Advice Request Bitdefender Web Protection good enough?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Are the Antivirus web protection feature good enough for blocking all sorts of malicious websites online? If I have an antivirus web protection on, do I need any other filtering solution to make sure all malicious websites are blocked, or is the antivirus web filtering good enough? The below post made me question this ->

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Are the Antivirus web protection feature good enough for blocking all sorts of malicious websites online? If I have an antivirus web protection on, do I need any other filtering solution to make sure all malicious websites are blocked, or is the antivirus web filtering good enough? The below post made me question this ->
Although, most other review sites like PCMag, says that Bitdefender web protection works outstandingly well.😶😵‍💫

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Although, most other review sites like PCMag, says that Bitdefender web protection works outstandingly well.😶😵‍💫
i am using Bitdefender and yes i think their web protection layer is good however i am adding another layer at DNS level using Adguard DNS which integrated in ADguard App
I think DNS level will be first level before going to https level so if anything malicious could be blocked on DNS Level it would be better as protection prospective

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
i am using Bitdefender and yes i think their web protection layer is good however i am adding another layer at DNS level using Adguard DNS which integrated in ADguard App
I think DNS level will be first level before going to https level so if anything malicious could be blocked on DNS Level it would be better as protection prospective
Are you using the adguard app for windows?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This isn't comparing the web filtering of Bitdefender AV or browser extension products. It is comparing enterprise level DNS services of DNS Filter to BD and a few others. The BD blocking may be similar to their AV counterpart, but it also may be looking at other filtering as well for the comparison of who is better.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
This isn't comparing the web filtering of Bitdefender AV or browser extension products. It is comparing enterprise level DNS services of DNS Filter to BD and a few others. The BD blocking may be similar to their AV counterpart, but it also may be looking at other filtering as well for the comparison of who is better.
But its mentioned that they were comparing filters of malicious domains like malware, phishing,botnet ,c&c etc. I think...

Reactions: [correlate]

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Are you using the adguard app for windows?
Adguard.PNG

Reactions: [correlate]

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
But its mentioned that they were comparing filters of malicious domains like malware, phishing,botnet ,c&c etc. I think...
Still AV and extensions tend to be updated at a faster rate than DNS. But, maybe that has changed. In any case my point stands that they are comparing the DNS services and not comparing it to Bitdefender's AV. So it may explain why results are different from what the AV tests generally show.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
I tried using the app too. But after checking and testing using this post ->

I found that adguard app wasn't exactly encrypting my dns. Also, if you don't set it right, it changes its dns servers sometimes from the one that you have set. I saw that in dns leak test.
So, after finding out that it didn't encrypt my dns , as it should have, i stopped using it.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

Yes. Bitdefender has excellent web filtering!
You can complement it with Ublock, that's more than enough.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I tried using the app too. But after checking and testing using this post ->

I found that adguard app wasn't exactly encrypting my dns. Also, if you don't set it right, it changes its dns servers sometimes from the one that you have set. I saw that in dns leak test.
So, after finding out that it didn't encrypt my dns , as it should have, i stopped using it.
it has option for tunneling DNS over Https or TLS or DNScrypt options as below:

1651512279412.png

could you retest it again and tell me your thought regards

OTTO

Level 1
Verified
Jul 18, 2015
Bİtdefender web blocking used to be excellent however they fell from grace. Their virus engine is a beast though.
ı was a big fan of bitdefender but not anymore. After teting the webfilter of bitdefender, i noticed they are not that good anymore. So many phishing and fradulent websites slip past bitdefender's webfilter. Kaspersky on the other hand is a beast when it comes to web filter. Right now, i am using kaspersky and happy with it.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Bİtdefender web blocking used to be excellent however they fell from grace. Their virus engine is a beast though.
ı was a big fan of bitdefender but not anymore. After teting the webfilter of bitdefender, i noticed they are not that good anymore. So many phishing and fradulent websites slip past bitdefender's webfilter. Kaspersky on the other hand is a beast when it comes to web filter. Right now, i am using kaspersky and happy with it.
Nice but I think I heard some bad/sketchy news about kaspersky few months ago...

OTTO

Level 1
Verified
Jul 18, 2015
Nice but I think I heard some bad/sketchy news about kaspersky few months ago...
They might be true. But as an average user, i dont care really. If you are not a high profile person or government official, they wont care about you or me.
Besides due to war, kaspersky possibly lost customers in europe and usa and all the eyes are on them. They wont risk doing sketchy stuff as it will damage their business even more. There is also the fact those allegations towards kaspersky were never proven. I dont care about all the fuss. I just want the best option out there for my safety.
I dont like norton group(avast-avg-avira-norton,bullguard) group either. Norton bought them all one by one and i dont like one antivirus company with big money killing other competitors by buying them. Seriously if i wanted to use norton, i would use norton. But they keep buying every other competitors and ruining the competition in cyber security. I wonder if norton will try to buy bitdefender eset etc. If that happens, i will hate them even more.

Reactions: harlan4096

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021

It seems that the expression "one can't do everything perfectly alone" is correct ;)

Reactions: OTTO

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just tested BDTS with Ungoogled Chromium browser. Ungoogled Chromium is not one browser supported by Bitdefender. I believe Brave is also supported but not mentioned on the website

If you have BDTS, then

BitDefender TrafficLight extension - Not required as BDTS is protecting
BitDefender Anti-Tracker extension - Not required if you have uBO

1684672492317.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.