Battle Bitdefender/Avira/F-Secure/Norton 360?

Denzo

Thread author
Feb 22, 2019
Want to get one but confused. I browse and go almost any site so want better protection. According to Av-comparitives and the other av test something, they rank avira, f-secure, k7 as 100% able to block any malware but I think that cant be true.

So which one should I go for, Bit defender or avira or f-secure or norton 360 deluxe?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Download a trial from Norton and see how it's working, my guess it's that you won't be disappointed.
Actually Norton doesn't offer a trial anymore. Unless you have an old installer which will install the old version and after multiple updates and restarting Norton will get you to the latest version. You'll have to update 8-9 times minimum at the moment with each update around 240 mb. It's not worth the trouble to go through all this for trying out the trial version in my opinion.

ChristianP

Level 1
May 1, 2020
Actually Norton doesn't offer a trial anymore. Unless you have an old installer which will install the old version and after multiple updates and restarting Norton will get you to the latest version. You'll have to update 8-9 times minimum at the moment with each update around 240 mb. It's not worth the trouble to go through all this for trying out the trial version in my opinion.
Ohh okay, i didn't knew.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I have a lot and when i say a lot i mean it, i have so much history with F-Secure Norton and Bitdefender.
since the most important factor is protection in your case i'd choose Bitdefender or F-Secure over K7 every day.
now between Bitdefender and F-Secure in my opinion is just preference. some people will indeed fall in love with the one and only Mikko Hypponen from F-Secure, you know it's a CyberSecurity and Privacy company which has been pretty aggressive in terms of saying No when it's needed to protect their customers' privacy. so F-Secure while is as great as Bitdefender in protection, it is paying a huge attention to the privacy which some might call it marketing but it is still a very great pros over the others.

however, Bitdefender is much bigger and has it's own perks like Microphone and Webcam protection which F-Secure is not offering or at least it used to not. also Bitdefender provide 24/7 support in chat/phone/email which F-Secure only offering "work days" chat/phone support.
this is for home users.

you are more than safe with Bitdefender or F-Secure especially if you're from EU. if you are an American then stop thinking, go with Norton or McAfee already.

Hope it helps

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
My basic setup is Windows Defender with Configure Defender. This is the one I update or upgrade (new version of Windows). After an update or an upgrade, I make an Image with Macrium Reflect Free. In the last 2 months, I installed Voodooshield and Appcheck . Both were good. But when I saw the 6 month F_Secure giveaway on MT, I just restored an image, updated my setup and made a new image. Then I installed F-Secure Safe.
And I like it very much: it is light on my computer, no complicated settings. Deepguard is not intrusive. Easy to protect your folders. For me, i'ts a keeper.
Note: I never ( almost) uninstall security stuff but restore an image to a basic setup.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
Want to get one but confused. I browse and go almost any site so want better protection. According to Av-comparitives and the other av test something, they rank avira, f-secure, k7 as 100% able to block any malware but I think that cant be true.

So which one should I go for, Bit defender or avira or f-secure or norton 360 deluxe?
No antivirus/antimalware solution is going to block any malware 100% of the time. If one could actually do that, the rest would go out of business. All of the ones you've mentioned are good. My advice is to try the free versions of a few and see if you like one of them. Decide from there.

Antus67

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019

I'm using Avira and very happy with its performance no problems and running smoothly

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
however, Bitdefender is much bigger and has it's own perks like Microphone and Webcam protection which F-Secure is not offering or at least it used to not. also Bitdefender provide 24/7 support in chat/phone/email which F-Secure only offering "work days" chat/phone support.
this is for home users.
There is no microphone or webcam protection on the F-Secure SAFE that I'm using on this PC.
F-Secure is a resource hog.
That is not my experience on a number of devices here that have been running SAFE for about 18 months.
Then I installed F-Secure Safe.
And I like it very much: it is light on my computer, no complicated settings. Deepguard is not intrusive. Easy to protect your folders. For me, i'ts a keeper.
I go along with your comment, F-Secure SAFE is light.

Task Manager - SAFE_08 August 2020_17h15m11s_002_.png

Edit - added task manager screenshot.

Last edited:

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
Avira or Norton from the ones you mentioned. K7 is pretty decent, but not as good as Avira and Norton. F-Secure is a resource hog. I don't know much about BitDefender, as I haven't used it in years.
I have been using Bitdefender for some years now. It is good. Never faced any issues while browsing. They have improved a lot since 2018. No noticeable lags using a decent PC.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Tried Avira Antivirus Pro for 3 days and all I can say is I am impressed. It is very very light; I've got the best battery time using Avira. Have not tested it against malware just ran Amtso tests to see how fast and responsive it is. Anyway, for those interested in Avira Antivirus Pro, you can get a 1 year subscription for 1 PC for $9.99 via Techradar special promo.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Tried Avira Antivirus Pro for 3 days and all I can say is I am impressed. It is very very light; I've got the best battery time using Avira. Have not tested it against malware just ran Amtso tests to see how fast and responsive it is. Anyway, for those interested in Avira Antivirus Pro, you can get a 1 year subscription for 1 PC for $9.99 via Techradar special promo.
Hi @The Cog in the Machine
Do you have the link for Avira Antivirus Pro, you can get a 1 year subscription for 1 PC for $9.99 via Techradar special promo ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.