky and that makes my battery life bigger, which is good too.
I’m going to give it a little time for them to fix. I don’t use office on my gaming machine much, and I haven’t had it pop up during games. If it knocks me out of a game that’ll be an instant uninstall. I did notice with the 2004 update that ESET actually benchmarks a touch higher in games. Like 1%, which is within a margin of error, but it’s consistent over multiple retests.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
YES! When I installed Eset I've been half of a day tweaking to protected and stay the way I like it, all because is the lightest AV. But meh, I don't like that manual HIPS thing, even with learning mode.

Can be nice on the first days, but when you have to work, do your stuff on the Pc and encounter some issues is a pain.

I see you guys here doing a lot of manual stuff hardening Windows and deactivating things, I just think: My God, wish I have that patience.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I see you guys here doing a lot of manual stuff hardening Windows and deactivating things, I just think: My God, wish I have that patience.
Yeah I don't mess with much hardening. HIPS is enough work, plus every time I harden Windows something breaks. I use OSArmor if I don't have ESET on the system, but even messing with ESET HIPS is losing it's fun after multiple installs to test. We'll see if it continues to be maintained.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yeah I don't mess with much hardening. HIPS is enough work, plus every time I harden Windows something breaks. I use OSArmor if I don't have ESET on the system, but even messing with ESET HIPS is losing it's fun after multiple installs to test. We'll see if it continues to be maintained.
ESET's config can be exported though. So, no need to create rules every time after installation. But I'm also getting tired of hardening system. I used Firewall in interactive mode till last month but gave up for now as I'm preferring simple setups nowadays.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
ESET's config can be exported though. So, no need to create rules every time after installation. But I'm also getting tired of hardening system. I used Firewall in interactive mode till last month but gave up for now as I'm preferring simple setups nowadays.
True, but silly me used the windows store to get Microsoft 365 instead of the website, breaking all my child proccess office rules. Also, silly me put the Settings files in my onedrive documents and when it synced on reimage I lost the remade rules. :ROFLMAO: Really it's me who's broken, not ESET. ESET is mostly fine at default, maybe a couple HIPS rules for common exploits and you're good. But I'll stick with BD for a bit longer. If it gives me trouble it uninstalls surprisingly cleanly, and I have an ESET license with open devices waiting.(y)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
True, but silly me used the windows store to get Microsoft 365 instead of the website, breaking all my child proccess office rules. Also, silly me put the Settings files in my onedrive documents and when it synced on reimage I lost the remade rules. :ROFLMAO: Really it's me who's broken, not ESET. ESET is mostly fine at default, maybe a couple HIPS rules for common exploits and you're good. But I'll stick with BD for a bit longer. If it gives me trouble it uninstalls surprisingly cleanly, and I have an ESET license with open devices waiting.(y)
One thing I noticed about ESET and Bitdefender is that, ESET either requires a scan or to run an application at least once after the installation of ESET to make things fast. But BD on my machine is fast from get go. Doesn't require any scan or launching once to make things open faster.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.