Bitdefender End of Life Announcement for Safe Files, File Vault, Startup Optimizer, Disk Cleanup & Rescue CD

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
Announcing End of Life for multiple features in Bitdefender Consumer Line products

Bitdefender is committed to delivering innovative, effective security solutions to our customers. As platforms evolve, so do our products and technologies. As a result, Bitdefender continuously develops and shapes its solution set.

The resulting new solutions and feature modifications often lead to a need for discontinuing older software revisions as well as product features.

Bitdefender is announcing that several features in the consumer products for Windows will be discontinued as of July 2020. The following features will no longer be part of the product: Safe files, File Vault, Startup Optimizer, Disk Cleanup & Rescue CD.

What this means for existing customers

Customers with subscriptions to Bitdefender Total Security 2020, Bitdefender Internet Security 2020, Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2020 and older versions will still be able to use these features indeterminately, for as long as they plan to use their current versions. However, these features will no longer be officially supported past July 2021.

Customers who choose to update their products after July 2020 will no longer have these features available in the product interface.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/32563/

Apparently, Bitdefender is continuing to further overhaul, polish and optimize it's product line!
These news make me happy, as I feel it shows the direction they're taking goes hand in hand with my experience (and multiple other members here) lately in version 2020.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Bye bye bloats, won't miss you.

Agree, they shouldn't have removed it. Maybe casual users complained about it a lot since it's similar to WD's CFA in terms of blocking everything trusted or not.
They should just turn it off by default. It's like CFA, but much more user friendly in my experience. Oh well, my time with BD may have been short lived. That was one of my favorite features.

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
Who knows, maybe they're planning something else, or maybe they're thinking of relocating it under ransomware protection and giving it another name !
There is still no word regarding BD 2021 beta even though we are approaching june and usually it should be out by now. Who knows what they're planning.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
AVs like Kaspersky, ESET, etc don't like Protected folders feature and one of the reason is having it enabled users would think they're guaranteed to be safe but that may not be the case always. Maybe Bitdefender has the same mindset now and instead focusing on improving the behavior blocker like Kaspersky.

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
Yes, indeed, if I could describe it, the new BD feels "calmer" than ESET, I think it's comparable to ESET in terms of lightness.
I hope they keep on squashing bugs and improving the product.
I'm using it on my new gaming system and I'm happy with it.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
It's good to see them cutting some of the features down. I tested BTS2020 around the Feb-March timeframe and while it's much better than the last time I used BD, I still felt it was too "kitchen sink". Way too many features to configure, and days' worth of random nags about stuff that it thinks I should turn on or turn off.

It will be interesting to try their new ransomware protection scheme... I think some sort of Safe Files type feature is not a bad idea. Norton, after all, GREATLY improved their ransomware protection by adding Data Protector this year, which doesn't just protect specific folders but also keeps an eye out for mass modifications of specific file types (mostly documents).

While in an ideal world a behavior blocker can be equally vigilant of every location on the user's device, it's not a bad idea to designate a few extra protected folders, where additional precautions such as automatic backups are made.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Finally hope, they don't put this again. It's totally gargabe. They need to focus on their protection, not in Optimization of Computer.

Someone has opened the eyes! They need to focus on more layers of protection, Keyboard Protection and especially Adware / PUP! This is the big problem of BitDefender, they don't are very good detecting Adware / PUP that can lower their performance on tests.

Hope very soon they fix that, and they look for better Adware and PUP protection.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
A little upset they will be removing 'file vaults'. The only AVs I know that allow you to create encryption containers are: Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET, and GDATA. I've messed around with other free/paid encryption software such as Axcrypt, FolderLock, and VeraCrypt. None of them are as easy to use as the AV versions.

But that's me, because I use it. I know most people may not, and if Bitdefender wants to weed out unused features, that's definitely their right to do so.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've messed around with other free/paid encryption software such as Axcrypt, FolderLock, and VeraCrypt. None of them are as easy to use as the AV versions.
Have you tried 'Personal Vault' in Microsoft OneDrive?

Free version is limited to 3 documents. Included with Microsoft 365 for Consumers subscription.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.